Trump directs officials to toughen asylum rules

webfact

Trump directs officials to toughen asylum rules

By Yeganeh Torbati and Mica Rosenberg

2019-04-30T023454Z_1_LYNXNPEF3T03A_RTROPTP_3_USA-TRUMP.JPG

U.S. President Donald Trump delivers remarks at a Make America Great Again rally at the Resch Center Complex in Green Bay, Wisconsin, U.S. April 27, 2019. REUTERS/Yuri Gripas

WASHINGTON/NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump directed officials to toughen rules for asylum seekers on Monday, including by introducing a fee for their applications and barring those who entered the country illegally from working until their claims are approved.

The moves are the latest effort by the Trump administration to stem a growing number of migrants crossing the U.S. southern border, many of whom then seek asylum in the United States. Many of the changes would be dramatic shifts in how asylum seekers are treated, but would also require time-intensive regulatory procedures before they go into effect, which will likely take months.

Trump administration officials have repeatedly blamed U.S. laws protecting asylum seekers for encouraging fraudulent or non-deserving claims.

But immigrant advocates say the Trump administration's efforts to restrict asylum protections harms people legitimately seeking refuge from violence and persecution.

On Monday, Trump signed a presidential memorandum that directed the Justice Department and Department of Homeland Security to, within 90 days, introduce a slew of new regulations tightening asylum policy, including one setting a fee for asylum applications, which are currently free to file.

Even a small fee could be insurmountable for many asylum seekers, said Victoria Neilson, a former official at U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, the government agency that accepts asylum applications.

"The majority of people coming to the United States seeking asylum are coming with little more than the shirts on their back," she said.

Another regulation Trump ordered his officials to prepare would ensure asylum claims are adjudicated in immigration court within six months.

U.S. law already directs the Justice Department to finish asylum cases within six months, but with a backlog of more than 800,000 cases, asylum claims often take years to come to a conclusion.

"The provision to process cases in 180 days has been on the books for over two decades," said Ashley Tabaddor, president of the immigration judges' union. "The problem is that we have never been given adequate resources to adjudicate those claims in a timely fashion."

Asylum cases are often complex and involve trauma, and judges should have discretion to provide more time depending on the case, Tabaddor said.

Trump also ordered officials to introduce regulations that would disqualify asylum seekers who entered the country illegally from obtaining work permits while their claims are pending. Currently, asylum seekers who enter both legally and illegally are allowed to work while their claims wind through the courts.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials encountered some 100,000 people at the U.S.-Mexico border in March, the highest level in more than a decade, and one which officials say is pushing resources to the breaking point. 

Under U.S. law, asylum seekers that have a credible fear of return can seek review in immigration courts. The large majority of asylum seekers eventually lose their cases but can live in and work in the United States for the months or years it takes to process their claims. 

Monday's memorandum is just Trump's latest attempt to curb asylum protections. Other policy moves have been challenged in federal court.

(Reporting by Yeganeh Torbati and Mica Rosenberg, additional reporting by Kristina Cooke; Editing by Bill Rigby and Lisa Shumaker)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-04-30

2 minutes ago, webfact said:

"The provision to process cases in 180 days has been on the books for over two decades," said Ashley Tabaddor, president of the immigration judges' union. "The problem is that we have never been given adequate resources to adjudicate those claims in a timely fashion."

Hire someone like me. I'll work for half pay and guarantee to process their cases as fast as I can sign the orders.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Take a good honest look at your own life, the way you live, your financial situation, how close you are with family and friends, your prospects for the future. 

Now ask yourself, do you really think pulling the ladder up on asylum seekers will improve your life?

Would that be genuine actual bona fide asylum seekers or the millions of illegal economic migrants hoping to beat the visa system you refer to?

• Like 2

A part of me agrees in principle with the idea of assessing some level of a “filing fee”-like charge for an application for asylum claim... only because for the vast majority of other immigration-related, petitioner-initiated actions, there is a fee for such.

However, I also cede that in many cases the ability to pay for such an application - for many - may be simply impossible...

But in the larger sense, I do think the government has a legitimate claim to be able to charge a fee at some level which reasonably offsets their cost to provide said service request.

I do note that the filing of most US immigration-related applications are done so on a voluntary basis and are not required due to government regulation. While there can be subsequent filings that may be required by governmental regulation, in most cases, the original application/filing which may have then triggered subsequent/later paperwork filings, is almost always done voluntarily.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

18 hours ago, Tug said:

So let me see....Donald wants to starve thease family’s now?how are they supposed to stay alive?a lot of thease people are farm workers let them work is Donald trying to force them to become criminals?this is starting to feel very very much like Germany in the thirty’s Donald is one nasty piece of work

Personally I think comparing to Nazi Germany in the '30s is OTT. However, it is a fact trump is trying to put further blocks in place for genuine asylum seekers. Already in his term he has reduced the refugee intake from 100k to 30k p.a., plus the extra measures in the OP for asylum seekers. I mean how low can you go to charge asylum seekers a fee for application assessment. What is he trying to achieve? for UNHCR to declare the USA an an unsafe country for asylum seekers due to lack of legal protection / processes. One assumes the the latest round of trump cruelties will be subject to Court adjudication, but trump's stacking of the Courts is yet another demonstration to work around legal constraints. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Personally I think comparing to Nazi Germany in the '30s is OTT. However, it is a fact trump is trying to put further blocks in place for genuine asylum seekers. Already in his term he has reduced the refugee intake from 100k to 30k p.a., plus the extra measures in the OP for asylum seekers. I mean how low can you go to charge asylum seekers a fee for application assessment. What is he trying to achieve? for UNHCR to declare the USA an an unsafe country for asylum seekers due to lack of legal protection / processes. One assumes the the latest round of trump cruelties will be subject to Court adjudication, but trump's stacking of the Courts is yet another demonstration to work around legal constraints. 

My comment of Germany in the thirty’s is perhaps a bit over the top but not by much the language and misinformation do show similarity’s 

The OP photograph rather says it all. Mr Trump is preaching to his "fanbase", a collection who are not in the slightest bit concerned with the rights and wrongs of asylum claims, or the very real threats and fears to many of those unfortunates who are seeking asylum. They are putting it bluntly, opposed to Hispanic brown people coming to live in the USA.

In one respect perhaps Mr Trump is right. The drug cartels and their warlords and gangs who have made life in the Central American countries, and produce these asylum seekers exist to control and facilitate the flow of drugs into the USA. The most effective way of stopping that flow is to remove the market which it feeds, either by effectively preventing the consumption of drugs (probably a lost cause given how thoroughly drugs use seems to have penetrated all levels of society) or by decriminalizing and regulating their use, and thus removing the need for illegal importation.

Either way, "clamping down on asylum seekers" is not the solution, even if a popular move in some circles.

And yes, direct comparisons with Nazi Germany are overblown, however, the demonization, blame-casting, on certain ethnic groups, does stand comparison and raise parallels.

Edited by JAG
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, JAG said:

And yes, direct comparisons with Nazi Germany are overblown, however, the demonization, blame-casting, on certain ethnic groups, does stand comparison and raise parallels.

Thats OTT and cheapens the real thing

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Thats OTT and cheapens the real thing

Really? I said such comparisons were overblown, didn't I - but I warned that, in my opinion, if the "demonization, blame-casting, on certain ethnic groups", continues then it will begin to stand comparison and raise parallels.

In other words, there is no comparison at present, but if this sort of talk and policies continue they may arise.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, JAG said:

In other words, there is no comparison at present, but if this sort of talk and policies continue they may arise.

Somehow I dont see US troops sardinunpackung unarmed hispanic women and children and shooting them in the backs, do you? Does anyone realistically?

• Like 1

Just now, Nyezhov said:

Somehow I dont see US troops sardinunpackung unarmed hispanic women and children and shooting them in the backs, do you? Does anyone realistically?

Good thing US soldiers have never ever killed civilians without provocation.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tug said:

My comment of Germany in the thirty’s is perhaps a bit over the top but not by much the language and misinformation do show similarity’s 

True

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

You need to revisit the history of the part played by the US Army in the genocide of North America’s native tribes.

• Thanks 2

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 3:17 PM, webfact said:

"The majority of people coming to the United States seeking asylum are coming with little more than the shirts on their back," she said.

Puzzling that, given they have had to pay the traffickers, and bribe officials along the way, as well as buying food.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Puzzling that, given they have had to pay the traffickers, and bribe officials along the way, as well as buying food.

ergo "little more than the shirts on their back",

• Like 1