Thailand sees rare but significant drop in tourist arrivals

rooster59

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read recently the 17 billionaire Thai families added between 2 billion to 7 billion to their family wealth last year. 

As for tourist and export declines, that Baht is way too strong. But, it might be a boon for those thai billionaires. 

"and 19 other nations and regions can enter Thailand free of charge, rather than paying the 2,000 baht fee for a visa when they arrive at the airport."....

This is GREAT. I can now save a whopping $62 on a visa. My flight there will cost $1,400. My accommodations $50 per night. Add on meals, etc. Well, saving $62 on a visa is meaningless Thai govt. Try spending money on cleaning the air and getting rid of the piles of trash and the associated rats that dine there every night and then you'll enjoy more tourists.   

10 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

True. Only a few years ago, word (e.g. on Wikipedia, several webboards) was, that tourism accounted for 7 percent of the economy...

Agree, But I saw 10 %  a while back or so it was said . (at least we are on the same Page.

lol)

13 minutes ago, Brickbat said:

I read recently the 17 billionaire Thai families added between 2 billion to 7 billion to their family wealth last year. 

As for tourist and export declines, that Baht is way too strong. But, it might be a boon for those thai billionaires. 

That rely on sales?  What Thai billionaire does not rely on a product being exported or sold? 

23 minutes ago, FNQ said:
11 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

True. Only a few years ago, word (e.g. on Wikipedia, several webboards) was, that tourism accounted for 7 percent of the economy...

Agree, But I saw 10 %  a while back or so it was said . (at least we are on the same Page.

lol)

You can come up with all kinds of numbers, depending on whether it's just direct tourist spending on travel, food and lodging, or you add the knock-on effect of buying goodies to take back home (Chinese do a lot of that), buying condos 'cause you like it here, supporting an extended family 'cause you forgot to wear a condom, and on and on.

Hell, lots of "tourists" send money every month even though they haven't been to Thailand in years.

4 hours ago, aspenbkk said:

What about Farangs i Was recently in pattaya for 1 month bkk for 2 weeks and both empty and the beach area deserted, thais asking everyone to sit down as no one there   ?  white tourists no mention about them as usual ? only chinese and indian who spend nothing in restaurants bars laundries taxis to keep them open and people in work. this place is going down the sinkhole more and more No Wonder Vietnam a lot Better and Cheaper too and Less Crime and Rapes.

Bangkok is not and has never been empty. It's booming. In fact, it's really only Sunday now where you can get around town in a car. Driving on Saturday used to be nice but it's gridlocked now - significantly different from say - 18 months ago. Part of this is to do with all the new roads and train lines they are throwing up - another sign of how well the economy is doing.

The area I have lived (Saphan Sung) for the past 7 years is growing around us. 7 years ago - there was nothing here. Now there's 2 new international schools, a gym 4km from my place with a Starbucks and restaurants going up all over the place. One place just round the corner from our house is massive (SRP Garden) and they must have invested millions of dollars in it. New supermarkets going up to. 

None of this growth is because of Tourism. It's the local economy growing. That's why the THB is rising - Thailand is becoming a richer country. Business is booming. The demand for THB is high because of business and tourism.

So Bangkok - it's doing just fine - and I can't vouch for Nana Plaza, Cowboy and Patpong - but I see no lack of people in places like Siam, Sukhumvit, Phrom Pong.

Pattaya is in decline partly because it's a dump. The only reason it's still hanging on is because it's the easiest beach to get to from Bangkok, look at the number of Bangkok plated cars driving around. It's "Bangkok upon sea". Hua Hin is nicer but the drive back to Bangkok on Sunday PM is gnarly.  Also - sex tourism now represents a small fraction of visitors.  The old school of sexpats are slowly dying out/running out of money. So looking at the decline in beer bars as a barometer of Tourism overall is misleading.

1 hour ago, Whyamiandwhatamidoinghere said:

Yup! And the unattractive worry of reporting your whereabouts will cause many visitors to skip it for immigration friendly destinations. I pity any family visiting Thailand. 

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

99% of tourists have absolutely no knowledge, experience, or hardship with that.  At all.  They simply come here, visa free, have a great holiday, go home.

Pity any family visiting Thailand, really, how ridiculous.

The thing is that in our interconnect world most people do their own research and ask around before traveling. So The stricter the rules will be, the more unfavorable picture will emerge. And even if not currently effecting the traveler, It will definitely reduce the likelihood of choosing Thailand as the next holiday destination..

4 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

Bangkok is not and has never been empty. It's booming. In fact, it's really only Sunday now where you can get around town in a car. Driving on Saturday used to be nice but it's gridlocked now - significantly different from say - 18 months ago. Part of this is to do with all the new roads and train lines they are throwing up - another sign of how well the economy is doing.

The area I have lived (Saphan Sung) for the past 7 years is growing around us. 7 years ago - there was nothing here. Now there's 2 new international schools, a gym 4km from my place with a Starbucks and restaurants going up all over the place. One place just round the corner from our house is massive (SRP Garden) and they must have invested millions of dollars in it. New supermarkets going up to. 

None of this growth is because of Tourism. It's the local economy growing. That's why the THB is rising - Thailand is becoming a richer country. Business is booming. The demand for THB is high because of business and tourism.

So Bangkok - it's doing just fine - and I can't vouch for Nana Plaza, Cowboy and Patpong - but I see no lack of people in places like Siam, Sukhumvit, Phrom Pong.

Pattaya is in decline partly because it's a dump. The only reason it's still hanging on is because it's the easiest beach to get to from Bangkok, look at the number of Bangkok plated cars driving around. It's "Bangkok upon sea". Hua Hin is nicer but the drive back to Bangkok on Sunday PM is gnarly.  Also - sex tourism now represents a small fraction of visitors.  The old school of sexpats are slowly dying out/running out of money. So looking at the decline in beer bars as a barometer of Tourism overall is misleading.

"The old school of sexpats are slowly dying out/running out of money.".....

VERY good point and one I hadn't considered before. 

3 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

Inequality of wealth distribution was always a landmark here.

Bangkok will thrive and the rest can just wither and die.

6 hours ago, alzack said:

The Chinese will ruin Thailand, Crazy, rude and loud people. And so many will come, and spend very little and it will be "PEOPLE POLLUTION" in a big way Thailand has had its time, and past its shelf life now

No doubts. They will turn Thailand into another San Francisco. Bangkok is already like that. Most of the hotels are owned by the Chinese. Their stuff are all Thai Chinese.  My county was pretty nice and quiet. Now we are having a big influx of Chinese.  I have no idea who would like to live next to a Chinese family, not matter how much money they have. Just imagine being married to one of those "lovely" Chinese girls...

12 hours ago, orchis said:

how can a decline of 0.7% represent 3.5 million people?
if that's the case what's the total of visitors to thailand in 2018?

Badly written. Likely was a decline of 0.7% to 3.5 million (about 20,000).

34 minutes ago, LongTang said:

Inequality of wealth distribution was always a landmark here.

Bangkok will thrive and the rest can just wither and die.

Then you cannot be getting out much.

I spent some time in Sakorn Nakhorn over Songkran - not been there for a few years - but it's booming. 

Lot's of investment up there - malls popping up. Not so much in the town centre but out by Robinsons on Nittayo Road just out of town.

There is a growing middle class all over Thailand. 

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

That rely on sales?  What Thai billionaire does not rely on a product being exported or sold? 

Marcus Aurelius was a very bright emperor and philosopher.

Your response has no relevance. Where did you get “ that rely on sales?” And yes, all business is the supply of services and or products to make a profit. 

2 hours ago, Benroon said:

Absolute garbage - it amazes me that all the info is out there to stop ludicrous statements like this (and Vietnam’s GDP is catching Thailands) etc etc amongst others and yet they’re still on here!

I don't know  to who's reply your referring to but if it was the Baht., Supply and demand dictates the value .

18 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The fall in tourist arrivals has been fueled by a decline in Chinese tourists for two consecutive months, although arrivals from India had grown substantially, up 35 percent, Bloomberg reported.

LOL. Indians ain't gonna boost spending much. They even haggle Pattaya baht bus drivers for the fare ( 10 baht ) and other activities significant to Pattaya they want to get cheap too.

18 hours ago, rooster59 said:

In a country where tourism accounts for a fifth of the economy, these figures are significant.

Strange. I remember the figure some years ago at about 6% of GDP. Even if I'm wrong about the figure, it was no where near a 5th.

Frankly, given what a state of disrepair and garbage everywhere the country is in, I probably wouldn't have been a repeat visitor for all those years. It's also become far too expensive, even not allowing for the exchange rate.

10 hours ago, Percy P said:

I don't go to Aseancountries that need a visa taking up a full page in my PPort..I only have 25 pages which should last me 10 years .No chance

Actually 2 pages...one for the visa and another for the immigration stamp....it's irritating...

10 hours ago, Percy P said:

I don't go to Aseancountries that need a visa taking up a full page in my PPort..I only have 25 pages which should last me 10 years .No chance

I also hate them polluting my passport.

Thailand is the absolute worst.

The Thai immigration officials don't even try to stamp the pages in consecutive order. 

19 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

And the Baht?

Still clinging on to 32. I'm no economist but when I arrived in Thailand 2014 that baht was 35 or so, for a US dollar... And the economy and PR situation was much better than now. The baht should be at about 36. So what the hell is going on? 

10 hours ago, Whyamiandwhatamidoinghere said:

Yup! And the unattractive worry of reporting your whereabouts will cause many visitors to skip it for immigration friendly destinations. I pity any family visiting Thailand. 

How can they resist a World Class International Family Resort like Pattaya? Ladyboys, pick pockets, beach erosion, girly bars, baht busses, it has something for every family!

19 hours ago, Sonhia said:

like I always said in the past, FICKLE.

Som nom na...

They should learn to respect tourists plus expats, after all they  are their bread and butter. Thailand would be a back wood of a place if not for farang...

The other day, I saw a Thai taxi car driver attack a tourist on a main road in Pattaya, the bloody animal. I witnessed the whole event, the Thai was completely in the wrong. 

Cannot loose face or cannot admit fault.

Pattaya taxi drivers, (two and four wheel species), are just trying to make a living, regardless of whom they cheat.

5 hours ago, Percy P said:

The Baht will automatically decline due to the decline in Tourist as the Baht will not be required.

The value of the baht will depend more on overall economic conditions (and maybe interest rates). Tourism is maybe 20 percent of the economy.. 

Archived