Thailand sees rare but significant drop in tourist arrivals

rooster59

I wish they would acknowledge the difference between a coach full of tourists and how they're guided where to go, what to see, where they will stay....

...and free wandering tourists and the difference in impact on local economy compared to a hotel deal.

I say this for completely selfless reasons, and it's nothing to do with how targets must be met so if they sell less then the price goes up for you and me, then we crack the schisms and go home spending nothing ????

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, mikebell said:

Take better care of your long term ex-pats.

Yeah, I rather suspect that an ex-pat spends more than a tourist per annum, even if they are the minority of  foreigners.

1 hour ago, Miami007 said:

This article doesn't make sense

A 0.7% drop in tourists equals 3.5 million visitors in one month??? So Thailand had 50 million tourists in March last year?

Hard to believe..

Its a typo, the original linked article says a drop "to" 3.5 M , not a drop "of" 3.5 M.

I don’t think it will be just tourism those long term expats are also moving on due to the ridiculous rules they keep introducing year in year out along with this you have all the illegals being deported back to there own countries all this has to have an effect on the economy.

23 hours ago, rooster59 said:

"If the tourism arrivals and receipts continue to slide, it could be an added risk to the economy because the sector is one of the main drivers," Bloomberg quoted Duangrat Prajaksilpthai, an economist at TMB Bank Pcl in Bangkok as saying.

Tell that to the sinking boat operators, scammers and taxi drivers.

10 hours ago, Brickbat said:

Marcus Aurelius was a very bright emperor and philosopher.

Your response has no relevance. Where did you get “ that rely on sales?” And yes, all business is the supply of services and or products to make a profit. 

You'd have to read the post I was replying to. 

40 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

I don’t think it will be just tourism those long term expats are also moving on due to the ridiculous rules they keep introducing year in year out along with this you have all the illegals being deported back to there own countries all this has to have an effect on the economy.

The long term expats that were going all left 3 years ago when their currency crashed. The illegals are all here except from a few from countries that are not known for working in the construction industry. 

23 hours ago, Sonhia said:

like I always said in the past, FICKLE.

Som nom na...

They should learn to respect tourists plus expats, after all they  are their bread and butter. Thailand would be a back wood of a place if not for farang...

The other day, I saw a Thai taxi car driver attack a tourist on a main road in Pattaya, the bloody animal. I witnessed the whole event, the Thai was completely in the wrong. 

Cannot loose face or cannot admit fault.

Going off topic a little bit, if any posts such as this one has many "likes" and only one saddo, (at the time of posting) then surely the poster with the saddo has got to look at his opinion and think again.

On 4/27/2019 at 10:27 AM, orchis said:

how can a decline of 0.7% represent 3.5 million people?
if that's the case what's the total of visitors to thailand in 2018?

Small slip up by TV night shift Bloomberg said to 3,500,000 not by 3,500,000. If that were true there would be 500,000,000 visitors a month, in that case they would be doing a pretty job there at swampy.

2 hours ago, Shiver said:

Yeah, I rather suspect that an ex-pat spends more than a tourist per annum, even if they are the minority of  foreigners.

It's quite clear to see that the Thai Government would rather a certain segment of the expat community leave, so they are making it harder to stay.

Those expats that frequent the bars, keep the sales of Leo singlets up, take care of Somying and her 2 kids and contribute to the sick Buffalos are a dying breed. They add very little to Thailand.

The Thai Government wants short term tourists or high net worth ex-pats. 

15 minutes ago, DLock said:

Those expats that frequent the bars, keep the sales of Leo singlets up, take care of Somying and her 2 kids and contribute to the sick Buffalos are a dying breed. They add very little to Thailand.

One could argue an educated population is the most important donation to Thailand.

I sent my 'Somying' to high school, and her daughter to University, with another one progressing through the education system. 

On 4/27/2019 at 10:25 AM, Whyamiandwhatamidoinghere said:

Karma... 

i was told at airport immigration that tourists can only go into thailand for 3 months a year thats a 60 day visa and 1 30 day extension as i arrived back from singapore wanting a free 30 day visa exempt stamp , i want to go to philippines for 2 weeks but worried that when i return to thailand and want another 30 day visa exempt stamp as i have my return flight to uk in june they wont allow me in and i could be stranded at the airport , NO WONDER TOURISTS ARE NOT COMING BACK TO THAILAND !! <deleted> !!

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

with another one progressing through the education system. 

From what I have witnessed with the 'education" system here is that it more resembles an "indoctrination system" for sure my exposure is limited but from what I have seen there is far too much time spent on "Thainess" - gotta be careful here :wink:

4 minutes ago, CGW said:

From what I have witnessed with the 'education" system here is that it more resembles an "indoctrination system" for sure my exposure is limited but from what I have seen there is far too much time spent on "Thainess" - gotta be careful here :wink:

Do you think this applies to the 500,000 Thais in college too?  Medical school or Physics? 

17 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Not everything, when they say they are hungry they mean it. Which is just about every 15mins.

never seen a race eating so many times a day as Thais do... wonder how many meals a day they have

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

One could argue an educated population is the most important donation to Thailand.

I sent my 'Somying' to high school, and her daughter to University, with another one progressing through the education system. 

That's great.

I doubt you are a Leo vest, barstool warming, Buffalo saving ex-pat I was referring to.

You fit into the later category of ex-pats that Thailand prefer.

...and you proved my point why.

Well done

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

Do you think this applies to the 500,000 Thais in college too?  Medical school or Physics? 

As I said "from what I have witnessed" cannot have a definite opinion on "medical school or Physics" though I was under the impression that all medical schools were run by "Big Pharma" to further their drug sales, am I wrong ????

2 hours ago, jwbrit said:

Dear News team, Please correct your article. Bloomberg says tourism fell by 0.7% TO 3.5million.

Thank you!

The nations/thavisa's quality on their attempt at news reporting have always been very poor and it will not change.  Click baiting headlines and errors that not even a high-school newspaper would manage to come up with.

22 hours ago, sambum said:

"TAT press releases would confuse any mathematician."

I think that the problem with your post is that the figures you are quoting are from BLOOMBERG!

TAT wouldn't be saying that tourist figures had gone DOWN - would they?

P.S. From the OP:-

"According to official data compiled by Bloomberg, the number of foreign tourists visiting Thailand fell by 3.5 million in March, a decline of 0.7 percent from one year ago."

As pointed out already, I think the word "by" was meant to be "to". Another case of "Communication Breakdown"! 

Bloomberg wrote "to 3.5 million"

It's The Nation copy-paste monkey squad that can't even copy paste 

Archived