SURVEY: Should Seasteaders face prosecution?

Scott

SURVEY: Should seasteaders face prosecution?  

127 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There have been a number of threads about the recent seasteaders. Do you believe they should face prosecution?   Which choice best describes your opinion.  

Please feel free to leave a comment.

For reference here is one of the threads:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1096688-couple-accused-of-violating-thailand’s-sovereignty-‘in-hiding’/

I pick option 4/ As they considered themselves outside Thailand and in international waters, they should be prosecuted for each time they entered/exited Thailand and if didn't check in and then check out of Thailand. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, helloagain said:

Google sealand off of the essex coast in uk. Internatioal waters. Their own stamps and currency etc. They are their own country. Legal. 

More like tolerated as  harmless  squatters on a structure originally  put there by the UK.

And I'd like to know  where a passport issued from there would  get entry to.And  what after Brexit? I guess they will  have to rely on dual nationality even if only 6 miles  out.

I would like to know  what the reaction would  be if  China  or the Russians  stumped up with  the asking price  for a near  80 years old  rusting hull ! lmao

If they stay far enough outside any country's interests – including commercial/financial 200 NM zones, and shared divisions, i.e. like 400+ NM out – and not interfere any traffic ways, and are adequate marked, including digital markings, why not...????

Edit: But not including any rights for undergorund resources or the like...????

Edited by khunPer

4 hours ago, Kerryd said:

They should face prosecution as they were operating (or trying to) a commercial venture in an area that is, beyond the shadow of a doubt, within Thailand's Economic zone.

To the extent that they are only being targeted for locating their own home past the 12-mile limit, I'm not sure how you can call that a "commercial venture."  But, to the extent they were selling or maybe even trying to sell others these floating/anchored "homes" within the economic zone, maybe.

But, with respect to their own home only, this presents a unique question of law.  By international law, Thailand owns absolutely nothing past the 12-mile area with the exception of the ability to regulate certain commercial activity within their so-called "economic zone."  To the extent that Thailand can adequately prove there was a violation of their economic zone interests under international law, then that's what legally they could charge (and that's hardly a hanging offense, sedition, treason, or whatever).  They also could charge illegal entry into Thailand presuming the couple motor-boated in and out of the 12-mile zone without going through immigration. 

Not that I'm suggesting Thailand will follow any particular rule-of-law scenario as, given the comments made by gov't officials, they're clearly not.  The couple, if they have any ability and/or brains, should do whatever it takes to surreptitiously exit the country and never come back....or they are going to languish in a Thai prison for a substantial length of time.  By the way, I do think this guy is a bit wacky and crazy as hell for trying to pull this off (let alone attempting to live in that structure on any of the world's oceans subject to storms, cyclones, tsunamis, etc...dumb, dumb, dumb). 

• Like 2