Pattaya Versus DaNang and the winner is?

Destiny1990

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

So you get to end the war offshoot on a Vietnam positive note?  Add up the causalities caused by war and the immediate aftermath from 1940 till 1980 and tell me which country has treated it's citizens with more intelligence and compassion?  OK now that we have talked about the real facts you can get back to your topic. 

Let's see, "which country has treated its citizens with more intelligence and compassion?"

Well, let's look at the massive sex trade in Thailand, and how / why most of the women in the sex trade come from a particular province in Thailand, Issan.

Not much compassion shown for those Thai citizens from the North East, despite Thailand being the wealthiest country in the region, except for Singapore.

How about the next time you go to a bar and see a young, scared, girl from Issan, on her first shift in the bar, you tell her how compassionate her wealthy government, and fellow southern citizens are.  

• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You are 100 percent incorrect 

Really? As far as I know as a UK national the only places in which I can live indefinitely without asking permission are the UK and the EU. And the EU part may disappear soon leaving just the UK.

Everywhere else in the world I would just be a guest who could be ejected at any time. But I have no real issues with that as there is no country on earth that I feel desperate to live in. There are always better places.

1 minute ago, KhunHeineken said:

I think you will find it's a Thai subsidiary.  The parent company is Malaysian.

I am not sure if that means CIMB can be used for the 800,000 baht method, or not.

I was under the belief it had to be a Thai bank, as in, Thai owned. 

It's a Thai bank and has been acceptable for my retirement extension deposit for many years. All such companies in Thailand are majority Thai owned.

13 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Besides the money I find the process  time consuming , its invading my privacy by home visits, and its a nonstop repetitive procedure  and than constant checking stamps dates in my passport, and going to banks about deposits 400/800 it will just give me stress. the 24/7 rule, a non cooperating landlord. Just want to pay and stay so its nolonger suitable for a longterm destination for me.

i cant imagine any retiree can do this for several years..

They you are doing something wrong. I see Immigration 20 minutes per year. 

9 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

I think you will find it's a Thai subsidiary.  The parent company is Malaysian.

I am not sure if that means CIMB can be used for the 800,000 baht method, or not. 

I was under the belief it had to be a Thai bank, as in, Thai owned. 

Why would you post wild rumors like that?  Gee.  Check just a bit.  Someone might get upset. 

Just got back from a 2 week stay in Da Nang to escape the heat from Issan. The climate is just perfect this time of year, and it just had a much more relaxed feel than any Thai city. The cost of living is also cheaper i found in Vietnam, and the locals seem more genuine and mature than the Thais. But the city is absolutely swamped with Chinese tourists, the sea is noticably colder than Thailand, and the food was very disappointing compared to Thailand. Especially the street food, just seemed to be Ban Mi's (baguettes) and little else.

29 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Let's see, "which country has treated its citizens with more intelligence and compassion?"

Well, let's look at the massive sex trade in Thailand, and how / why most of the women in the sex trade come from a particular province in Thailand, Issan.

Not much compassion shown for those Thai citizens from the North East, despite Thailand being the wealthiest country in the region, except for Singapore.

How about the next time you go to a bar and see a young, scared, girl from Issan, on her first shift in the bar, you tell her how compassionate her wealthy government, and fellow southern citizens are.  

Where was the largest brothel in Asia?  Thailand?  No no no.  Saigon.  Hall of Mirrors and before the Americans got there.  How many Vietnamese killed in war from 1940 till 1980?  5 million?  Thais?  10,000. 

Take a look at the history of both countries and the employment worldwide of their women before making such ludicrous statements. 

Multiple off topic posts have been removed, topic is not about Latin America or Immigration requirements stay on topic or your posts will be removed. Keep trying to hijack the topic and you will be removed.

22 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Where was the largest brothel in Asia?  Thailand?  No no no.  Saigon.  Hall of Mirrors and before the Americans got there.  How many Vietnamese killed in war from 1940 till 1980?  5 million?  Thais?  10,000. 

Take a look at the history of both countries and the employment worldwide of their women before making such ludicrous statements. 

That's because the Vietnamese fought for their land, where the Thai's just sold it off. Of course the stats of the dead will be higher.

What other country, by itself, can say they caused the retreat of the American war machine in recent times? 

With the world's biggest sex trade, that's really something Thailand can be proud of, especially with such a compassionate government and all.  

You want to talk about employment, how many Thai women, inside Thailand, and aboard, are working in the sex trade?

Seriously, you need to step outside and look in. 

37 minutes ago, TroyC said:

Just got back from a 2 week stay in Da Nang to escape the heat from Issan. The climate is just perfect this time of year, and it just had a much more relaxed feel than any Thai city. The cost of living is also cheaper i found in Vietnam, and the locals seem more genuine and mature than the Thais. But the city is absolutely swamped with Chinese tourists, the sea is noticably colder than Thailand, and the food was very disappointing compared to Thailand. Especially the street food, just seemed to be Ban Mi's (baguettes) and little else.

Nice info.

u stayed hotel near beach?

some bars nightlife?

malls with cinema?

yes food thai food is amazing..

did u go to Hoi ann or other places?

On 5/4/2019 at 7:56 PM, Leaver said:

If the new visa rules here cause me grief, I'm off to Vietnam.  What about utilities like internet, electric and water.  How do they compare for reliability and price?

If you rent a house, you can get the utilities in your name.  They are all cheap.  If you rent a condo or apartment, in many cases the internet and water is included in the price, and if foreigners are living in the block, usually some pay TV with English movie channels and sport is also included, and similar to Thailand, each condo has an electric meter and is read every month and you are billed for what you use. 

Gas is by way of a gas bottle, but there are electric kitchens as well.  Condos just swap them out downstairs, and people in houses usually have a full one on hand, and when one is empty, they replace it with a full one.  This is the same with the big 20 liter containers of drinking water.

Water never goes down.  Internet is reliable and fast.  Mostly fiber optic.  Electric sometimes goes down, but never for long.  Some of the bigger condo blocks have huge generators that do all the condos when the electric is off.   

One funny thing is, if you rent a house, the utility companies don't post or email your bill, they come and see you every month to collect the money.  If you are not home, they just keep coming back until you are home, and you pay the bill. I have no idea how long this happens before you get cut off. 

There are land line phones, but only businesses seem to have them.  Individuals don't seem to have any use for a land line, like most western countries these days. 

53 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

If you rent a house, you can get the utilities in your name.  They are all cheap.  If you rent a condo or apartment, in many cases the internet and water is included in the price, and if foreigners are living in the block, usually some pay TV with English movie channels and sport is also included, and similar to Thailand, each condo has an electric meter and is read every month and you are billed for what you use. 

Gas is by way of a gas bottle, but there are electric kitchens as well.  Condos just swap them out downstairs, and people in houses usually have a full one on hand, and when one is empty, they replace it with a full one.  This is the same with the big 20 liter containers of drinking water.

Water never goes down.  Internet is reliable and fast.  Mostly fiber optic.  Electric sometimes goes down, but never for long.  Some of the bigger condo blocks have huge generators that do all the condos when the electric is off.   

One funny thing is, if you rent a house, the utility companies don't post or email your bill, they come and see you every month to collect the money.  If you are not home, they just keep coming back until you are home, and you pay the bill. I have no idea how long this happens before you get cut off. 

There are land line phones, but only businesses seem to have them.  Individuals don't seem to have any use for a land line, like most western countries these days. 

Am somewhat difficult with drinking water like in Thailand i mostly  drink Nestle water.

Can i buy Nestle water in Vietnam? I googled it but no results. I don’t like distilled or purified waters should be drinking water.

23 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Am somewhat difficult with drinking water like in Thailand i mostly  drink Nestle water.

Can i buy Nestle water in Vietnam? I googled it but no results. I don’t like distilled or purified waters should be drinking water.

I am not quite sure what you mean by distilled or purified water.  A lot of the bottled water uses the reverse osmosis treatment.  That's the same in Vietnam, Thailand, and in many western countries.  

Family Mart is in Vietnam.  I know Family Mart in Thailand sells Nestle water, but only in the small bottles of 600ml and 1.5l.  I haven't seen 20l bottles of Nestle water in Thailand, or Vietnam. 

The 20l bottles of water in Vietnam sit on a stand and the bottle has a tap.  Very easy to fill a jug, pot, kettle, or small bottle. 

They are 15,000VND, which is about 20 baht. 

4 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

I am not quite sure what you mean by distilled or purified water.  A lot of the bottled water uses the reverse osmosis treatment.  That's the same in Vietnam, Thailand, and in many western countries.  

Family Mart is in Vietnam.  I know Family Mart in Thailand sells Nestle water, but only in the small bottles of 600ml and 1.5l.  I haven't seen 20l bottles of Nestle water in Thailand, or Vietnam. 

The 20l bottles of water in Vietnam sit on a stand and the bottle has a tap.  Very easy to fill a jug, pot, kettle, or small bottle. 

They are 15,000VND, which is about 20 baht. 

Yes like in all 7/11 big C etc there u will find these Nestle bottles either 1,5 Liter or also those 6 Liters Jars..

Its not distilled or purified..

But if u say Nestle is available in Vietnam then i sure they sell what i drink.. But i am a fan of Heineken too..????

What I did find annoying about Danang is that most products just come in small sizes . 500ML water and half can beer size .

Also the doors to the 7/11 style shops did open automatically and sometimes I would be standing outside , dancing around trying to hit the sensor to get the door to open 

15 minutes ago, sanemax said:

What I did find annoying about Danang is that most products just come in small sizes . 500ML water and half can beer size .

Also the doors to the 7/11 style shops did open automatically and sometimes I would be standing outside , dancing around trying to hit the sensor to get the door to open 

Yes that was a very horrible experience for you in DaNang.

And in Pattaya all was perfect to your standards? 

1 minute ago, Destiny1990 said:

Yes that was a very horrible experience for you in DaNang.

And in Pattaya all was perfect to your standards? 

No, it wasnt "very horrible" , just mildly annoying , actually just a minor inconvenience 

10 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

I bet that made you nah daeng ????

Yeah funny first i knew nothing about DaNang even my spelling was off.

But then since this thread i gained so much knowledge and so now i even know which one of these 2 cities the winner is. Do you?

1 minute ago, Destiny1990 said:

Yeah funny first i knew nothing about DaNang even my spelling was off.

But then since this thread i gained so much knowledge and so now i even know which one of these 2 cities the winner is. Do you?

Been there twice, last time was 2005. I'm not sure why you're trying to compare such different places - Pattaya is a party town, DaNang is a sleepy town. For a bit more nightlife you could check out Nha Trang or Vung Tao, but you seem to be overlooking what Pattaya is all about for most visitors. 

15 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Been there twice, last time was 2005. I'm not sure why you're trying to compare such different places - Pattaya is a party town, DaNang is a sleepy town. For a bit more nightlife you could check out Nha Trang or Vung Tao, but you seem to be overlooking what Pattaya is all about for most visitors. 

Personally i like Jomtien over Pattaya and many here including myself don’t care so much about cheap style red light night life how many ping pong show bars u need?. More important issues are: nice restaurants, safety, easy visa, tourist friendly, great beaches , affordable, good climate, etc..But Of course before settling  down it makes good sense exploring several cities firstly..

39 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

More important issues are: nice restaurants, safety, easy visa, tourist friendly, great beaches , affordable, good climate, etc..But Of course before settling  down it makes good sense exploring several cities firstly..

Visa isn't easy any more, and I can't say I've ever found the beaches in Thailand much good.

Cornwall (where I came from) had many stunning beaches.

The Philippines also had much nicer beaches than Thailand.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Visa isn't easy any more, and I can't say I've ever found the beaches in Thailand much good.

Cornwall (where I came from) had many stunning beaches.

The Philippines also had much nicer beaches than Thailand.

I only said which criteria matters for me.

And on most these points Pattaya certainly wasn’t the winner in comparison with DaNang.

For clear island quality water on the mainland the Central Vietnam Coast is better because from a map you can see geographicaly the Central Coast extends farther Eastward into S. China Sea. Da-Nang is too far North. Haven't been to Da-Nang or Nha Trang but took the train from Hanoi to Saigon along the coast. Very convenient unlike Thailand mainland. Stopped at Ca-Na beach and for sure very clear water on central mainland Coast. Unlike the unremarkable Thai mainland Coast. So in this regard the Central (Na-Trang) coast area is better than Da-Nang. 

7 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

I only said which criteria matters for me.

And on most these points Pattaya certainly wasn’t the winner in comparison with DaNang.

If someone can no longer live in Thailand, due to being unable, or unwilling, to meet new visa requirements, then anywhere else is a winner, when compared to Thailand.  ????

On 5/9/2019 at 12:29 AM, sanemax said:

You can buy a 600ml small bottles of water, 1.5L big bottles of water, 5L (although another member says they are 6L) extra big bottles of water, and 20L bottles of water for the house.

You can buy beer in the standard size 330ml bottle, or local beer in bigger bottles, I think they are around 600ml. 

Archived