Bar Noise

Beggar

8 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

wow that's impressive, every 3db means half intensity so that's volume halved 5 times, although the 10db rule works and it means in real terms the noise has been halved twice - nice. Every 3db's is noise energy doubled or halved.

In is not that easy. It depends on the frequency too. High and middle frequencies are easy to block. But very deep frequencies with their long sound wave and high energy are very hard to block at least with glass. It helps a lot to take different glass strengths to filter different frequencies and to have a space of at least 13 mm between these panes. And the more space you have the better. If I remember correctly after about 12 cm it does not make any difference anymore. 

48 minutes ago, Happystance said:

You should rent it out to a tile cutter and give the neighbors a taste of their own medicine.

That only works if they are smart enough to connect the dots. Most likely would just figure it's more noise.

As others have said, it's the bass frequencies that are intruding on you, not the noise.

Glass won't do it, it vibrates like anything else vibrates. The air spaces will negate anything that the glass achieves. Think how a speaker actually works. It makes the air pulse.

Try thick (1/4") nitrile rubber baffle curtains as used to reduce reverb in concert halls. Not pretty but they kill vibration dead.

3 minutes ago, Traubert said:

As others have said, it's the bass frequencies that are intruding on you, not the noise.

Glass won't do it, it vibrates like anything else vibrates. The air spaces will negate anything that the glass achieves. Think how a speaker actually works. It makes the air pulse.

Try thick (1/4") nitrile rubber baffle curtains as used to reduce reverb in concert halls. Not pretty but they kill vibration dead.

I was more thinking on bricks. I could close the windows and put there an outside camera and inside a screen where I can see what I saw before through the window ????

8 hours ago, oldrunner said:

We bought our home in Pattaya just off Thra Paya when there was nothing around us except trees and a block away, a hotel. Since, we have a quiet Church, condos, nice neighbors, and a condo owned by lovely ladies. We also have one of our children's homes in Ayutthaya and one under construction (second son). We have a comfortable apartment attached to #1 Son's large home and visit there. One bar across Thra Paya sometimes gets really noisy but not often. I'm married to a Thai lady, have been for 47 years and if anyone gets too bothersome....well there are ways to handle that.

oh please, do go on...

• Haha 2

On 4/28/2019 at 10:11 AM, AlexCanada said:

Tread carefully.  You've likely lived here long enough to know people have been killed complaining about noisy neighbors.

One reason I will never buy a place in Pattaya.  If I ever get a noisy neighbor/bar near me I can always move.

good advice but always depends on where you buy. location, location, location 3 most important things when buying property.

10 minutes ago, Tomahawk21 said:

good advice but always depends on where you buy. location, location, location 3 most important things when buying property.

One never knows.

Any of those empty lots near you could soon be 2 years of horrific construction noise.

Or, you never really know what restaurant or bar or just an open space is going to start a live band or loud music.

It happened to me a few years ago. Thanks so much that I was renting and soon left.

1 minute ago, bkk6060 said:

One never knows.

Any of those empty lots near you could soon be 2 years of horrific construction noise.

Or, you never really know what restaurant or bar or just an open space is going to start a live band or loud music.

It happened to me a few years ago. Thanks so much that I was renting and soon left.

that is why i bought a house in a quality village. no noise or dramas.

14 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

One never knows.

This. 

Happy to start grinding at 8am and continue till 8pm, some of them...day in day out weekends too...

The level of noise pollution accepted here is, in itself, a force to contend with.

Edited by Happystance
because I can! ????

On 4/27/2019 at 10:11 PM, AlexCanada said:

Tread carefully.  You've likely lived here long enough to know people have been killed complaining about noisy neighbors.

One reason I will never buy a place in Pattaya.  If I ever get a noisy neighbor/bar near me I can always move.

Never buy a place in THAILAND, period.  I built on a nice remote area in Mae Rim and they built an "adventure park" zip line right next door.  We built on 4 rai, but that was not nearly enough.  No zoning, anyone can build anything they want anywhere.  You can't win.

• Like 1

Pattaya is the wild west, anything goes , anyone can open a bar with zero paperwork without a liqueur licence until they are caught and then they move to the next empty shop and set up a bar again. If you buy in Pattaya you got to EXPECT noise

Im on lower sukhumvit BKK and there are no less Than 5 bars in my condo complex, a 2  story sports bar, The old German beer house and 3 beer bars with BG'S and they all play music at NORMAL levels low enough to have a normal conversion ..can hear a pin drop in my bedroom

Dont Buy in Pattaya. The rent there is stupid cheap and if a karaoke pops up overnight you can get the hell out

• Like 2

1 hour ago, madmen said:

Pattaya is the wild west, anything goes , anyone can open a bar with zero paperwork without a liqueur licence until they are caught and then they move to the next empty shop and set up a bar again. 

Often they don't move. They just change the ownership on paper.

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

You are quite correct.  This is the only thing I really don't like about living here.... the noise.  My new home is much better than my old one, but still there is noise going on often (and I am over sensitive to any noise now from the traumatic experience at my last place).

The worst for me is base music banging away.  Some weeks there seems to be a party, wedding, funeral, festival or other such thing going on every night in our village, with laser lights in the sky, banging music etc, even the early morning loud speaker music and village news gets annoying.  

Most Thai people will never complain to their neighbours about anything... the loss of face thing. 

I think you live in my neck of the woods ???? Same here, when it comes from another village it's bearable but when it's in our own village we Flee !

We calculated that in 1 year, we have to leave our house and sleep in a Hotel, in total around 25 days because of the excessive noise.

30 minutes ago, MJCM said:

I think you live in my neck of the woods ???? Same here, when it comes from another village it's bearable but when it's in our own village we Flee !

We calculated that in 1 year, we have to leave our house and sleep in a Hotel, in total around 25 days because of the excessive noise.

I find is weird how it is actually quieter in the city than out in the countryside... lol.  I often go into the city for some quite relaxation time.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, madmen said:

they all play music at NORMAL levels low enough to have a normal conversion ..can hear a pin drop in my bedroom

Will your condo control a new bar owner in your building if they play music as loud as a concert or put in a DJ that screams at the top of his lungs every night?

Edited by AlexCanada

6 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

I find is weird how it is actually quieter in the city than out in the countryside... lol.  I often go into the city for some quite relaxation time.  

Where do you think the hotels we stay at are ????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlexCanada said:

Will your condo control a new bar owner in your building if they play music as loud as a concert or put in a DJ that screams at the top of his lungs every night?

Yes we have a very strong juristic . Thats why the current bars especially the 3 beer bars play music at farang level of acceptance however they are part of a condo building so they have to comply. We dont get new bars opening in the area and karaokes , the rent is is to expensive now its sky rocketed the last 5 years

Pattaya rents are cheap so you get plenty of pop up bars and dj"s

15 minutes ago, madmen said:

Yes we have a very strong juristic .

That's excellent.  Certainly not the case in any of the Pattaya condos I've lived in all of which were new with juristic offices poorly run and going through growing pains.

May need to PM you which building you reside in if I decide to move to Bangkok.  

Edited by AlexCanada

7 minutes ago, AlexCanada said:

That's excellent.  Certainly not the case in any of the Pattaya condos I've lived in all of which were new with juristic offices poorly run and going through growing pains.

May need to PM you which building you reside in if I decide to move to Bangkok.  

No probs  but it wasnt always this way. It took a dozen of us years of bullying Juristic but they are great now and possibly a bit to strict lol

12 hours ago, AlexCanada said:

Even if you buy a place in a seemingly quiet area there doesn't appear to be any enforced laws that stop your neighbor to do whatever they feel like.  You can't predict your neighbors.  Maybe a rock band will move in beside you and play loud screeching music until 3 am every night.  It could be 4 quiet people with very loud Harley Davidsons that seem to come and go all day and all night.

not if you buy in a village where the prices start at 10 million baht up. you eliminate all the crap, there are no rock bands where i live, you could hear a pin drop.????

Edited by Tomahawk21

8 hours ago, Scutty said:

One of MANY reasons I would NEVER EVER buy any property in Thailand .

its the same any where in the world if you got money you can choose to live in a good location , if ur on the bones of ur ass u have to deal with the crap.

On 4/29/2019 at 1:44 PM, Beggar said:

Earplugs a great idea

don't agree, they block out sounds that will want to hear like alarms

Bass is the problem - it travels and resonates with buildings, very difficult to deal with

Someone already asked - what general location in pattaya are you having this problem ? 

I know after many resident complaints on 3rd road a certain new nightclub had to spend a lot of money modifying and sound proofing their very leaky building or face closure 

11 hours ago, Tomahawk21 said:

not if you buy in a village where the prices start at 10 million baht up. you eliminate all the crap, there are no rock bands where i live, you could hear a pin drop.????

A company can come in and create an adventure park.  Or anything they want.  Come see me in Mae Rim, when I'm there.  Only a few weeks, however.  The rest of my time I'm living in peace and quiet in the American south.

Edited by bubba45

22 hours ago, madmen said:

Pattaya is the wild west, anything goes , anyone can open a bar with zero paperwork without a liqueur licence until they are caught and then they move to the next empty shop and set up a bar again. If you buy in Pattaya you got to EXPECT noise

Im on lower sukhumvit BKK and there are no less Than 5 bars in my condo complex, a 2  story sports bar, The old German beer house and 3 beer bars with BG'S and they all play music at NORMAL levels low enough to have a normal conversion ..can hear a pin drop in my bedroom

Dont Buy in Pattaya. The rent there is stupid cheap and if a karaoke pops up overnight you can get the hell out

Not only Pattaya.  There's no zoning in the entire country.  I live near some homes worth easily B25 million, but there are still some old time villagers left as well.  One set up a karaoke bar, just a machine and benches.  Popular place.  Police will do nothing.  Fortunately I was far enough away from this disaster, but I did get the zip line.  Fortunately, again, they close at night.  But noise all day long.  YOU CAN'T WIN.  Don't buy.  

• Like 1