Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

6 minutes ago, TooBigToFit said:

Didn't John Lennon or one of the Beatles say something like we are more famous than God and that got the purple-haired moaning minnies raging in condemnation of the band?

Did u really not see my post above in direct response to you and alluding to that very thing? ????

Edited by Skeptic7

20 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Another famous song, dedicated to Lord Krishna. 

He got his inspiration from Lord Krisna, and famously, from He's so fine from the Chiffons. Was disappointed to see it was such a close copy as this is one of the first songs I remember liking as a kid.

Bought the Jesus Christ Superstar original soundtrack album at a second hand shop and loved it for a time. Saw the show in the 70's as a kid but it all seemed a bit serious.

Lyrics from King Herod's Song, familiar to fans, are appropriate to last nights debate about if Jesus was a thing:

So You are the Christ
You're the great Jesus Christ
Prove to me that You're divine
Change my water into wine
That's all You need do
And I'll know it's all true
C'mon King of the Jews
Jesus, You just won't believe
The hit You've made around here
You are all we talk about
The wonder of the year
Oh, what a pity
If it's all a lie
Still I'm sure that You can rock
The cynics if You try
So if You are the Christ
You're the great Jesus Christ
Prove to me that You're no fool
Walk across my swimming pool
If You do that for me
Then I'll let You go free
C'mon, King of the Jews

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Actually,  Lennon rectified his statement rather quickly

Not a retraction or apology by any means...

At the press conference, Lennon said: "I suppose if I had said television was more popular than Jesus, I would have got away with it. I'm sorry I opened my mouth.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Lyrics from King Herod's Song, familiar to fans, are appropriate to last nights debate about if Jesus was a thing:

This concept has been debated a few times.

while i don't know if Jesus really did the miracles in the narrative, I'm convinced that miracles don't happen on demand from humans, but they happen when the spirit decides to show up.

Many ill people go to Lourdes,  but a very tiny minority get healed.

If this leaves someone unsatisfied,  well, I'm so sorry but that's it ????

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

Btw, with all the respect, i liked the rebellious Stones more than the Beatles

Fair 'nuff. The Stones were and are still great. The Beatles were greater IMO and Lennon was correct...certainly more popular than Yeshua. ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

Yep, whatever he said,  and whatever your interpretation,  he realized he had said something silly.

Btw, with all the respect, i liked the rebellious Stones more than the Beatles. 

You mean those Stones who had to have a L & Mc song to get them on their way, after a Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry attempt.

There were The Beatles, then there were the rest.

And yes, they were more popular than JC at the time, and possibly still are.

• Like 1

Just now, KannikaP said:

You mean those Stones who had to have a L & Mc song to get them on their way, after a Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry attempt.

There were The Beatles, then there were the rest.

And yes, they were more popular than JC at the time, and possibly still are.

Yes if you like simple pop. She loves you yeah yeah. Catchy <deleted> imo

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Fair 'nuff. The Stones were and are still great. The Beatles were greater IMO and Lennon was correct...certainly more popular than Yeshua. ????

Right, sunshine, can you name 2 or 3 popular music bands from 2000 years ago ? No ? 1000 years ago ?

Can't you ? Well, I guess it's difficult for everyone. 

Now, I have good news for you, if you click again on the confused emoji, you'll feel better????

Glad to help.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Beatles maybe 5 good songs. Rest rubbish.

Getting off topic now Mr S. But you could start another one....Beatles vs Stones.   LOL

Edited by KannikaP
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Yes if you like simple pop. She loves you yeah yeah. Catchy <deleted> imo

Never heard of Rubber Soul...Revolver? Sergeant Pepper's?  Previously voted greatest album of all time, but no longer holds #1. The White Album? Abbey Road? Beatles far more talented, creative and progressive. And way more popular by a country mile.

Read and weep...

2020 and 2012 Rolling Stone Magazine agrees. All alone at #1 in 2020 edition of Rolling Stone Magazine in the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time are The Beatles with 9 albums...Stones 6. In 2012 Beatles had 10 albums, including Sgt Pepper's at #1...Stones 7. 

Zeppelin sold 111.5 million. Stones 66.5. Beatles more than both COMBINED. 

The Fab Four’s overall sales dwarf even Zeppelin, and they still add up to more when you throw in the numbers of the Stones.

2 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Never heard of Rubber Soul...Revolver? Sergeant Pepper's?  Previously voted greatest album of all time, but no longer holds #1. The White Album? Abbey Road? Beatles far more talented, creative and progressive. And way more popular by a country mile.

Read and weep...

2020 and 2012 Rolling Stone Magazine agrees. All alone at #1 in 2020 edition of Rolling Stone Magazine in the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time are The Beatles with 9 albums...Stones 6. In 2012 Beatles had 10 albums, including Sgt Pepper's at #1...Stones 7. 

Zeppelin sold 111.5 million. Stones 66.5. Beatles more than both COMBINED. 

The Fab Four’s overall sales dwarf even Zeppelin, and they still add up to more when you throw in the numbers of the Stones.

McDonalds sold the most burgers. Same same.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

Dear friends (atheists, believers and everything in between)

I know there's no need to announce it and it is really a bit cringeworthy tbh, but this will be my last post on this thread. Leaving without a goodbye would not be right either, especially after 2+ years contributing to this thread.

It was a fun rollercoaster. ???? I always tried to reply politely to posters who gave me the same level of respect. Those who were out seeking only confrontation I usually ignored, but at times couldn't help myself dishing out in equal manner. lol I'm especially glad that I could eventually find an amicable level of conversation with my nemesis. 55 (you know who you are)

This thread was a great way of sharpening my intellectual tools and more importantly, steered me back to the regular practice of meditation. Now, more then ever, I'm convinced that no amount of intellectual debating can equal direct experience. Now it's time to focus on other things in life.

That being said, I hope you all find what you are seeking and that it will make you more complete. It doesn't matter whether you believe or not, one day we will all face our last breath and what will matter at that point is only how much we were able to love and be loved. 

So long, and thanks for all the fish. ???? 

Live long and prosper. ????

Ok see u

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

I'm especially glad that I could eventually find an amicable level of conversation with my nemesis. 55 (you know who you are)

Me too.

Leaving just when we were breaking thru! ???? 555

It won't be the same without you and you will be missed. Especially by your side as you are ALL they ever had! 

Farewell...

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Indeed he did.

A brave man that knew what would happen to him and carried on anyway. Even soldiers at war have hope they won't die, but he knew he would die horribly.

A horrible death yes, but he also knew that in three days he would be raised and have his life back again, unlike soldiers who die and never get a second chance. As for God 'sacrificing' his only son, God knew he would soon resurrect him, so what was the sacrifice? I'm not trying to disrespect your discussion, but I do wonder about many things such as this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

Dear friends (atheists, believers and everything in between)

I know there's no need to announce it and it is really a bit cringeworthy tbh, but this will be my last post on this thread. Leaving without a goodbye would not be right either, especially after 2+ years contributing to this thread.

It was a fun rollercoaster. ???? I always tried to reply politely to posters who gave me the same level of respect. Those who were out seeking only confrontation I usually ignored, but at times couldn't help myself dishing out in equal manner. lol I'm especially glad that I could eventually find an amicable level of conversation with my nemesis. 55 (you know who you are)

This thread was a great way of sharpening my intellectual tools and more importantly, steered me back to the regular practice of meditation. Now, more then ever, I'm convinced that no amount of intellectual debating can equal direct experience. Now it's time to focus on other things in life.

That being said, I hope you all find what you are seeking and that it will make you more complete. It doesn't matter whether you believe or not, one day we will all face our last breath and what will matter at that point is only how much we were able to love and be loved. 

So long, and thanks for all the fish. ???? 

Live long and prosper. ????

Hope to see your thoughts and ideas on other topics. Best wishes. 

5 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

This concept has been debated a few times.

while i don't know if Jesus really did the miracles in the narrative, I'm convinced that miracles don't happen on demand from humans, but they happen when the spirit decides to show up.

Many ill people go to Lourdes,  but a very tiny minority get healed.

If this leaves someone unsatisfied,  well, I'm so sorry but that's it ????

As I've mentioned before in this long thread, 'so-called' or 'apparent' miracles have happened frequently throughout human history. In science, it's a concept known as 'the placebo effect'. You must have heard of it. ????

There's a perfect example in the New Testament. The incident occurred while Jesus was traveling to Jairus' house, amid a large crowd, according to Mark.

A woman was there who had been subject to bleeding for twelve years. She had suffered a great deal under the care of many doctors and had spent all she had, yet instead of getting better she grew worse. When she heard about Jesus, she came up behind him in the crowd and touched his cloak, because she thought, “If I just touch his clothes, I will be healed.” Immediately her bleeding stopped and she felt in her body that she was freed from her suffering.

You can describe that as a miracle, or a placebo effect. The efficacy of all newly developed drugs have to be compared with a placebo before they can be approved, using a double-blind test where neither the doctor nor the patient knows whether it is the new drug or a placebo that is being administered. If the drug, on average, produces better results than the placebo, then it's approved, provided there are no 'known' harmful side effects at the time, although such side-effects can often occur many years later, which is a major problem of artificially created drugs.

The following linked article provides lots of details and a good overview of the placebo effect, but you probably need an IQ of at least 100 to understand and appreciate it. ????

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/7/7/15792188/placebo-effect-explained

16 minutes ago, VincentRJ said:

The following linked article provides lots of details and a good overview of the placebo effect, but you probably need an IQ of at least 100 to understand and appreciate it. ????

Oh, so if i read your article, and i don't appreciate it, it would mean i have a low IQ... how nice of you ????

Yes, I know what placebo is, i consider any placebo effect case to be a miracle.

Actually i consider life itself a miracle

5 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Oh, so if i read your article, and i don't appreciate it, it would mean i have a low IQ... how nice of you ????

I wrote 'probably', which means I'm not certain. ????

"Yes, I know what placebo is, i consider any placebo effect case to be a miracle."

But not as great a miracle as a modern drug which has proven to be, during its development, more effective than a placebo. Right?

"Actually i consider life itself a miracle."

I would agree, depending on your definition of the word 'miracle'. If you mean, 'A wonderful, strange or marvelous thing', which is one definition of miracle, then I agree.

However, if you define miracle as 'An event that appears inexplicable by the laws of nature and so is held to be supernatural in origin', then I would disagree. The theory of evolution is the best explanation for life, and as we continue with the genetic coding of various forms of life, and discover that we share a certain percentage of our genes with every other creature, and even with plants, then the theory of Evolution is strengthened. The following link provides a simple summary of the situation.

"Research shows that 99.9 percent of the genetic information in DNA is common to all human beings. The remaining 0.01 percent is responsible for differences in hair, eye and skin color, height and propensity to certain diseases. Scientists believe that all life evolved from a common ancestor, which means that humans also share DNA sequencing with all other living organisms. Humans share DNA with creatures closer in the evolutionary line and with common ancestors to a greater extent than with those further removed. Top on the list are the great apes, while lesser apes, monkeys and prosimians are a little further removed. Other mammals are further still, followed by insects, plants and more rudimentary life forms."

https://sciencing.com/what-is-the-haploid-diploid-cell-number-for-a-monkey-12732203.html