Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Read the link, quite amusing....

Oh me, mum bought me a globe when I was about 5, never thought about it before then...????

I'll help you find an Easter egg

Wernher Magnus Maximilian Freiherr von Braun (March 23, 1912 – June 16, 1977) was a German–born American aerospace engineer[3] and space architect. He was the leading figure in the development of rocket technology in Nazi Germany and a pioneer of rocket and space technology in the United States.[4]

The Easter egg is located on his head stone.

Edited by Heppinger

3 minutes ago, Heppinger said:

I'll help you find an Easter egg

Wernher Magnus Maximilian Freiherr von Braun (March 23, 1912 – June 16, 1977) was a German–born American aerospace engineer[3] and space architect. He was the leading figure in the development of rocket technology in Nazi Germany and a pioneer of rocket and space technology in the United States.[4]

The Easter egg is located on his head stone.

Really.....????.........Have I just been enlightened....................?  ????

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Really.....????.........Have I just been enlightened....................?  ????

haha no, I think your a long way off being "illuminated".     Just showing you what Werner and many others that understand aeronautic terms, such as "service ceiling" "absolute ceiling" and "coffin corner", know.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

It is a fair and honorable thing to do.
However it becomes less respectable, once one find the need to constantly brag about it.

I was talking in general and not me specifically, although I do try my best.

Seems some people have serious difficulties comprehending the difference between the two.

I appreciate you coming out of your hibernation to tell me that. I will now go in a corner and fustigate myself. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

I was talking in general and not me specifically, although I do try my best.

Seems some people have serious difficulties comprehending the difference between the two.

I appreciate you coming out of your hibernation to tell me that. I will now go in a corner and fustigate myself. ????

That will be 3 Hail Mary's and don't do it again......????................????

• Haha 1

On 8/10/2020 at 6:01 PM, Tagged said:

Thats to sure sir! Just admit you do not know, you think, and you believe, and the unsurten part of you, do not give you peace, because you still trying to convince your self by telling others how sure you are. 

Don't tell me what to believe and I'll do the same for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Don't tell me what to believe and I'll do the same for you.

It is more of a statemen what I believe, than what you believe, right? 

Have a good morning thaibeachlover, it is going to be a great one, coffe, just finished to rain, my gf is happy, I feel good,, life is good, and thats whats matters. What ever gets you going, makes the magic. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

Agree, freedom of thought is the only real freedom we have, and the infinite is the limit.

Freedom of thought is one thing, but the freedom express it, is totally different. I try at my best to toggle both with common sense and a healthy sense in this insane but beautiful world we live in. 

15 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Freedom of thought is one thing, but the freedom express it, is totally different. I try at my best to toggle both with common sense and a healthy sense in this insane but beautiful world we live in. 

Yes, you are not alone in that struggle, when I talk about freedom of thought, I mean just freedom of thought. 

There's a wonderful parable on the new testament, if we think of thoughts as seeds, we need good seeds and good soil, and good care, and then we have some good chances to get trees and fruit.

It may take some time to get the fruit, but then, time is not that important in the spiritual realms.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Yes, you are not alone in that struggle, when I talk about freedom of thought, I mean just freedom of thought. 

There's a wonderful parable on the new testament, if we think of thoughts as seeds, we need good seeds and good soil, and good care, and then we have some good chances to get trees and fruit.

It may take some time to get the fruit, but then, time is not that important in the spiritual realms.

I have use my time well, and I feel I have reached a very healthy way of thinking for my self, and what I allow myself to think. Maybe less what I allow myself to express in a conversation online or in a online debate. 

Always good to test what kind of reaction you will get on different topics and different statings, on different fora with international readers and writers. Many things I would have worded diffrent in a different settings, or not said at all, because it is different consequenses. I hate verbal conflicts, but still not avoiding them, or afraid to dissagree. It is a quite liberating test. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tagged said:

I have use my time well, and I feel I have reached a very healthy way of thinking for my self, and what I allow myself to think.

I really like your post, especially this sentence. 

For me, a great example of "we are not our thoughts", meaning that we can have control over what we think (and feel). The true Self is what is behind those thoughts and feelings. Many problems arise when one identifies with them and becomes like a helpless leaf, carried back and forth by the storm of emotions. You (meant as a general "you",...for those who like to nitpick) become a slave to the waves of emotions, which completely changes the perspective of a situation.

In fact, the importance of perspective has occupied me a lot lately. I already mentioned it a few posts ago, when I compared fredwiggy's interpretation of God to mine. He was wondering how I could have such opposing views to his interpretation, while still believing in God. That's when it became clear to me that 'perspective' must be the decisive factor when comparing the 2 worldviews. 
How can we test if our perspective (on life) is the highest it can possibly reach? I think that the best way is to see if there are any areas that are in conflict with our way of thinking. 
To make an example....if we get all worked up about politics, it means we are trapped in a dualistic conflict of right vs left, or democrat vs republican, or simply "I'm right vs the others are wrong". The higher perspective in this case would be to understand that it's not a matter of A VS B, but A WITH B. Just like the left hand and the right hand are both necessary for you to effectively do stuff. To transcend and include...

Here the Tao comes to mind again.

Tao – TAO.ORG

This principle can be applied to everything... for all kinds of conflicts such as "science VS spirituality"..."religion A VS religion B"... "free will VS predestination" or "conviction VS doubt"....and so forth.

The resolution of these conflicts are absolutely necessary for evolving to a higher (ever more inclusive) perspective. I also think that we all have our own sets of conflicts (tests) to work on. Some of us focus more on outer conflicts, some more on the inner ones, ...everyone is different and everyone is on the divine path, whether we are aware of it or not.

Now, this will get me in hot waters with some posters here, I'm sure....I also think that it's fair to view the different perspectives (interpretations of Life, interpretations of God) on a hierarchical scale.
An interpretation that is stuck in a conflict of "religion A VS religion B" for example, is by my definition "lower" than an interpretation that has learned to transcend and include the seemingly opposing issues. An interpretation of life that sees "us VS them" is in my opinion also lower than the higher "WE". 
So, while all interpretations and conflicts are necessary and "good" in a sense that they represent an opportunity for growth, I think it would be wrong to put them all on the same level. To make it extreme for the sake of the argument: an interpretation of life based on hate/separation/distrust/fear.....is lower than one based on love/inclusion/trust.

Sorry for the long and convoluted post. Hope someone will find some value in it.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sunmaster said:

Here the Tao comes to mind again.

Tao – TAO.ORG

This principle can be applied to everything... for all kinds of conflicts such as "science VS spirituality"..."religion A VS religion B"... "free will VS predestination" or "conviction VS doubt"....and so forth.

Very wise words.

I recently tried to apply that principle when applying for my 1 year extension of stay at my local IO.  I wanted to transcend the duality of applying for reason of MARRIAGE vs applying for reason of RETIREMENT.

But no matter how eloquently I pleaded that I am (re)tired of marriage, the Immigration officer wouldn't buy it...

Sorry @Sunmaster > I couldn't resist poking a little fun at your post.

And I am surely not laughing AT you, but WITH you and appreciate your insightful post.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

I really like your post, especially this sentence. 

For me, a great example of "we are not our thoughts", meaning that we can have control over what we think (and feel). The true Self is what is behind those thoughts and feelings. Many problems arise when one identifies with them and becomes like a helpless leaf, carried back and forth by the storm of emotions. You (meant as a general "you",...for those who like to nitpick) become a slave to the waves of emotions, which completely changes the perspective of a situation.

For me it have been training my mind as I do my body for better health. It have given very good resoults using a training program based on the priciples of our brains plasticity. It have improved my life qualtiy both mental health and physical health alot. 

When I got chronicle challenges it lead me out on a destructive path, where I had to turn high intensivity activity in to something more passiv. My drug have been extreme activities, and when no longer being able to do so I became depressive for a long period of my life. It took almost 15 years before I managed to turn it around to something positive. Doctors wanted to put me on a full program of medication when I first searched for help, but I was not ready for chemical balance the imbalance with medicine I thought would harm me more. 

Some will call it a mental brainwashing program, but it is so much more, when you learn to use your brain to stimulate your chemical process in your own brain, and make it stronger against outside negative influence as your own negative thoughts Something I guess most struggle with from time to time. 

It is huge area to cover, but these days it is easy to find something that fits you, and your approach to life, and also give A interesting insight  to the science behind it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Tagged said:

For me it have been training my mind as I do my body for better health. It have given very good resoults using a training program based on the priciples of our brains plasticity. It have improved my life qualtiy both mental health and physical health alot. 

When I got chronicle challenges it lead me out on a destructive path, where I had to turn high intensivity activity in to something more passiv. My drug have been extreme activities, and when no longer being able to do so I became depressive for a long period of my life. It took almost 15 years before I managed to turn it around to something positive. Doctors wanted to put me on a full program of medication when I first searched for help, but I was not ready for chemical balance the imbalance with medicine I thought would harm me more. 

Some will call it a mental brainwashing program, but it is so much more, when you learn to use your brain to stimulate your chemical process in your own brain, and make it stronger against outside negative influence as your own negative thoughts Something I guess most struggle with from time to time. 

It is huge area to cover, but these days it is easy to find something that fits you, and your approach to life, and also give A interesting insight  to the science behind it. 

Thank you very much for sharing this. Can I ask what the program is called?
I've recently been called brainwashed as well here, so welcome to the club. :thumbsup:

Edited by Sunmaster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/13/2020 at 11:51 AM, Tagged said:

It is more of a statemen what I believe, than what you believe, right? 

Have a good morning thaibeachlover, it is going to be a great one, coffe, just finished to rain, my gf is happy, I feel good,, life is good, and thats whats matters. What ever gets you going, makes the magic. 

Lucky you. Having sworn off girlfriends in western countries I don't have nor will have a girlfriend here, which does carry with it the burdens of being alone. However, my choice so must live with it.

If I can give you advice, don't get married and ruin a good thing.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Lucky you. Having sworn off girlfriends in western countries I don't have nor will have a girlfriend here, which does carry with it the burdens of being alone. However, my choice so must live with it.

Not sure what emotion to put here, but anyway thanks ???? 

I will finely marry my gf, since it is legal issues and also safety for the future where we can emmigrate. A bit more free if we have legal marriage to rely on. However the most important for me, is that she can follow me in the future, and not me staying here. I have my doubt about this country now, and it is growing on me this is the place I want to be old. 

There is good gf back in our places to, as much it depends on them to be good, it also depends on us to be realistic as good men. 

Here in thailand it is easier, because in most cases the girls do not have much to choose between, and they are not independent as the western girls is. We own the girls some safety i think and I believe that is right. But for god sake, keep the carrots coming, that is the most important. At once the carrots is gone, you are doomed, so it is not the marriage that ruins a perfect relationships, it is when you run out of carrots it is when the magic fades away. 

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Is that from the New or Old Testament...?   ????.........????

2 hours ago, transam said:

Is that from the New or Old Testament...?   ????.........????

From experience, I guess.

Although it's relative and subjective, I don't see many successful marriages around, do you ?

• Like 1

Just now, mauGR1 said:

From experience, I guess.

Although it's relative and subjective, I don't see many successful marriages around, do you ?

Hmm, mine (11 years) is doing fine, thanks God. ????

I can't speak for how "successful" their marriages are, but all my friends are all still married after 15 - 20 years. To me they seem OK too.
Maybe it's a generational thing? We are all early to mid 70s kids...

My parent's generation however was a bloodbath. Successful marriages are the exception.

I hope it's not just a matter of time!  ???? ???? ????

32 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

hope it's not just a matter of time!  ???? ???? ????

Too many factors to discuss, but surely natality is decreasing, I am 60, and I'd guess about half of my old friends didn't have children. Nowadays much lower natality than ever.. well you could say that it has nothing to do with the success of a marriage, but I'd disagree. I think marriage was invented to create a certain environment for the children, well, it'll be interesting to see how the society will develop.

As a final note, I was not born a sexist, but given the success of feminism, I think I have to be just a bit a mysogenist, just for the sake of the balance, you know ????