Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

Well no one has posted since last friday ,come on boys only 577 pages i thought at least there would be a better response to this thread , have you all run out of things to say about the sky fairy? was only reading the other day that St Albans cathederal is going to have a painting of the last supper with a black Jesus ,well i know he was brown and reading reports from the time he was quite short with a bit of a humped back humped back,now that would have been better .still lots of Black People in St Albans ,i am sure i saw one there a few years ago.???? 

40 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, you have started this thread, and plenty of posters have explained the difference between God and religions. Some of us can even understand the difference between blind faith and reasonable faith, yet you keep mocking religion, thus beating a dead horse.. it should be obvious by now that ignorance doesn't belong only to religion, but it belongs to the man.

All he wants is for us to keep posting so that his ego can get another boost. He likes to congratulate himself for the longest thread on TV, yet contributed next to nothing. :coffee1:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

All he wants is for us to keep posting so that his ego can get another boost. He likes to congratulate himself for the longest thread on TV, yet contributed next to nothing. :coffee1:

Hmmm... that's probably a bit too harsh.  Although I have to admit I was not charmed with his post in which he mocked the subject for which he started this thread, and also that he seems to be more interested in the number of pages on the thread than the actual content.

However, the fact that he opened the thread, shows that there is at least some affinity with the subject from his part (and that actually goes for all those that posted on the thread).

>> In order to give a boost to the thread again (Ivor will thank me for this), posters could answer the question WHY they felt inclined to share their thoughts on the subject of God.

Edited by Peter Denis

39 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

WHY they felt inclined to share their thoughts on the subject of God.

There could be as many answers as the posters; personally, I think it's a very broad, but most interesting subject to debate. People are probably discussing it since the beginning of time.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Hmmm... that's probably a bit too harsh.  Although I have to admit I was not charmed with his post in which he mocked the subject for which he started this thread, and also that he seems to be more interested in the number of pages on the thread than the actual content.

However, the fact that he opened the thread, shows that there is at least some affinity with the subject from his part (and that actually goes for all those that posted on the thread).

>> In order to give a boost to the thread again (Ivor will thank me for this), posters could answer the question WHY they felt inclined to share their thoughts on the subject of God.

I'll answer by saying that, although I've cursed him, asked him many times why the worlds so screwed up, why children, and others, die from cancer. Why he put so many nasty things on this earth that kill millions, as if life wasn't hard enough. Why he doesn't step in and help his believers, and punish the rich that are destroying the earth. To me, again, in my case it's faith, that there is something better waiting for those that believe, and I wanted others that believe to share their thoughts, and to hear why others have given up on believing, and maybe something I say might make the ones that are on the borderline, change to believing again.

38 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Maybe harsh but I still believe it to be true. 

I will answer your question though.
For me it was a mixture of curiosity, to see how my arguments would hold up under closer scrutiny, both by others as well as my own. A sort of self inquiry perhaps. In fact, writing here helped me a lot and got me back into regular practice. For that, I must thank Ivor without reservations.
And the second, because I see a lot of ignorance on the subject. Not intended as stupidity, mind you, but there are however people who have a very superficial knowledge of both religion (external, intellectual knowledge) and spirituality (personal, subjective knowledge), which tends to bring in a lot of confusion and misunderstandings. 

My goal was to clear up some of that confusion and focus more on the rewarding and beautiful side of being a seeker. 
I'm well aware that I'm considered to be an arrogant know-it-all by some. That may be even true to a certain degree, but I believe the message is more important than the messenger. I have my flaws like everyone else. It is the purity of the message however that is of the utmost importance and will always be.

Edited by Sunmaster
  • Thanks 1

On 6/29/2020 at 7:21 PM, Sunmaster said:

The way I see it, there are 3 choices:

1) Nothing exists beyond the material, in which case it can have only happened in your mind. Following that, it can't be called a (spiritual) revelation and has therefore no bearing on the discussion about God or the Divine. In that light, it can only be called a mental glitch, so to speak.

2) There is more to life than what your 5 senses tell you, in which case your experience would seemingly be at odds with that. The Divine giving you a revelation that the Divine doesn't exist? If you don't believe in a Higher Power due to your experience, why even considering this option? It wouldn't make sense.

3) A 3rd option could be: There was a divine revelation, but due the limited capacity of a 13 year old to translate it and perhaps due to emotional distress involved, ended up corrupting the message.

Some more mundane explanations: bad digestion, it was a bad dream, an overactive imagination due to a recently viewed film, low blood sugar... ???? 

you missed option 4.

People that really dont care enough to decide but think those that really believe should shut up and stop trying to convert others.

2 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, you have started this thread, and plenty of posters have explained the difference between God and religions. Some of us can even understand the difference between blind faith and reasonable faith, yet you keep mocking religion, thus beating a dead horse.. it should be obvious by now that ignorance doesn't belong only to religion, but it belongs to the man.

No. In both instances its the ignorance of the person believing they are right.

Just now, Sujo said:

you missed option 4.

People that really dont care enough to decide but think those that really believe should shut up and stop trying to convert others.

It's actually a believers "job" to put out the word, because to us, it's the most important thing we can do in this life, and although we will take criticism from most, if we can help to save a soul, it's a good thing.

57 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Because its interesting to see that some never did grow out of fairy tales. Always kids at heart.

Just now, fredwiggy said:

It's actually a believers "job" to put out the word, because to us, it's the most important thing we can do in this life, and although we will take criticism from most, if we can help to save a soul, it's a good thing.

ahhh. The old argument of you know whats best for everyone. No wonder religion is the cause of most suffering.

Just now, Sujo said:

ahhh. The old argument of you know whats best for everyone. No wonder religion is the cause of most suffering.

Actually ignorance to life's rules is. I do know what's best for everyone, but there's only one I can save. Me. Time will give the answer to all.

53 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

Well, did you consider that this statement can just as easily refer to yourself as well?

53 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

Well, did you consider that this statement can just as easily refer to yourself as well?

I think he didn't.

1 hour ago, Sujo said:

you missed option 4.

People that really don't care enough to decide but think those that really believe should shut up and stop trying to convert others.

The fact that you felt the urge to post this comment, is testimony that you are not in the option 4 category (even though you probably think you are).

If you really didn't care, you would ignore the whole thread as background-noise produced by ignoramuses and it would leave you totally indifferent, or just somewhat amused by these childish fools that believe in things they cannot touch.

But you keep on posting here... attracted by something you deny as loud as possible.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

I do, thats why i dont go trying to convert. Unlike yourself.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Actually ignorance to life's rules is. I do know what's best for everyone, but there's only one I can save. Me. Time will give the answer to all.

You dont know lifes rules. You dont get to tell others that your rules are right. There is no one that can save anyone.

47 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

The fact that you felt the urge to post this comment, is testimony that you are not in the option 4 category (even though you probably think you are).

If you really didn't care, you would ignore the whole thread as background-noise produced by ignoramuses and it would leave you totally indifferent, or just somewhat amused by these childish fools that believe in things they cannot touch.

But you keep on posting here... attracted by something you deny as loud as possible.

How many pages and when did i start posting? I didnt say i was indiferent, if you did read my posts you would know that. Perhaps god didnt tell you.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Sujo said:

I do, thats why i dont go trying to convert. Unlike yourself.

Actually you do try to convince others of your point of view, just like everyone else. Only difference is that you do it without any valid arguments. ????????

Edited by Sunmaster
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Sujo said:

You dont know lifes rules. You dont get to tell others that your rules are right. There is no one that can save anyone.

I do know life's rules. They happen to correspond to Gods. I can tell anyone anything i want to tell them. It's up to them to decide. I can only save myself, as I said. It's up to them to save themselves.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Labeling people childish fools because they believe in God? Ignoramuses? Meaning you're the adult thinker here and everyone else is ignorant? Closed-minded people don't want their ideas challenged. They are typically frustrated that they can't get the other person to agree with them instead of curious as to why the other person disagrees. Closed-minded people are more interested in proving themselves right than in getting the best outcome. Myself, like others, have given their reasons, and listen to others. Everyone thinks their way is right. There is only one way that is right. I like to hear what other say, as I've mentioned. It strengthens my belief. I would like everyone on earth to be good, and to choose God. I know that won't happen, because we all have free will, and all were subject to things in our childhoods that made us think a certain way. Some were abused by people who believe in God, or forced to believe by punishment. This can turn someone off right into their adult lives, and they aren't willing to accept that the person who pushed God on them was wrong in the ways they did it, and it wasn't about the belief itself.