Northern Thailand sizzling: Hot enough to cook eggs!

webfact

Northern Thailand sizzling: Hot enough to cook eggs!

9pm.jpg

Caption: Hot enough to cook eggs! Nut product trader really did it!

Chiang Mai News reported on a trader in Lamphun who said it was hot enough to cook eggs in a pan out in the open air heat of the afternoon sun. 

As the mercury crashed through 40 C on Monday Duangkamon Sui-luang set up her wok on a chair in Ban Hong district. 

She added a bit of oil and in next to no time the pan was hot enough to fry two eggs. 

They didn't froth up as in normal frying but were perfect to eat. 

Duangkamon is a trader in nut sheets and nut paste, a traditional food of the Lanna people. 

Source: Chiang Mai News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-04-30

think different.

just stop thinking of the low 40's or high 30's as "hot".  it's a way to "adapt".

as long as we have enough water to shower several times a day, and for me today some ice, cold milk and Bailey's Irish Crème as my drink du jour.  but low 40's?  hey man! when we talk about "2 degrees C" as a global average temperature goal, for "climate change", that is meant as a metric.  not as 2 degrees warmer as in the weather.  it's a metric for things such as changes in persistency so that when it is hot it stays hot longer and... get's way hotter... or colder.... than in the past.

so.  it's not hot.  not yet.  but we should be ready for a Big Surprise!!!!! maybe.

Edited by WeekendRaider

3 minutes ago, thhMan said:

I hope the locals who are working outside, the old people and those that find it hard to deal with the heat, understand that they should "adapt"

Yep, one of my Thai friends is ill after getting heat stroke when working on a building site in this heat.  Even the locals are finding it too hot... and us farangs are not adapted for such temperatures.  

To be honest, I usually don't mind the heat, but this year its getting to me more for some reason... probably because its coupled with the air pollution.  

3 hours ago, WeekendRaider said:

think different.

just stop thinking of the low 40's or high 30's as "hot".  it's a way to "adapt".

as long as we have enough water to shower several times a day, and for me today some ice, cold milk and Bailey's Irish Crème as my drink du jour.  but low 40's?  hey man! when we talk about "2 degrees C" as a global average temperature goal, for "climate change", that is meant as a metric.  not as 2 degrees warmer as in the weather.  it's a metric for things such as changes in persistency so that when it is hot it stays hot longer and... get's way hotter... or colder.... than in the past.

so.  it's not hot.  not yet.  but we should be ready for a Big Surprise!!!!! maybe.

There is school of thought, however, that a small ice age is coming, because, they say, it's high time and the average temperature isn't rising any more.

By the way, where did all the "thermometers" from 50 years ago, ehhhhh.....go?

Those on places far away from human habitation, towns?

39 minutes ago, thhMan said:

I hope the locals who are working outside, the old people and those that find it hard to deal with the heat, understand that they should "adapt"

Yes, the FIL only works in the early morning and still has trouble with the heat during the day. The wife and I were digging holes to plant malagor and she called an early stop too because of the heat (only 35C up here in the mountains). Even though I worked full days out of Darwin in this sort of heat, I did not stop her from downing tools (must be getting old).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Northern Thailand sizzling

Seasonal heat and billowing smoke from countless fires throughout Thailand makes for a really special environment. I'm so glad that Prayuth has requested a stop to the constant burning. Any day now the air should clear and breathing will be a healthy activity again. However, the toxic mix does make for wonderful sunsets! 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, hansnl said:

There is school of thought, however, that a small ice age is coming, because, they say, it's high time and the average temperature isn't rising any more.

Do not know where you got the idea that the average temperature isn't rising anymore. The last 5 years have been the 5 hottest years on record (with 2016 being number one). The record year of 1998 (which deniers always used as proof the world was cooling over the following 10 years) is now only ranked the 10th hottest year on record. All the other 9 have been in the 21st Century.

Where did all the thermometers go? replaced by electronics.

2 minutes ago, rickudon said:

Do not know where you got the idea that the average temperature isn't rising anymore. The last 5 years have been the 5 hottest years on record (with 2016 being number one). The record year of 1998 (which deniers always used as proof the world was cooling over the following 10 years) is now only ranked the 10th hottest year on record. All the other 9 have been in the 21st Century.

Where did all the thermometers go? replaced by electronics.

Global temperatures have dropped since 2016

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2018/04/26/global-temperatures-have-cooled-since-2016-heres-why-thats-normal/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.a3c38369eb38

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Of course they have... since, for the time being, 2016 holds the record for the warmest year... 

Yet, as you well know, short term comparisons are meaningless... why not see the evolution of the average temperatures over the last 50 to 100 years? 

Much more telling... 

16 hours ago, WeekendRaider said:

think different.

As a "metric"? 

"persistency"? 

The planet, as a whole, is getting warmer, plain and simple. 

And 2 degrees C is a fantasy, 4 to 6 will probably be closer to reality when humans will be done with their party...

Yet, the difference with the Bailey's is that when it comes to climate, we party and our children get to deal with the hangover... 

12 hours ago, hansnl said:

A school of thought, or a school of hope? 

And there is nothing "small" when it comes to climate, unless you speak in geological time, and not in human time... a "small" ice age would mean a few thousand years, not a few years... 

18 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Of course they have... since, for the time being, 2016 holds the record for the warmest year... 

Yet, as you well know, short term comparisons are meaningless... why not see the evolution of the average temperatures over the last 50 to 100 years? 

Much more telling... 

2015-2016 was Super El nino, 2016 being the tailing end of it.   Supposed to be warm for Thailand and many other neighbouring countries.

It was the warmest in my country as well.

Legit link/info : 

https://www.gov.sg/news/content/2016-marks-the-warmest-year-on-record-for-singapore

Well look on the bright side, the good thing is that you folks in most of N Thailand can still use evaporative coolers in the afternoons and cool off at a relatively low cost compared to AC ????.  ie "dry heat". 

Evap cooler units cost many times lower than AC, and so does the operating cost (electricity) and maintenance costs like servicing/washing of the AC.  It gets pretty expensive if you are someone who wants to air condition the whole house as the feeling of being cooped up in a small room is not nice. This matters a lot for the lower income group.

Basically the ambient temperature is say for eg 42-43 deg C, the heat index is also 42-43 deg C. 

There are other areas in which the temperature is just 34-36 deg C, but the heat index is 42-47 deg C.  Eg in some areas in Philippines/Malaysia. Have seen spikes as high as 55 deg C in Philippines.

https://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/221761/pagasa-warning-heat-index-may-rise-to-40-degrees

The hottest day was recorded on May 2010, topping at 37 degrees Celsius with a heat index of 55 degrees Celsius.

Also after you perspire, your skin remains "sticky" and the clothings damp and they smell very easily.  Very uncomfortable.

Edited by vivid

15 hours ago, thhMan said:

Start early and work until midday.. siesta afternoon, start again in the evening.. adapt working hours.

18 hours ago, WeekendRaider said:

think different.

A bit like the scene from It aint half hot mum where RSM Shutup had the guys outside daring the sun to do it's worst.

Defy the sun lads

Defy the sun.

unnamed (1).gif

Edited by overherebc

14 hours ago, hansnl said:

Yes I read about this, according to some serious Russian scientists we should be at the beginning of a new ice age which happens when the earth's orbit around the sun does its periodical change from near circular to elliptical and the sunspot activity nears zero. The industrial smog high up in the atmosphere is delaying this, keeping the warmth on the earth but at the same time having the detrimental effect of letting less of the sun's rays getting through to plants. The pay off is that increased heat in the atmosphere will cause melting of the ice letting in massive amounts of fresh water into the sea and so decreasing salinity which will stop the Golf stream after that it will be a runaway situation as heavy snowfall all year round in Europe and America will reflect whatever heat from the sun reaches us back out to space. It's a catch 22 situation, whatever we do we are in deep doo doo. This interglacial period that we find ourselves comfortably in has been the longest in human history.

2 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Much more telling... 

In the history of the earth 100 years is also meaningless - same as 2 years and of no value statistically. 

14 hours ago, arithai12 said:

"us farangs" are not all from the same place.

Even in Europe there are places where 40C and above are experienced quite commonly. Where I grew up summer temperatures were sometimes hotter than here, we had no A/C and rationed water. I would say some of us farangs are better adapted than Thais. At least I don't drive my scooter in the afternoon sun wearing a winter jacket and gloves for fear of getting a tan.

Where you come from it was over 40 for weeks on end, with dangerous levels of air pollution and no wind or breeze or rain for 6 months?  You are a fair skinned farang, or do you have darker skin like people from the hotter areas of Europe?  

I think you misunderstand about why Thai people wear jackets and gloves when riding their motor bikes in the sun.  They are to keep cool more than to stop getting a tan.   It's actually hotter to just wear a T shirt and shorts.  When we go out on the big bikes we always wear jeans and a jacket.... they provide insulation from the burning sun (especially when we have to stop and wait at red lights).  

3 hours ago, vivid said:

Well look on the bright side, the good thing is that you folks in most of N Thailand can still use evaporative coolers in the afternoons and cool off at a relatively low cost compared to AC ????.  ie "dry heat". 

Evap cooler units cost many times lower than AC, and so does the operating cost (electricity) and maintenance costs like servicing/washing of the AC.  It gets pretty expensive if you are someone who wants to air condition the whole house as the feeling of being cooped up in a small room is not nice. This matters a lot for the lower income group.

Basically the ambient temperature is say for eg 42-43 deg C, the heat index is also 42-43 deg C. 

There are other areas in which the temperature is just 34-36 deg C, but the heat index is 42-47 deg C.  Eg in some areas in Philippines/Malaysia. Have seen spikes as high as 55 deg C in Philippines.

https://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/221761/pagasa-warning-heat-index-may-rise-to-40-degrees

The hottest day was recorded on May 2010, topping at 37 degrees Celsius with a heat index of 55 degrees Celsius.

Also after you perspire, your skin remains "sticky" and the clothings damp and they smell very easily.  Very uncomfortable.

Indeed the heat index has much more meaning than the temperature alone. 

Here in Eastern Isaan, we have temperatures around 37-39 (in the shade... of which there is little), but combined with very high humidity, it feels as if we were in the mid-40s. 

So we perpspire a lot, and this helps developing skin infections, especially in places like between the legs, which have little opportunity to dry. 

I have a whole set of medicinal creams just to deal with this pesky issue... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

In the history of the earth 100 years is also meaningless - same as 2 years and of no value statistically. 

The history of the last 100 years has a lot of meaning in the sense that it shows variations which don't occur naturally in such a short timespan. 

Left alone, nature will never show a 1 degree average temperature increase in 100 years, which is a fraction of a second in geological time, the one that matters when dealing with issues such as climate. 

Having said that, if you are still in doubt about the existence of climate change, you might want to consult studies made by the big fossil fuel corporations, since even they have admitted the reality of manmade climate change. 

2 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Indeed the heat index has much more meaning than the temperature alone. 

Here in Eastern Isaan, we have temperatures around 37-39 (in the shade... of which there is little), but combined with very high humidity, it feels as if we were in the mid-40s. 

So we perpspire a lot, and this helps developing skin infections, especially in places like between the legs, which have little opportunity to dry. 

I have a whole set of medicinal creams just to deal with this pesky issue... 

Yes....I just know that i pretty much prefer "dry heat" rather than "wet heat".   Though you'd definitely know both are hot.