Thailand sees rare but significant drop in tourist arrivals

rooster59

3 hours ago, Arami747 said:

Did communist Chinese betrayed Thais after farangs are gone for good..?? 

They first give you a big hug and make you feel safe and taken care of, But when you decline to get involved in one of their costly project They leave you to the abyss.. I guess Thais will learn it the hard way.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, lkv said:

I miss operation X ray foreigner, we did not have that for a while now (it's been like a few weeks already).

Also, more pocket searching and urine testing in the streets for everybody, we must "get the bad guys out".

Had the pocket search on songkran last time... They are prolly still on holiday after making bank. 

Don't worry they'll be back soon. 

6 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Had the pocket search on songkran last time... They are prolly still on holiday after making bank. 

Don't worry they'll be back soon. 

Maybe the Chinese got tired as well of this rubbish, because the RTP minions do not discriminate between euro and yuan.

Australians, British, Americans, Canadians, Germans etc frequent the bars.  Thousands of Thai's are employed in the bar scene. It's just as nice sitting in a bar in Siem Reap or Da Nang etc as in Pattaya and a sight cheaper.  And if you get ripped off for the bill, it's still affordable.  In Pattaya the ripoffs are in the thousands of baht.  For so many reasons, the Thai government is slowly killing the goose that lays the golden egg.

13 minutes ago, Bugsy777 said:

Australians, British, Americans, Canadians, Germans etc frequent the bars.  Thousands of Thai's are employed in the bar scene. It's just as nice sitting in a bar in Siem Reap or Da Nang etc as in Pattaya and a sight cheaper.  And if you get ripped off for the bill, it's still affordable.  In Pattaya the ripoffs are in the thousands of baht.  For so many reasons, the Thai government is slowly killing the goose that lays the golden egg.

As a young man visiting to Thailand, one of the main draws was the extreme value, especially alcohol. Over a decade of rampant inflation combined with the destruction of the Pound Sterling, mean that it's cheaper for me to drink in a Wetherspoons in London than on Sukhumvit road, which seems crazy. You can still get pints of draft beer in Siem Reap for under $1. Next time in Bangkok I will hardly even bother going to any bars.

5 minutes ago, SteveK said:

As a young man visiting to Thailand, one of the main draws was the extreme value, especially alcohol. Over a decade of rampant inflation combined with the destruction of the Pound Sterling, mean that it's cheaper for me to drink in a Wetherspoons in London than on Sukhumvit road, which seems crazy. You can still get pints of draft beer in Siem Reap for under $1. Next time in Bangkok I will hardly even bother going to any bars.

for beer ............

I was paying 50c in Siam Reap, 75c in Phnom Penh (Angkor draught 330ml), and 22bht in Siagon (Saigon Green 450ml).

Thailand seems to have this conceit that it's just a wonderful place to vacation without really understanding what drives (or drove) its attraction. For me what historically drove the allure was the charm and feyness of the people. Even if you argue that many examples of this can still be found, what is less deniable is that climate change, environmental degradation, over-development and urbanization have taken a heavy toll on Thailand's attractiveness as a tourist destination. It doesn't seem that they have quite yet grasped that shifting from a mass tourism model to a more sustainable quality tourism model will require developing quality experiences to attract those tourists willing to pay more. Just raising prices and trying to target lucrative markets without first getting their house in order isn't going to work.

differing data from the Thai source earlier this week. 

Who’s data and report should we accept. 

What they do to save face, f f s ! 

One thing is for sure this place shoots itself itself in the foot every ‘f  in day ! 

... and never ask a indigenous one to apply logic.

9 hours ago, Whyamiandwhatamidoinghere said:

Karma... 

The more gunho spur of the moment rule changes that the Thai government keep making the least tourist you will have coming to visit or stay in Thailand along with the overpriced baht,it creates tourist wanting to visit countries with better value for dollar,

... for understanding. 

Check out the data of the increase in tourists (and Expats) to Vietnam and Cambodia. 

This place is killing itself, and yet they still scratch their heads and say why.

Muppets and Serious Muppet mentality !  

18 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Sam Smiths probably even cheaper than both Suk and 'Spoons, but Fullers about the same.

But Suk and Silom were never really cheap (excluding specials) even at the depths of the currency crisis and definitely not before it. Less than a quid a pint in Cambo certainly is interesting though, pity I don't drink that much anymore.

22 minutes ago, mindfulness said:

... for understanding. 

Check out the data of the increase in tourists (and Expats) to Vietnam and Cambodia. 

This place is killing itself, and yet they still scratch their heads and say why.

Muppets and Serious Muppet mentality !  

Just come back from Hoi An near Danang, Vietnam. The place is chockers with Thai, Korean, Japanese, Chinese and western tourists and everyone seems happy.

Just now, soalbundy said:

-0.7%, definitely doom and gloom for Thailand, 555555, it's a blib on the screen. You should know by now teflon Thailand can do no wrong, it doesn't matter what happens they keep flooding back.

Gosh, you're sooo clever.

Btw, the word is 'blip'.

Chok dee na?

:smile:

27 minutes ago, Hoppyone said:

The more gunho spur of the moment rule changes that the Thai government keep making the least tourist you will have coming to visit or stay in Thailand along with the overpriced baht,it creates tourist wanting to visit countries with better value for dollar,

Yup! And the unattractive worry of reporting your whereabouts will cause many visitors to skip it for immigration friendly destinations. I pity any family visiting Thailand. 

1 minute ago, Whyamiandwhatamidoinghere said:

Yup! And the unattractive worry of reporting your whereabouts will cause many visitors to skip it for immigration friendly destinations. I pity any family visiting Thailand. 

Why would a visitor report their whereabouts? 

5 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

-0.7%, definitely doom and gloom for Thailand, 555555, it's a blib on the screen. You should know by now teflon Thailand can do no wrong, it doesn't matter what happens they keep flooding back.

I think they done gone and shot themselves in their durian on betting the farm on the Chinese. 

41 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Thailand seems to have this conceit that it's just a wonderful place to vacation without really understanding what drives (or drove) its attraction. For me what historically drove the allure was the charm and feyness of the people. Even if you argue that many examples of this can still be found, what is less deniable is that climate change, environmental degradation, over-development and urbanization have taken a heavy toll on Thailand's attractiveness as a tourist destination. It doesn't seem that they have quite yet grasped that shifting from a mass tourism model to a more sustainable quality tourism model will require developing quality experiences to attract those tourists willing to pay more. Just raising prices and trying to target lucrative markets without first getting their house in order isn't going to work.

How many tourists came to Thailand the year you came?  How many came last year?

What's not working? 

2 minutes ago, Whyamiandwhatamidoinghere said:

99% of tourists have absolutely no knowledge, experience, or hardship with that.  At all.  They simply come here, visa free, have a great holiday, go home.

Pity any family visiting Thailand, really, how ridiculous.

18 minutes ago, Whyamiandwhatamidoinghere said:

I think they done gone and shot themselves in their durian on betting the farm on the Chinese. 

Not only the Chinese. They have doubled up and put their money on the Indians as well. 

10 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

And if that doesn't work, they'll start to pay people to get their asses here.

You mean like they did with crazy Finance Ministry scheme - abandoned earlier today -  to give 1,500 baht handouts to Thais who chose to holiday in LOS.

One begins to wonder if Government policy is formulated on the hoof, jotted down on bits of paper by ministers on their way to work.

Archived