Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

30 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I can accept your point of view, but even if I'd embrace it, no one can deny the existence of imagination. 

Although imagination itself may be useless in many cases, no one would deny the importance of imagination in our lives.

Since aeons people have been discussing the existence of God, and we're still discussing it, so it's not like all the believers are nuts or vice-versa. 

Imagination is great. It's not only fun, it's necessary for creativity.

And it has nothing to do with god. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

We'll agree to disagree once again then, as imagination is infinite, exactly like God. 

I won't go as far as to proclaim that imagination IS God though ????

8 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

We'll agree to disagree once again then, as imagination is infinite, exactly like God. 

I won't go as far as to proclaim that imagination IS God though ????

How so?

How could this even be demonstrated or proven?

15 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I agree with the connection to nature. And that is not really surprising because we all exist on this earth together since a long long time.

But what does have god to do with that?

Definition god, creator, supernatural emperor of universes and universes is a wide specter of faith and belief as well trust. 

I do not feel connected to those phrases but just look around, there have to be something before us, that put all this in emotion? 

Seems fungi is part of the answer, both for creation of our world and mybe also the reasons people started to see a deeper connection. 

I just feel great and connected being in the nature and is not any religious who speak or talk about it to others, except in this tread.

23 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yep.

Also, as far as I can tell, theists don't claim God is merely a product of the imagination; they claim God actually exists on a physical level, e.g., is a causal agent behind observable physical phenomena, etc.

I can't believe that this post is still going.  Hasn't everything been said on the subject, by both rational thinkers and the deluded religious folk, or will it continue until the Second Coming? 

For the avoidance of doubt, I am not at all religious, so my 'Second Coming' is just a great Saturday night with a talented hooker. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

For the avoidance of doubt, I am not at all religious, so my 'Second Coming' is just a great Saturday night with a talented hooker. 

That you just do not know yet, can come times you need something or someone to hold on to ????

Many people get second thoughts when times comes to an end.

6 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

I can't believe that this post is still going.  Hasn't everything been said on the subject, by both rational thinkers and the deluded religious folk, or will it continue until the Second Coming? 

That is definitely the best definition of 'Second Coming' I ever heard about.

1 minute ago, mauGR1 said:

For what we know, even the concept of "infinite" could be a fabrication of our minds.

A great quote from Albert Einstein:

'I only know of two things that are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity, and I'm not at all sure about the Universe'.

Seems appropriate here. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

Still a Saturday night. 

Or was it Sunday? 

Well any day can be a Saturday as long you believe it, and a virgin Mary or Magdalena doing miracles for you, can make any man religious with help of good aged whiskey

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And I thought god is that guy in the sky who is watching everybody.

5d5.png

Perhaps some folks see it in that way, personally it doesn't make sense to me.

Yet, I've come to the conclusion that I've better to accept the existence of nonsense, as it seems to be  part of life in this world ????

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

'I only know of two things that are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity, and I'm not at all sure about the Universe'.

Seems appropriate here. 

Even more stupid to misquote Albert Einstein in a qoute he most likely did not express!

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/05/04/universe-einstein/?amp=1

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

Seems appropriate here. 

I don't think that discussing the existence of God is the pinnacle of human stupidity, but you're entitled to your opinion. 

I like that quote though, and i think Einstein was referring to war, violence and the such.

16 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Even more stupid to misquote Albert Einstein in a qoute he most likely did not express!

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/05/04/universe-einstein/?amp=1

Even funnier is the irony of quoting "Einstein" to make a point, when it is well known that Einstein himself, although he didn't use the word "God", believed in a cohesive, intelligent force that governs the universe. 

Edited by Sunmaster
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

I agree, but believing in a God is. 

If so, atheists and agnostics would be, on an average, much more intelligent than believers. 

Are there any scientific studies which support that theory?

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

Even funnier is the irony of quoting "Einstein" to make a point, when it is well known that Einstein himself, although he didn't use the word "God", believed in a cohesive, intelligent force that governs the universe. 

"He said he believed in “Spinoza’s God” – referring to Baruch Spinoza, a 17th-century Dutch thinker – “who reveals himself in the lawful harmony of the world, not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and the doings of mankind”.

On another occasion, he criticised “fanatical atheists whose intolerance is of the same kind as the intolerance of the religious fanatics”."

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/dec/04/physicist-albert-einstein-god-letter-reflecting-on-religion-up-for-auction-christies

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

I agree, but believing in a God is. 

And Einstein actually said this 

On another occasion, he criticised “fanatical atheists whose intolerance is of the same kind as the intolerance of the religious fanatics”."

• Like 1

I think this was brought up earlier in the thread.

What is 'the devil'?

There are probably thousands of references to 'the devil' in popular culture, yet no one seems to know what it means or everyone seems to think it doesn't mean anything? 

Films:

The Devil Wears Prada

Devil's Advocate

Books:

Outwitting the Devil - Napolean Hill

John Milton - Paradise Lost

Music:

Rolling stones - Sympathy For The Devil

Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

Don Maclean - American Pie

Chris DeBurgh - Spanish Train

etc ...

Edited by save the frogs

8 hours ago, Neeranam said:

God obviously existed well before man.  You don't need to be Einstein to realize this.

You'd most certainly need to be not Einstein to believe this. He was famously agnostic and widely quoted as saying belief in a personal god was childish.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

I think you're wrong there Sunmaster. Einstein was an atheist, he did use the word god very loosely for things we don't understand, Stephen Hawking did the same and he was an atheist. I don't know why religious people quote Einstein, why not quote Isaac Newton he was religious and so believed in a personal god, he was also smarter than Einstein IMO.   

12 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

I'm not saying that you're wrong,  and perhaps its just me, but i cannot see God as a separate entity from humans,  animals, plants and minerals. 

I see it more like a sort of conscious "energy' pervading everything visible and invisible. 

As you know, I believe that God is in everything ( everything is just electricity at it's core- it's just how the electrons etc are arranged to make things ), I just don't believe that God can be given human emotions. To God, I'm sure, everything is just as important as everything else ie a virus is as important as a human, so why would God be more considerate towards one part of creation over another?

Why would a being that created black holes to destroy entire solar systems save an individual human being? Obviously God doesn't anyway, so the question is moot.

Up to you.

5 hours ago, Elad said:

I think you're wrong there Sunmaster. Einstein was an atheist, he did use the word god very loosely for things we don't understand, Stephen Hawking did the same and he was an atheist. I don't know why religious people quote Einstein, why not quote Isaac Newton he was religious and so believed in a personal god, he was also smarter than Einstein IMO.   

Being atheist does not prevent one believing in intelligent design. IMO atheism is more about rejecting the religious aspect, than faith.

I could be described as an atheist on that basis, as I reject religion.