Thailand sees rare but significant drop in tourist arrivals

rooster59

24 minutes ago, DLock said:

TAT press releases would confuse any mathematician. 

None of them make any sense, corroborate the last press release and contradict everyone else numbers.

So, this press release says 0.7% = 3.5million tourists.

0.7% is not even 1%, so it can't = 3.5million or even 35,000, unless the base was 5million planned tourists - I don't know what March was planned, but 5million sounds excessive for March.

I think the problem is that the problem is so much greater that they disclose, and they lies and spin is confusing even them.

It's obvious at Suwanapumi, not nearly as crowded as a few years back. Line through immigration like 5-10min. I arrive 4 times/year, and I've seen the gradual change. 

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My guess is a lot of people like cleaners and builders are going to suffer this low season only yesterday I was talking to a lady who owns a nice coffee shop it is already gone quiet and she's thinking better to close for 3 months.

1 hour ago, RobMuir said:

You sound very unhappy and your post seems to indicate you don’t like thai people and are happy to see them fail.

Which makes me wonder “why are you here”?

I think you may be overestimating the importance of the farang. Thailand was never taken over by the farang like Cambodia, Burma and Laos and look how far ahead of those third world countries Thailand is.

And Chinese tourism is much more beneficial financially to Thailand than a few farangs.

yeah you just have to look to Sihanookville to see how far rampant chinese tourism can take a place :cheesy:

Perhaps they should spend some of their, now, spare time cleaning up their act, particularly in terms of the environment, safety on roads and water sports / boat trips.

Pictures of garbage heaps are now being posted on google earth, does nobody get the message?
And treat tourists with more respect.
And stop overcharging them. Thailand is no longer cheap for tourists.

Sent from my SM-C710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Far ahead solely down to foreign investment and being on the 'correct' side during the American War in Vietnam.

No matter, Vietnam has almost caught up and all the other countries in the region are outstripping Thailand for economic growth.

Thailand is now a busted flush. 

Almost caught up?

nah

https://countryeconomy.com/countries/compare/vietnam/thailand

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

If the tourism arrivals and receipts continue to slide, it could be an added risk to the economy because the sector is one of the main drivers,"

And if it replicates some of the driving here then a crash is highly likely at some point .. 

3 hours ago, madmitch said:

No problem. These figures are from Bloomberg. The TAT will have some positive figures very soon.

And where do you think Bloomberg get them from?  You think they have a guy in the airport counting people?

9 minutes ago, Xaos said:

Ppl avoid dictators ruled dangerous countries i guess. 

In truth, people do not care and in Thailand general population does not really care who is ruling.

Thailand has become expansive, rising prices, in addition to bad exchange rates in addition to being low season.

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Thailand become to be a country that managed to suck the fun and carefree holiday out with more Don'ts and Do's especially when it concerns having fun without looking over your shoulders for a policeman or city official to try extort money from you...

soon Thailand will be just like L.A.☹️

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The fall in tourist arrivals has been fueled by a decline in Chinese tourists for two consecutive months, although arrivals from India had grown substantially, up 35 percent, Bloomberg reported.

Met a family from India today while I was hiking, husband, wife, 3 kids, he's still working every weekday from his laptop.

Says they only hire rooms from AirBnB as they don't go out for meals and he cooks all their food in the room.

Nice family, but good luck making money from them as tourists.

4 hours ago, orchis said:

how can a decline of 0.7% represent 3.5 million people?
if that's the case what's the total of visitors to thailand in 2018?

Confused heads with baht? It ain't accurate that's for sure.

Strong baht.

Stricter visa regulations.

90 days report tm-30.

Fine 2000 for late report.

Online reporting that didnt work for most.

Nonsense tm-30.

Nonsense report within 24 hrs.

Fine foreigners for unit owners lack to report foreigner who moved in.

Nonsense money in local bank requirement.

Denied at entry airport.

Denied retirement renewal.

What other country in south east asia is so strict?

Los kicked out many tourist and long stayers.

We choosed Thailand for easy visa, and fun.

No more easy visa, way too many regulations, add on hate crime, increased living cost, and weekly reports of denied entry or renewal.

In my dream,

Visa regulations as 10 years ago

Devaluate baht, let it float to 40 to the dollar.

And drop all other restrictions directed at longstayers and expats.

Tourist and expats might return.

I'm happy to read less tourist arrivals than previous years. Yes happy.

Can only kick 'dog farang' for so long time. We have alternatives, easier visa, no 90 day tm 30, no 800k, etc etc.

Left Thailand long ago, and not returning until easy visa again, same pre-2010.

4 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

The other stat that comes from the OP was that tourism represents 20% of the economy (or GDP), this is one of the higher numbers I have seen for tourism.

Some estimates have it at more than a third of Thai economic output. When considering illicit money in the sex trade and remittances from dumb blokes sending bar hookers money from abroad and buying bar hookers homes in Isaan, 30%+ is not out of the question. 

4 hours ago, Tofer said:

Perhaps they should spend some of their, now, spare time cleaning up their act, particularly in terms of the environment, safety on roads and water sports / boat trips.

Pictures of garbage heaps are now being posted on google earth, does nobody get the message?

Google don't understand Thailand. 

4 hours ago, orchis said:

how can a decline of 0.7% represent 3.5 million people?
if that's the case what's the total of visitors to thailand in 2018?

3,500,000 / .007 = 500,000,000

You're welcome. ☺

Never seen Pattaya deader than it is now, some bar complexes closed down completely where previously hundreds sat and enjoyed a beer or two. Personally I think it is the attitude of the government, particularly the immigration department, where they seem to have succeeded in making paying tourists feel unwelcome ????

Its not the THB 2000 a big saving compared to what we spend per day in thailand, number of visitors have now got the taste of neighbouring countries like myanmar or cambodge. Beleiving that the fallen manna from heaven will last indefinitely by placing the bar one notch higher each time is not always a good idea. During the hunt of overstayers, those genuine visitors who have faced the experience of military checks of their id’s by 30 commandos in public can tell how traumatic this can be. 

Never seen Pattaya deader than it is now, some bar complexes closed down completely where previously hundreds sat and enjoyed a beer or two. Personally I think it is the attitude of the government, particularly the immigration department, where they seem to have succeeded in making paying tourists feel unwelcome [emoji20]
But new bar complexes getting bigger such as Tree town and Made in Thailand

Archived