How many countries are not issuing income letters anymore

9 minutes ago, Icedoctor said:

By the way the immigration officer here in Chon Buri told me that if I give up my retirement visa now I could NEVER NEVER apply for a retirement visa again !

wonder how many danes forced to leave Thailnd ?

did you notice the earlier post.... your embassy is doing the letters again, you are good, as I understand it...

glegolo

• Like 1

15 hours ago, glegolo said:

did you notice the earlier post.... your embassy is doing the letters again, you are good, as I understand it...

glegolo

That was my understanding.  The OP just needs to go get another letter and no problem.

Edited by marcusarelus

CMNightRider, My country is still issuing the letter.

Those come from the countries who are not issuing have my have my support. 

It is one hell of a situation to be in.

I can only hope that an answer can be found to help. 

Goodluck.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

If that was the case why only 3 out of 80 embassies?  Seems a bit odd. 

Some Embassies do actually verify the claimed income. And presumably some don't worry about it. It is inconsistent.

The USA and Oz simply required an affidavit or stat dec. 

Edited by jacko45k

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Some Embassies do actually verify the claimed income. And presumably some don't worry about it. It is inconsistent.

The USA and Oz simply required an affidavit or stat dec. 

No mention of the Brits?  Seems odd to me that only 3 out of 80.  I don't think Thai Immigration asked for anything new based on the actions of all the the embassies taken as a group. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

I would like to know the real story behind some of the embassies not issuing income letters anymore.  There are a lot of retirees in Thailand that are in the same situation as "icedoctor."  It is too bad these few embassy officials decided to abandon their citizens.  

21 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

It would appear to be an Embassy decision that likely was prompted by immigration asking them to truly verify the 'income' their letters were attesting to.

The Embassies decided this was beyond their capabilities and withdrew the service. 

Jacko45k is spot on.  But there are also some political and monetary policy reasons for it.  

41 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

As to the few smug posters who are amused by their fellow westerners being forced to leave Thailand, please leave you lame comments to yourself. ????    

The Western expat is still valuable, but just not as novel as 20, 10, even 5 years ago.  The majority of the basic infrastructure has been built.  China is chipping in with high speed rails and a huge middle class that needs somewhere to vacation.

Every country has a right to protect their own interests.  If you really look at the overall situation, did they really change the law or just how they change how they enforced existing policies?  I don't think that is being smug; it is being honest about the immigration policy.  How many retirees were playing the loophole hoping it would never be closed??

With that said, @Sheryl made a good point in another thread that the 40k/65k in the embassy letter could be Gross income (pre-taxed et al).  But if thai immigration want to see those monthly 40/65k receipts as a net deposit with monthly method, then that can significantly affect some expat's ability to qualify, especially taking into account exchange rates + taxes.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The Western expat is still valuable, but just not as novel as 20, 10, even 5 years ago.  The majority of the basic infrastructure has been built.  China is chipping in with high speed rails and a huge middle class that needs somewhere to vacation.

Every country has a right to protect their own interests.  If you really look at the overall situation, did they really change the law or just how they change how they enforced existing policies?  I don't think that is being smug; it is being honest about the immigration policy.  How many retirees were playing the loophole hoping it would never be closed??

With that said, [mention=14639]Sheryl[/mention] made a good point in another thread that the 40k/65k in the embassy letter could be Gross income (pre-taxed et al).  But if thai immigration want to see those monthly 40/65k receipts as a net deposit with monthly method, then that can significantly affect some expat's ability to qualify, especially taking into account exchange rates + taxes.

Since the minimum was always in baht exchange rates don't enter into it but taxes and health insurance deductions do. Americans for example often have medicare premium of about 5000 baht deducted at the source.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CMNightRider said:

I would like to know the real story behind some of the embassies not issuing income letters anymore.  There are a lot of retirees in Thailand that are in the same situation as "icedoctor."  It is too bad these few embassy officials decided to abandon their citizens.  

These retirees have good monthly incomes but their funds are in real estate, stock market, or they have no interest in participating in immigrations Thai banking scheme.  I wish you well icedoctor, and the many others who are being forced out of Thailand.

As to the few smug posters who are amused by their fellow westerners being forced to leave Thailand, please leave you lame comments to yourself. ????    

Normally things like that in the USA are solved or solvable by simply offering contract services.  Some company forms an agreement with the US embassy, agrees to some range of criteria to investigate and certify as appropriate the income is real and proper.  Of course the service charges to expat.  But no pressure has been put on the US embassy or US State Department to do anything about the situation

Edited by gk10002000
add

2 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

These retirees have good monthly incomes but their funds are in real estate, stock market, or they have no interest in participating in immigrations Thai banking scheme.  I wish you well icedoctor, and the many others who are being forced out of Thailand.

From what I have read from the US embassy and read more on a whole variety of sites and from a wide variety of posters, the "story" is really quite simple--of course, one could argue that our home countries' embassies could be more helpful, but they simply have indicated that they will not take on the responsibility of verifying that the incomes indicated on an income affidavit are accurate.  

Thai immigration knew for a very long time that many of the income affidavits submitted were not truthful, and finally said those countries issuing them must verify the amounts listed--the US embassy and some others declined, so they stopped issuing affidavits altogether.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Since the minimum was always in baht exchange rates don't enter into it but taxes and health insurance deductions do. Americans for example often have medicare premium of about 5000 baht deducted at the source.

Hmmm.   The exchange rate would only count once a year (at the time of obtaining the affidavit).  But now if immigration want to see net 40/65k each month in a Thai bank account, any significant change in rates could bring one or more months below the minimum.   Doesn't one month below the minimum invalidate all the months before it?  (meaning the applicant must start over from the next good month forward)?

What would be nice is if they used an AVERAGE of the last 12 months (or whatever 12 months are used to prove monthly income method); a mean average would give the extension applicant more flexibility.  Especially those with investments and such that may only be able to pull funds a few times per year. 

Whether Thai logic would allow a mean average to be used....I wouldn't hold my breath.

Yes, while it is a valid observation that the Immigration Offices do vary in their interpretation of the regulations, it is also a valid observation that much can be lost in translation. And this is true on both the part of the foreigner and the Thai Immigration officer.

Why do you think it is a valid observation that a foreigner is partly at fault because of translation when these same rules have been officially interpreted and translated by Thai Immigration themselves .

Edited by khastan

3 minutes ago, khastan said:

Yes, while it is a valid observation that the Immigration Offices do vary in their interpretation of the regulations, it is also a valid observation that much can be lost in translation. And this is true on both the part of the foreigner and the Thai Immigration officer.

Why do you think it is a valid observation that a foreigner is partly at fault because of translation when these same rules have been officially interpreted by Thai Immigration themselves .

The problem is that the "rules" are interpreted differently by almost every immigration office. No consistency, maybe the new head will actually resolve the problems but highly unlikely.

CMNightRider, My country is still issuing the letter.

Those come from the countries who are not issuing have my have my support. 

It is one hell of a situation to be in.

I can only hope that an answer can be found to help. 

Goodluck.

Your support and 5 dollah will get a latte at Starbucks.

Just being silly.

It seems hopeless at this point.

I am very angry about it. All I want is to get a letter for my US social security pension. I don't believe my own government embassy cannot verify that. I can prove it in 2 minutes max.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

The big difference between those countries and other countries like germany is the pension system. 

Pretty much every german has a state pension and/or riesterrente and they have access to that system from their embassy. 

They can't verify your other income either that is in private vehicles. 

Us/uk/australia is mostly privately managed pension which they simply lack access too. 

US has IRA, 401k, profit sharing plans, cash balance plans, pension equity plans.. Where you select your investments yourself and i doubt they have access to all that stuff in the embassy. 

• Like 1