Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

14 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Was watching a reality TV show (About Americans bringing foreign partners over on K1) & one of the couples is a US guys with a girl from Ukraine.

So girl from Ukraine is deeply religious (Catholic) and he turns around and says he doesn't believe in God but thinks some advanced Alien species visiting earth can explain most of the stuff that happened in the bible.

At 1st I laughed, then I thought about it & thought both are equally ridiculous but at least this theory had more credence.... 

What if the "Man in the Cloud" was an Alien riding some kind of hovering device?

What if Jesus didn't really die but was put into a medical coma due to his injuries & "brought back to life" 3 days later [Bible Pushers please tell me this isn't possible so I can laugh at you some more] 

There is a lot of evidence to prove that aliens visited earth centuries ago. They could indeed have been regarded as gods, but it doesn't change the question of who or what created life the universe and everything, including them?

It's entirely possible that religious leaders got their inspiration to wear funny hats from the headgear the aliens wore.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Was watching a reality TV show (About Americans bringing foreign partners over on K1) & one of the couples is a US guys with a girl from Ukraine.

So girl from Ukraine is deeply religious (Catholic) and he turns around and says he doesn't believe in God but thinks some advanced Alien species visiting earth can explain most of the stuff that happened in the bible.

At 1st I laughed, then I thought about it & thought both are equally ridiculous but at least this theory had more credence.... 

What if the "Man in the Cloud" was an Alien riding some kind of hovering device?

What if Jesus didn't really die but was put into a medical coma due to his injuries & "brought back to life" 3 days later [Bible Pushers please tell me this isn't possible so I can laugh at you some more] 

For what purpose would they put him in a coma? The Romans ordered a guy to stick a spear in him to make sure he was dead, and then they posted guards outside his grave because they were warned that people would claim he came back from the dead, and they didn't want to risk it. And I am not sure, but the process for putting someone into a medical coma is probably complicated in front of a crowd while the subject is undergoing crucifixion.

What you suggest is some kind of inside job, but the Romans weren't on team Jesus.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:
39 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

For what purpose would they put him in a coma? The Romans ordered a guy to stick a spear in him to make sure he was dead, and then they posted guards outside his grave because they were warned that people would claim he came back from the dead, and they didn't want to risk it. And I am not sure, but the process for putting someone into a medical coma is probably complicated in front of a crowd while the subject is undergoing crucifixion.

What you suggest is some kind of inside job, but the Romans weren't on team Jesus.

You guys talk about these things as if they really happen, or even if they did, that happened as reported.

There is even a debate on even if Jesus ever existed. never mind actual events and specifics about actual event.

Though I am sure you all have gone over that ground and  those who believe, still do, and those who do not still do not, but it seems that those who believe are decreasing in size.

Personally I believe there was someone there , who taught some good things, that after his demise his disciples tried to spread his teachings, and so that people would believe in them embellished actual event,And that Constantine  the great    made a political decision , and that it was to his political interest and to the interest of the religious establishment that developed that such embellishment were reinforced and further developed .

And now we are where we are. 

Edited by sirineou
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

PMSL here, are you being serious with that? 

Did you see the guards posted outside of his tomb (It wasn't a grave, accounts say he was put into a cave & a stone door rolled across)

And at that time nobody (again according to accounts) expected him to come back from the dead (HINT if they did, it wouldn't have been a miracle would it).

Still laughing... 

Edit: And the process for putting somebody in a medical coma is a relatively simple procedure.... Can do it with a single injection, but is normally done with a <deleted> load of monitoring gear on site... 

Edited by Mike Teavee

5 minutes ago, sirineou said:

You guys talk about these things as if they really happen, or even if they did, that happened as reported.

There is even a debate on even if Jesus ever existed. never mind actual events and specifics about actual event.

Though I am sure you all have gone over that ground and  those who believe, still do, and those who do not still do not, but it seems that those who believe are decreasing in size.

Personally I believe there was someone there , who taught some good things, that after his demise his disciples tried to spread his teachings, and so that people would believe in them embellished actual event, so that Constantine  the great    made a political decision , and that it was to his political interest and to the interest of the religious establishment that developed that such embellishment were reinforced and further developed .

Thank you... Sums up my thoughts on this subject exactly... 

7 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

PMSL here, are you being serious with that? 

Did you see the guards posted outside of his tomb (It wasn't a grave, accounts say he was put into a cave & a stone door rolled across)

And at that time nobody (again according to accounts) expected him to come back from the dead (HINT if they did, it wouldn't have been a miracle would it).

Still laughing... 

Matthew 27:62 The Guard at the Tomb
The next day, that is, after the day of Preparation, the chief priests and the Pharisees gathered before Pilate and said, “Sir, we remember how that impostor said, while he was still alive, After three days I will rise.’ Therefore order the tomb to be made secure until the third day, lest his disciples go and steal him away and tell the people, ‘He has risen from the dead,’ and the last fraud will be worse than the first.”

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Personally I believe there was someone there , who taught some good things, that after his demise his disciples tried to spread his teachings, and so that people would believe in them embellished actual event,And that Constantine  the great    made a political decision , and that it was to his political interest and to the interest of the religious establishment that developed that such embellishment were reinforced and further developed .

I am not going to go into the debate about the evidence for a historical Jesus. That is too big a subject and I am not going to put in that kind of time.

The poster I replied to was making up his own version of what happened in a Biblical story. I pointed out how ludicrous his point of view was. The Romans certainly wouldn't have faked Jesus' death to generate a resurrection story, that is totally off the wall.

Even if you see the Bible as fiction, you can't just make up a new angle. and say that it is how it really happened, when the Bible is your source material in the first place.

Why don't you change the endings of all the books you disagree with.

Edited by canuckamuck

18 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

I am not going to go into the debate about the evidence for a historical Jesus. That is too big a subject and I am not going to put in that kind of time.

The poster I replied to was making up his own version of what happened in a Biblical story. I pointed out how ludicrous his point of view was. The Romans certainly wouldn't have faked Jesus' death to generate a resurrection story, that is totally off the wall.

Even if you see the Bible as fiction, you can't just make up a new angle. and say that it is how it really happened, when the Bible is your source material in the first place.

Why don't you change the endings of all the books you disagree with.

I agree with you that the assertion you were replying too was nonsensical. 

And you are right, the debate concerning the historical Jesus has being done to death, I am sure most of as have heard all the arguments and have made up our nings which side of the argument we fall on. I don't see any value in spending any more energy on it.

I agree , if the the resurrection is a myth and i think it is, it was certainly not the Romans who start it.

As far as the Bible is concerned, it has changed many times and there are many versions available ,so I guess why not another one now? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

Matthew 27:62 The Guard at the Tomb
The next day, that is, after the day of Preparation, the chief priests and the Pharisees gathered before Pilate and said, “Sir, we remember how that impostor said, while he was still alive, After three days I will rise.’ Therefore order the tomb to be made secure until the third day, lest his disciples go and steal him away and tell the people, ‘He has risen from the dead,’ and the last fraud will be worse than the first.”

OMB (Oh My Buddha) I'm literally rolling on the floor laughing here... 

As I've always said, I've never met a Canadian that I didn't like & I love you... You're so funny ???? 

Can't stop laughing ???? 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

OMB (Oh My Buddha) I'm literally rolling on the floor laughing here... 

As I've always said, I've never met a Canadian that I didn't like & I love you... You're so funny ???? 

Can't stop laughing ???? 

Thanks. You take defeat very well.

Edited by canuckamuck
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Thanks. You take defeat very well.

ROTF...LMFAO... Just when I thought you couldn't get any funnier... 

At least you've maintained the fact that I've never met a Canadian that I didn't like.... 

Edit: You probably wouldn't get Spitting Image (Encourage you to watch it as it proper takes the p1s5 out of us Brits) but one of the episodes has a song about South Africans

They should do a new one that goes...

Well I've never met a not nice Canadian

And that's not bloody surprising man

Because they're a bunch of great guys

Who love to drink a brew or 2 

???? 

Edit to add: I spent 18 months working in Jburg and met many, many nice South Africans, the above is a p1s5 take on us Brits and in no way aimed at as a dig at my ZA mates... 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Well, i am one of those "weirdos" who think that Jesus didn't die on the cross, but managed to fake his death, and was able to escape the persecution of the priests, with the help of his friends, some of which was rich and resourceful.

According to apocryphal gospels, Pilatus' wife was  a fervent disciple of Jesus as well, so i would not be surprised if Pilatus was instrumental in helping with the details of the escape.

As for the ones who don't believe that Jesus existed, pls explain me how, since thousands of years, he's well renown and respected as a great prophet in the Hindi religious and spiritual tradition.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, i am one of those "weirdos" who think that Jesus didn't die on the cross, but managed to fake his death, and was able to escape the persecution of the priests, with the help of his friends, some of which was rich and resourceful.

I don't believe he "rose from the dead" but the more plausible explanation is that the authorities, worrying about all the troublemakers on the loose in Jerusalem, executed a "Look, over there" maneuver, designed to remove the troublemakers by appealing to their credulity, and encouraging them to go back to where they came from

Edited by ThaiBunny

2 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

I don't believe he "rose from the dead" but the more plausible explanation is that the authorities, worrying about all the troublemakers on the loose in Jerusalem, executed a "Look, over there" maneuver, designed to remove the troublemakers by appealing to their credulity, and encouraging them to go back to where they came from

Jesus was accused by the priests, among other things, to be part of the Zealot group, which was a "terrorist organization" fighting the Roman occupation, possibly some of Jesus' friends may have been involved in the group.

5 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

As for the ones who don't believe that Jesus existed, pls explain me how, since thousands of years, he's well renown and respected as a great prophet in the Hindi religious and spiritual tradition.

There's a place in India that Jesus went on the missing years.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

There's a place in India that Jesus went on the missing years.

Apparently so.

I was in Kashmir many moons ago, in a village near Srinagar, and the local Brahmin told me that Christians pilgrims used to come since centuries to visit the tomb of some very important person.

I checked recently on the internet, but there are no clear conclusions about that.

It seems clear though, that Jesus spent part of his life in India.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

What I find hilarious is when atheists get upset about something they don't beloved in, or understand

Oh...we understand just fine. What I find hilarious is adults still believing in childish things, still needing imaginary "friends" and superstitions. :coffee1:

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Neeranam said:

By this childish post, you prove you have never even glimpsed the realm of the sacred.

The word God has become empty of meaning through thousands of years of misuse. I use it sometimes, but I do so sparingly. By misuse, I mean that people who have never even glimpsed the realm of the sacred, the infinite vastness behind that word, use it with great conviction, as if they knew what they are talking about. Or they argue against it, as if they knew what it is that they are denying. This misuse gives rise to absurd beliefs, assertions, and egoic delusions, such as 'My or our God is the only true God, and your God is false,' or Nietzsche's famous statement 'God is dead.'

The word God has become a closed concept. The moment the word is uttered, a mental image is created, no longer, perhaps, of an old man with a white beard, but still a mental representation of someone or something outside you, and, yes, almost inevitably a male someone or something.

Neither God nor Being nor any other word can define or explain the ineffable reality behind the word, so the only important question is whether the word is a help or a hindrance in enabling you to experience That toward which it points. Does it point beyond itself to that transcendental reality, or does it lend itself too easily to becoming no more than an idea in your head that you believe in, a mental idol?

Realm of the Sacred??? Umm...OK whatever dude. No need, nor interest. This fantabulous existence (aka life) keeps me plenty busy, occupied, fascinated, thrilled and joyous right here on planet Reality. :thumbsup:

13 hours ago, Neeranam said:

By this childish post, you prove you have never even glimpsed the realm of the sacred.

The word God has become empty of meaning through thousands of years of misuse. I use it sometimes, but I do so sparingly. By misuse, I mean that people who have never even glimpsed the realm of the sacred, the infinite vastness behind that word, use it with great conviction, as if they knew what they are talking about. Or they argue against it, as if they knew what it is that they are denying. This misuse gives rise to absurd beliefs, assertions, and egoic delusions, such as 'My or our God is the only true God, and your God is false,' or Nietzsche's famous statement 'God is dead.'

The word God has become a closed concept. The moment the word is uttered, a mental image is created, no longer, perhaps, of an old man with a white beard, but still a mental representation of someone or something outside you, and, yes, almost inevitably a male someone or something.

Neither God nor Being nor any other word can define or explain the ineffable reality behind the word, so the only important question is whether the word is a help or a hindrance in enabling you to experience That toward which it points. Does it point beyond itself to that transcendental reality, or does it lend itself too easily to becoming no more than an idea in your head that you believe in, a mental idol?

Good post.
Little piece of advice...don't waste your time with this kind of posts/posters. After trolling this thread for quite a while, regular posters (believers and non-believers alike) have learned to ignore him and have chosen to have a mature discussion instead of childish ramblings.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

If the saving of one's life, and the offer of eternal life, are childish things, then I wish to be a child forever.

Many years ago, when I was yet a child and my family was poor, we did something special for my brother's birthday--go to Pizza Hut.  With our large family and our financial situation, this was a rare event indeed!  On the way, however, while Dad was driving in the passing lane of a four-lane road, divided only by the double yellow stripes in the middle, a pickup beside us, whose driver did not see us, changed into our lane to pass the car ahead of it.  Dad did not see the pickup, as it was in the car's blind spot.  Suddenly, however, the steering wheel turned, putting us in the oncoming lane, though no cars were in it.  Dad was quite surprised.  He turned to me, sitting in the front passenger seat, to ask if I had jerked the wheel.  I hadn't.  I hadn't seen the pickup coming either.  My mother, in the back seat and holding two of my brothers, one in each arm, also said she hadn't turned the wheel, nor could have, as her arms were full.  My sister, and one brother in the seat behind her, who were both sitting on the side of the pickup, had thought they would be hit.  They might have been killed.  Had our car rolled as a result of the accident, more of us might have been killed.  But we had no accident because a supernatural force had spared us.

How would a skeptic explain this event?

If you don't believe in God, would you accept angels?

In my family, we know that God sent His angel to save us that day.  Before we travel in the car, we like to ask God for His protection.  And God has protected us many times.

I have many examples of how a higher power has protected me, and one time stopped me losing an eye. 

Unexplainable by "science" yet happened.

Of course the sceptics won't believe such things happen, as that would force them to re evaluate their belief.

However, at least one comes on here only to mock, not to debate or persuade.

• Thanks 1