Eleven more Future Forward ‘MPs’ face disqualification

webfact

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

Please don't stop posting. That's what they want! So they can try and deflect to a discussion about the activist and slur his reputation as they have no other answer.

You can generally get an idea of how accurate or otherwise any allegation labelled at a politician is by the posts claiming that what was said was incorrect or correct, with evidence given one way or another.  In this case, however, all we have seen are accusations that the alleger (allegator?) is a junta mouthpiece, a royalist, a Prayuth apologist... and none whatsoever addressing what he actually said.  Let these politicians defend themselves.  Let the same scrutiny be applied to all others, on all sides.  Ban the candidate and hold elections in any seat where the allegations are true.  With any luck, the junta party will lose some it originally won, but even if we end up with the same result, at least the law would finally have been seen to be followed.  Being a cynic, that's as much as I'm going to say on that.  

Obviously this has a strong political motivation but it does seem like Thanathorn and probably the others left themselves vulnerable over their share ownerships.  You can argue that you made a written agreement to transfer shares on a certain date and money was paid the same day but for some reason the company only notified the DBD two or three months later.  If it were a public company, however, the company would only pay dividends and allow other rights to the person who is registered as the shareholder on the day in question. I would think that a court would similarly determine the effective date of a share transfer was the date that the shareholder's name was entered on the public record at the DBD.  In this case that is the only hard and fast evidence available anyway because the transfers are all between related parties who can easily back date agreements and claim that no payment was involved.   

I seem to remember that the current foreign minister used a similar argument of a delay in inform the registrar about the transfer of his shares which makes him ineligible to be a minister.  He is hanging on to his job, pending a Constitutional Court ruling which is unlikely to take place before the next government is formed.  It is interesting that there is no petition from the same people for him to step down.  This seems to be a pretty common failing of politicians.  I am sure a lot MPs who have won seats could be debarred on the same grounds, if there was a detailed investigation into all of them.  I guess it is up to the other side to do this. 

45 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

I am sure a lot MPs who have won seats could be debarred on the same grounds, if there was a detailed investigation into all of them.  I guess it is up to the other side to do this. 

PPRP fielded 500 candidates and won 97 seats and a possibly 22 party lists. Most of the candidates are from the business sector and it will not be hard to fathom that should the investigation is fair, some of them will be in the same situation as the 11 FFP candidates. I am sure some may have registered their business activities in number of areas including media so they don't have the hassle of doing the registration again. I can understand that as I do the same by broadening my intended business activities that may or may not happened. PPRP targeted 150 seats so I guess that they are sore winning only 119 seats and will go out of the way to secure the rest of their target.

2 minutes ago, allanpatty said:

As has been said before, the junta and its leader have learned from how neighbour Hun Sen deals with opposition !

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

... and Burma, and Malaysia, and Singapore...

47 minutes ago, allanpatty said:

As has been said before, the junta and its leader have learned from how neighbour Hun Sen deals with opposition !

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

It’s the other way round. Parties were banned in perculiar circumstances long before Hun Sen got the idea in latest election. 

• 2 weeks later...

So starting from the premise that all Thai politics is corrupt, this was a forgone conclusion.

I think what the military and their puppet masters have learned from their past 'interventions' is that the best way is to hobble any election at the root, rather than let it metastasize leading to yet another coup.

So this is just part of that process to ensure weak government and the continuation of the status quo.

There are some parallels with Singapore.

There they always ensure that if any opposition leader looks threatening, they basically bankrupt him in civil court, thereby neutralizing him

But that's part of the bargain the PAP make with the Singaporeans.

Keep us in power and we make your life better.

In Thailand that last part of the bargain is missing, hence coup after coup after coup 

Archived