Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

9 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I never jump to conclusions. I'm stating things as they are. People have free will to do whatever they want. If ordered to do something, that's fear of reprisal. They can choose to walk away. If you join the military, you're taught to kill. It doesn't mean you have to aim to kill. Only from fear and a dictatorship, when you're forced to do evil, will free will be cancelled. It doesn't mean you want to do something wrong, it's because out of fear, you are being forced.

In my younger days I studied marketing, now in my recent days out interests "studied" social media, there is no free will, sorry, you might think there is, but so many things leading you on your way trough life. Quite simple things also actually. As long you believe, good for you

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes. They wanted to go. I joined up during the Vietnam war I did a trade and didn't go there, but everyone else on my basic joined up because they wanted to go there.

Oh, yes, and why do you think they wanted to? War heroes stories and movies? John Wayne characters? War against communism, lost hope for future, It sticks deeper than just signing up becsuse they think it is a good thing to kill commies.

I truly believed you had done some self realation studies, and knew better of all in here.

6 minutes ago, Tagged said:

In my younger days I studied marketing, now in my recent days out interests "studied" social media, there is no free will, sorry, you might think there is, but so many things leading you on your way trough life. Quite simple things also actually. As long you believe, good for you

Rubbish. I exercise free will every day, all day long. I exercise free will just by getting up. I'd rather stay in bed all day, and nothing is stopping me.

Now, if you are talking about something like being conscripted and sent to war, that's different but we can still refuse and go to jail, which is a free will choice.

Shortly I'm going to exercise free will and close my computer.

Just now, Tagged said:

There is free will, unless you are in a dictatorship. Even then, you can choose your actions. Tell me how you have no free will. Anyone can choose to do whatever they want. Like I said before, fear is what makes some not want to make that choice.

• Like 1

Just now, Tagged said:

Oh, yes, and why do you think they wanted to? War heroes stories and movies? John Wayne characters? War against communism, lost hope for future, It sticks deeper than just signing up becsuse they think it is a good thing to kill commies.

I truly believed you had done some self realation studies, and knew better of all in here.

Some go to war to kill. Some go to fight for peace, and to help other countries that are in a bad place. Some like to be heroes. Some were drafted and had no choice except to say no and hide. Even if they were arrested for breaking the law, they still made a choice. If they went to war, some chose not to kill, as the hero in Hacksaw Ridge, Desmond Doss did. They wanted to court martial him, but he fought and won, and became a hero because of it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Wanted to kill commies 55555555555555555555555555555555

They went because it was an adventure, something different, something exciting, something better than the alternative.

They knew it involved killing or being killed but the chances of dying were not high.

Decades of nursing gave me some insight into self and psych, but I hardly consider myself "better" than all in ( sic ) here. I also read a lot of psych based books, some of which were better than others. Pity I didn't learn that marriage is not a good idea before throwing my life away for a worthless woman, but if your opinion has merit it is that the little head guides much of our lives.

Just as well not everyone considers their lives set in stone. A life of school, work, marriage, kids, divorce and retirement does not await all.

58 minutes ago, VincentRJ said:

Are you saying that you are subservient to an imaginary alien in outer space. LOL if you are. ????

Really!! I think you mean that only humans can conceptualize what good and bad means, because of our capacity for abstract thought. In practice, 'good' is usually related to the survival and prosperity of the individual or group, and that which is perceived as a threat to one's survival, or the group's survival, is considered to be 'bad'. This applies to all animals and humans.

Most animals will kill to protect their offspring and/or territory, and/or feed themselves, and/or become the dominant male in a group by killing another male competitor. However, because humans are better organized, in larger groups and with larger brains and better skills, they can, and do kill with much greater efficiency and ferocity, in order to expand their territory and power, and/or defend the group from invaders.

All the wars throughout the history of human civilization demonstrate this instinctual characteristic of the human animal. Disgusting! We are the worst of all animals (apart from a few of us who are truly insightful ????  )

I am glad that finally you understood that is not religion the cause of all evil.☺

You guys can practice your free thought of free willas much you want, I know you dont! 

Cant stop me from thinking that. Is my right, and my free will  

God help you all! 

Not even god have free will! 

Edited by Tagged
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Tagged said:

You guys can practice your free thought of free willas much you want, I know you dont! 

God help you all! 

So you have free will, but God doesn't, oh the human mind is amazing ☺

Just now, Tagged said:

I never said I have free will! Nobody have, thats my statement!

God help you all! 

3 minutes ago, Tagged said:

I never said I have free will! Nobody have, thats my statement!

I partly agree with the fact that "free will" is not always free, but "free will" it's a relative concept. Yet, in your post you said: " is my right and my free will". Sorry to point that out, btw, you have gone from denying the existence of God, to knowing him so well that now you're saying he doesn't have a free will... but no worries, as they say, contradictions are a symptom of intelligence ☺

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

I partly agree with the fact that "free will" is not always free, but "free will" it's a relative concept. Yet, in your post you said: " is my right and my free will". Sorry to point that out, btw, you have gone from denying the existence of God, to knowing him so well that now you're saying he doesn't have a free will... but no worries, as they say, contradictions are a symptom of intelligence ☺

I never stated there is no god or gods! 

What I have been clear about, is no human knows him or know what he want, still a creator is bound by physical laws. It is not that complicated is it?

Edited by Tagged

3 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

You guys can practice your free thought of free will as much you want, I know you dont! 

God help you all! 

Irony

Edited by Tagged

3 hours ago, Tagged said:

I never stated there is no god or gods! 

What I have been clear about, is no human knows him or know what he want, still a creator is bound by physical laws. It is not that complicated is it?

Ok, I had the wrong impression then.

Actually yours is an interesting point.

Personally, I think that a creator can be subject to the physical forces, but who created those physical forces ?

Another point is, if we can understand some of the physical laws which rule the universe, in fact we can understand some aspect of God.

Personally, the more I look into it, the more I am sure of an intelligent design at work.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Ok, I had the wrong impression then.

Actually yours is an interesting point.

Personally, I think that a creator can be subject to the physical forces, but who created those physical forces ?

Another point is, if we can understand some of the physical laws which rule the universe, in fact we can understand some aspect of God.

Personally, the more I look into it, the more I am sure of an intelligent design at work.

And we are back to "Who created,,,,,,,, the creator(s)

Must have been Tor!

8 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Must have been Tor!

Well, as I said a zillion posts ago, I am a polytheist, and I am convinced that monotheism is just too simplistic, and,  in the past,politically convenient for the empires to divide and conquer..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, as I said a zillion posts ago, I am a polytheist, and I am convinced that monotheism is just too simplistic, and,  in the past,politically convenient for the empires to divide and conquer..

And we are back to the most essential word in history Belief

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tagged said:

Must have been Tor!

The unsolvable mystery.

Where did God come from to create life the universe and everything?

Even if one does not believe in God, where did everything in the universe come from?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The unsolvable mystery.

Where did God come from to create life the universe and everything?

Even if one does not believe in God, where did everything in the universe come from?

Yes, so then the most important will be

Be good, do your best, respect your mother earth. Some other will say mother and father, but for me Mother earth. The closest we can come to god is trough her!

Edited by Tagged

5 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Yes, so then the most important will be

Be good, do your best, respect your mother earth. Some other will say mother and father, but for me Mother earth. The closest we can come to god is trough her!

God created the world, therefore the world is God. Gaia is IMO another word for God.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Sunmaster said:

Things that can be created have a beginning and an end and are subject to time. God or the "energy" on the other  hand is another level, beyond time, and is therefore considered without a beginning or end. It makes no sense to ask who or what created God. God is the Absolute and infinite principle that always was and always will be.

Wrapping our heads around this is what creates so many misunderstandings. 

Good you know! Im also concluded and fall to rest happy knowing I do not know! Still interested to read and pay attention to myself and my surroundings, but not searching anymore! 

4 hours ago, Tagged said:

Good you know! Im also concluded and fall to rest happy knowing I do not know! Still interested to read and pay attention to myself and my surroundings, but not searching anymore! 

I don't "know" from direct experience...I'm not a buddha.

But based on my experience and from what I've learned from those who were buddha-like, this is the explanation that makes the most sense to me. 

I know I will never fully know, but I also know I will die trying. 

Edited by Sunmaster
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1