Mystery weather

RickBradford

Reading the Thai Meteorological Department's weekly reports, I came on some odd wording, as follows:

เช้าตรู่ ท้องฟ้ามีเมฆเล็กน้อย ทัศนวิสัยไม่ดี มีฟ้าหรัว

Early morning, scattered clouds, visibility poor, ?? . I can't find this word หรัว in major dictionaries, and it appears several times, so I assume it's not a typo. One source says it means 'to hug', another suggests that it means the sky darkening as if for rain.

They then go on to wind direction:

ลมทิศ ว. และ วนว. พัด 2-7 น้อต

Wind direction, er West and West-North-West, perhaps? Later on, they write:

ลมทิศ ซ. และ ซซอ. พัด 2-3 น้อต which I guess could be South and South-South-East, 2-3 knots.

I guess the Thai wording of compass directions doesn't lend itself easily to contraction.

Does anyone have better insight into these matters? Thanks.

Thanks. Interesting they should go from ล -> ร when pronunciation would often promote the opposite mistake.

I agree, my 2525 edition has หลัว as ว. มัว, รัว ๆ, ใช้ว่า ลลัว ก็มี >not clear.
and ฟ้าหลัว น. อากาศมัวเนื่องจากในอากาศขณะนั้นมีอนุภาคที่มองไม่เห็น เช่นเกลือจากทะเล ควันไฟ ฝุ่นละออง ประปนอยูเป็นจำนวนมาก
The RID quoted in longdo is the same so I guess the word is not used widely so could be classed as jargon ฟ้าหรัว and might be the modern way of saying it.
เช้าตรู่ >ขณะนั้น I would say is ‘morning twilight in this case

I have to guess เกลือจากทะเล as one of the causes of ฟ้าหลัว could they mean sea mist I wonder. The whole explanation of very salty sea is that the salt does not evaporate so เกลือจากทะเล would not be a อนุภาค affecting visibility would it?
Someone would have pointed this out to the lexicographers if they had reason to research the word.

As to abbreviating ทิศเหนือ ทิศตะวันออก etc. I doubt that it was ever necessary but it could be done. I am surprised that English is not used. NW NNW NWbN .

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

For those who can’t read and are ‘switched off’ by Thai, let me explain.
The definition of ‘unclear air’ (visibility) says that Salt from the sea constitutes particles affecting visibility. Does anyone agree that this is not true?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Archived