Perfect Poached Eggs

Cheeky's B&S recipe and snapshot has me drooling. Now, can y'all help with poached egg how-tos? They are my favourite, but I must confess, I really hate cleaning the scum out of the pan so I usually soft boil.

And look at how perfectly shaped that egg is in CF's photo. Use a ring? Frypan and boiling water? Fresh or older eggs? I ate some in a Thai cafe once, but I could really taste vinegar and it put me off.

Cheeky's B&S recipe and snapshot has me drooling. Now, can y'all help with poached egg how-tos? They are my favourite, but I must confess, I really hate cleaning the scum out of the pan so I usually soft boil.

And look at how perfectly shaped that egg is in CF's photo. Use a ring? Frypan and boiling water? Fresh or older eggs? I ate some in a Thai cafe once, but I could really taste vinegar and it put me off.

The way I do it, is 1 egg at a time.

Break egg in to a cup, if you break into water straight from the shell they tend have a string effect to them.

Boil water in a small saucepan, when the water is boiling turn heat off and stir the water until you make a VORTEX in the middle. Then poor egg in straight away. Leave in hot water for 3 - 3.5 min.

The VORTEX keeps the egg in shape, do not use fresh eggs, 3 day - 1 week old are the best.

Hope that helps Jet

I suspect the reason that you had tasted vinegar in the eggs was because-

one method of poaching an egg is to pour a small amount of vinegar into the boiling water. The vinegar won’t disperse and when you drop the egg into the area with the vinegar the egg will stay confined .

Jim

:o

While I consider myself a pretty good cook I must admit I have never fully mastered a perfect poached egg (probably through lack of trying). I now tend to steam my eggs in small bowls using my trusty wok and a bamboo steamer. Perfect every time.

While I consider myself a pretty good cook I must admit I have never fully mastered a perfect poached egg (probably through lack of trying). I now tend to steam my eggs in small bowls using my trusty wok and a bamboo steamer. Perfect every time.

out of the shell? small bowls already hot? water?

out of the shell? small bowls already hot? water?

Crack the eggs into a small bowl (Discard Shell :D ). Small room temp bowls (I use small chinese style rice bowls with a curve ib the bottom). Place in steamer over boiling water (we wont get into how to boil water at this point :o ). Should take 3-5 minutes depending on how intense your heat source is. Practice a couple of times to get that right. Enjoy.

The way I do it, is 1 egg at a time.

Break egg in to a cup, if you break into water straight from the shell they tend have a string effect to them.

Boil water in a small saucepan, when the water is boiling turn heat off and stir the water until you make a VORTEX in the middle. Then poor egg in straight away. Leave in hot water for 3 - 3.5 min.

The VORTEX keeps the egg in shape, do not use fresh eggs, 3 day - 1 week old are the best.

Hope that helps Jet

I'll try this tomorrow, never heard of it before.

I ALWAYS break eggs into a cup first, broke three eggs into a pan once and the fourth went BANG and showered the lot with vile smelling rotten egg.

One of my girls really likes them like that. I use the microwave on medium, crack an egg into a cup or ramekin, dot of butter, tablespoon of water and zap for between 30 seconds and one minute depending on how done you like the yolks. In my experience it is better to slightly undercook them because by the time you have them out of the cup onto the toast they have over cooked.

One of my girls really likes them like that. I use the microwave on medium, crack an egg into a cup or ramekin, dot of butter, tablespoon of water and zap for between 30 seconds and one minute depending on how done you like the yolks. In my experience it is better to slightly undercook them because by the time you have them out of the cup onto the toast they have over cooked.

:o When I get up into the hi-tech phase, I'll try that.