Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

40 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

Finally, here is something I just found while browsing for pictures. It's about a scientist who found answers in spiritual practice. A scientist who believes in spiritual stuff?!? Heresy!!! 555
https://upliftconnect.com/a-scientists-spiritual-awakening/

That's an excellent and inspiring article. Thanks. There's a lot of profound wisdom in the fundamental principles of Buddhism. However, the religion of Buddhism, as practiced by most lay people who claim to be Buddhists, is something else.

Gautama Buddha did not create the religion of Buddhism. That came later, with all the exaggerations and mumbo jumbo nonsense which was created to appeal to the masses, a bit like the current 'climate change' alarmism. ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AYJAYDEE said:

In a Creator? Nope! I gods as other types of sentient beings?  Possible. I don't disbelieve at least. Relevance to my existence? None!

Are you not the creator of your post therefore can be called "a creator"?Doesn't science say the earth was created?Would that not suggest that the events or forces that contributed to the creation of Earth could be labeled the "creator" of Earth?If something is created it seems to me there must be a creator,wether the creator is a series of events,forces (gravity) or a person it is still the creator of the creation.When you say "a creator" are you meaning "the creator" as in God or are you saying that you don't believe anything can be created and therefore don't believe that something can be "a creator"?

3 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Are you not the creator of your post therefore can be called "a creator"?Doesn't science say the earth was created?Would that not suggest that the events or forces that contributed to the creation of Earth could be labeled the "creator" of Earth?If something is created it seems to me there must be a creator,wether the creator is a series of events,forces (gravity) or a person it is still the creator of the creation.When you say "a creator" are you meaning "the creator" as in God or are you saying that you don't believe anything can be created and therefore don't believe that something can be "a creator"?

I summarised his post as "Don't know, don't care". The title of this thread implies that it's for those who do care to explain why

Edited by ThaiBunny
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

The third post about the "Positive God-interpretation" is dedicated to literature.

This is a subjective list and doesn't want to be a "Top 10 Spiritual Best Sellers". Certain books find their way to us just at the right time and anchor themselves in our hearts. Sometimes they seed an idea that blossoms up years later. Some of them need to be read several times and each time we discover something new. Some books teach us more than 1000 sermons. Some books answer questions, others raise many more.

These books are the closest to my heart.

Image result for paramahansa yogananda

This book is truly amazing. The love Yogananda feels for God can be felt in every sentence and makes this book an all time classic when it comes to spiritual literature. My number 1.

Image result for the glass bead game
I really like this book. It's a novel set in the future, were a group of people play a game wherein one must be able to build a philosophy that includes every human discipline. A first step to an integral philosophy.

Image result for tao te ching

An old book, but with timeless pearls of wisdom.

Image result for integral theory

All books by Ken Wilber. A modern day philosopher and transpersonal psychologist. The developer of the Integral Theory: Integral theory is Ken Wilber's attempt to place a wide diversity of theories and thinkers into one single framework. It is portrayed as a "theory of everything", trying "to draw together an already existing number of separate paradigms into an interrelated network of approaches that are mutually enriching.
Not an easy read, but very very interesting.

Image result for spiral dynamics

Don Edward Beck is a teacher, geopolitical advisor, and theorist focusing on applications of large scale psychology, including social psychology, evolutionary psychology, organizational psychology and their effect on human sociocultural systems. 

freedom.jpg

A leading spiritual and philosophical thinker. A captivating read.

image-asset.jpeg

Simple and to the point.

Finally, here is something I just found while browsing for pictures. It's about a scientist who found answers in spiritual practice. A scientist who believes in spiritual stuff?!? Heresy!!! 555

Yes interesting read and thanks for the Krishnamurti recommendation I find it easy to relate to his way of thinking from what I've read so far.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO he isn't asking questions to elicit an answer, he just wants to rubbish anyone that has faith. Also, he hasn't raised anything that proves there is no God, so his disbelief is based on no more than "faith" that there isn't a God.

You're mistaking scepticism for faith. They are opposites

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 1:29 PM, ThaiBunny said:

Why do you need anything to believe in? What's the point?

Everyone has to believe in something- that a genetic program. If we don't believe in something, why live at all? 

It doesn't have to be a belief in God, or a belief in no God, it can be a belief that we will find "true" love ( which IMO is as false as any belief ever was ), or just that the sun will rise every day.

There are people with no belief/ no hope, and they often end up killing themselves.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

You're mistaking scepticism for faith. They are opposites

I disagree. IMO atheism is just the opposite side of the coin of faith. Both belief and disbelief are grounded in faith that one's belief is the right one.

It's impossible for a human to prove that God exists, ergo it's impossible to prove that God does not exist.

The human brain is incapable of understanding God, so it's really a waste of time jumping up and down and demanding that everyone else accepts what one believes.

None of us has the power to deduce God, as we are just specks of dust on an insignificant planet in an insignificant galaxy in an infinite universe.

29 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

we are just specks of dust on an insignificant planet in an insignificant galaxy in an infinite universe.

Finally something which makes sense and on which we agree. Of course the nonsense preceding had to be cut out! ????

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I disagree. IMO atheism is just the opposite side of the coin of faith. Both belief and disbelief are grounded in faith that one's belief is the right one.

First this sentence does not make much sense. "Both belief and disbelief are grounded in faith that one's belief is the right one. "  so both belief and disbelief are both beliefs

Atheism is as much a belief as abstinence is a sexual position.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

First this sentence does not make much sense. "Both belief and disbelief are grounded in faith that one's belief is the right one. "  so both belief and disbelief are both beliefs

Atheism is as much a belief as abstinence is a sexual position.

Well both include the word "belief".

Given that it is impossible for a human to even comprehend the "mind" of God, and it is impossible for a human to prove or disprove that God exists, all that is left is faith in one's position- the ying and yang of belief.

Given that there is no proof that god does not exist ( just as there is no proof that God exists ), atheism is a belief that God does not exist.

That's my belief, and I'm sticking to it.

BTW, I would consider that abstinence is a sexual decision, though not a "position", LOL. I hope I don't have to explain that.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Given that there is no proof that god does not exist

Impossible to prove a negative, 

Can you provide proof  that leprechauns don't exist. all you can do is provide evidence.

Atheists are not convinced by the evidence the theists provide to support their extraordinary claim. If one wants to convince me of the existence of Yahweh provide me with convincing evidence, until such time I remain unconvinced and an Atheist . 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's impossible for a human to prove that God exists, ergo it's impossible to prove that God does not exist.

The human brain is incapable of understanding God, so it's really a waste of time jumping up and down and demanding that everyone else accepts what one believes.

None of us has the power to deduce God, as we are just specks of dust on an insignificant planet in an insignificant galaxy in an infinite universe.

Atheism is NOT scepticism. Atheism asserts there is no God. Scepticism says "Unlikely, on the balance of probabilities". As the French mathematical physicist Laplace remarked to the Emperor Napoleon when asked about the existence of God, "I have no need of that hypothesis"

In Scottish criminal courts there are three possible verdicts - Guilty, Not Guilty, Not Proven. The third verdict represents scepticism

Edited by ThaiBunny

14 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO he isn't asking questions to elicit an answer, he just wants to rubbish anyone that has faith. Also, he hasn't raised anything that proves there is no God, so his disbelief is based on no more than "faith" that there isn't a God.

Yep, one may add that to put all the faith in what is called official science is rather inconsiderate.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2019 at 6:43 PM, Sunmaster said:

The third post about the "Positive God-interpretation" is dedicated to literature.

This is a subjective list and doesn't want to be a "Top 10 Spiritual Best Sellers". Certain books find their way to us just at the right time and anchor themselves in our hearts. Sometimes they seed an idea that blossoms up years later. Some of them need to be read several times and each time we discover something new. Some books teach us more than 1000 sermons. Some books answer questions, others raise many more.

These books are the closest to my heart.

Image result for paramahansa yogananda

This book is truly amazing. The love Yogananda feels for God can be felt in every sentence and makes this book an all time classic when it comes to spiritual literature. My number 1.

Image result for the glass bead game
I really like this book. It's a novel set in the future, were a group of people play a game wherein one must be able to build a philosophy that includes every human discipline. A first step to an integral philosophy.

Image result for tao te ching

An old book, but with timeless pearls of wisdom.

Image result for integral theory

All books by Ken Wilber. A modern day philosopher and transpersonal psychologist. The developer of the Integral Theory: Integral theory is Ken Wilber's attempt to place a wide diversity of theories and thinkers into one single framework. It is portrayed as a "theory of everything", trying "to draw together an already existing number of separate paradigms into an interrelated network of approaches that are mutually enriching.
Not an easy read, but very very interesting.

Image result for spiral dynamics

Don Edward Beck is a teacher, geopolitical advisor, and theorist focusing on applications of large scale psychology, including social psychology, evolutionary psychology, organizational psychology and their effect on human sociocultural systems. 

freedom.jpg

A leading spiritual and philosophical thinker. A captivating read.

image-asset.jpeg

Simple and to the point.

Thanks again 'Sunmaster' and having recently re-read the autobiography of Yogananda, i can say that it's definitely much, much more than a book.

Couple of years ago i thought i had to choose a specific spiritual path, because reading too many different theories and explanations can be interesting but a bit confusing, still i agree very much with your selection.

As the old wise Ramakrishna used to say, there are many paths to climb the top of a mountain, the choice is yours.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Given that it is impossible for a human to even comprehend the "mind" of God, and it is impossible for a human to prove or disprove that God exists, all that is left is faith in one's position- the ying and yang of belief.

And yet humans not only act ,but kill others one on their comprehension of what God wants of them.

Wouldn't it be funny if "if "God" wanted them to be Atheists?

12 minutes ago, sirineou said:

And yet humans not only act ,but kill others one on their comprehension of what God wants of them.

Wouldn't it be funny if "if "God" wanted them to be Atheists?

In fact, Lord Buddha was against the fanaticism of certain religious types; the problem is that, religion or not, we have to deal anyway, in this world, with a certain amount of crazy individuals.

23 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

In fact, Lord Buddha was against the fanaticism of certain religious types; the problem is that, religion or not, we have to deal anyway, in this world, with a certain amount of crazy individuals.

I don't remember where in my readings  , perhaps you point me out to the sourse, but I remember reading the following story the Lord Buddha told to one of his disciples  when asked about God.

He told of the story of the traveler who was attacked by thieves and mortally wounded was left on the side of the road to die. His cries of help was heard by an other traveler who approached the wounded man. 

-I am hurt and dying said the wounded man, please help me. 

-Who did this to you asked the good samaritan, 

-some thieves, please help 

-what did they wear asmed the good samaritan

-could not see it was dark. Please help

-do you know their names , asked the good samaritan 

at which time the wounded man died.

The moral of the story, after we heal the wounds that cause our suffering we can talk about their source. 

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I don't remember where in my readings  , perhaps you point me out to the sourse, but I remember reading the following story the Lord Buddha told to one of his disciples  when asked about God.

He told of the story of the traveler who was attacked by thieves and mortally wounded was left on the side of the road to die. His cries of help was heard by an other traveler who approached the wounded man. 

-I am hurt and dying said the wounded man, please help me. 

-Who did this to you asked the good samaritan, 

-some thieves, please help 

-what did they wear asmed the good samaritan

-could not see it was dark. Please help

-do you know their names , asked the good samaritan 

at which time the wounded man died.

The moral of the story, after we heal the wounds that cause our suffering we can talk about their source. 

Honestly, that's the first time i hear this story, but although one may superficially agree with the moral of the story, i think it's most important to understand the source of the suffering.

According to Lord Buddha, pls correct me if i'm wrong, the most powerful source of suffering is attachment, and i find myself in full agreement.

• Like 1

I would much rather trust a guy who's been meditating his whole life in a cave, than a guy who knows the bible by heart. Even better, I rather trust my own experience through meditation and the practice of awareness. 
Have you got anything else to show for than this endless stream of bible citations? Anything that comes from you directly?

• Like 1