Why do you want a pick up truck?

My annoying sister will never be caught dead riding in a pickup truck.    This is an extra bonus for me.

I'm 6' 6", and find I have more headroom and legroom in most pickups.    I'll retire in thailand in a few months, and will try some car types before buying, but I won't do the recline the drivers seat and do some yoga poses to get behind the wheel procedure to drive one.   I do expect to take some longer trips in thailand when I live there.     I have driven through a lot of thailand in rental cars,  Fortuner, Innova, Vigo 2 door extended cab, (whatever they call it).   Those were comfortable for me.

I want something that will carry 4 farang adults, or me, and a half dozen thais.

FWIW the first PU in the US I bought new was a '90 F150.     Single cab, 5 speed, 6 cylinder, not stripped but pretty basic.   $10000.    I drove it 10 years no problems.     I still see it running around the town I live in, but I've had two more new pickups since then.  

I dont' need a tiny city carsince that is what motorbikes are for, or possibly a samlor where I'll  live.

The good thing is my current GF is unlikely to ever want to drive a car, so I can get a manual transmission, and what I want.    She's not hung up on something that will impress anyone,  just that it is 'new'.

????

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sirineou said:

In another thread I was reading concerning the choice of SUVs in Thailand, an other poster suggested the CRV AWD that he bought for 1.4 mil bht ($47,000 USD) I just helped my sister in the US negotiate and buy a 2019 LX4d 2.4L AWD CRV for $25,000!!!

The same vehicle in Thailand is almost twice as much!!

Can this be a reason why so many people drive PickUp Trucks in Thailand????

An other Poster in this thread called people in Thailand who drive pickup trucks "Morons".

I suggest the ones who pay twice as much for an SUV are the Morons. 

My wife wants an SUV , I guess because of the status,I love my wife and I might bite the bullet and be one of those "Morons" but don't think I will like it .or be proud about it.

2003 sportrider,fantastic vehicle.

18 minutes ago, jvs said:

2003 sportrider,fantastic vehicle.

It certainly is!!  However If I would have a hard time driving it after my wife kills me for buying it. LOL

I don't 'want' a truck ..... I 'need' one.  A Ranger Raptor to be precise.  I need the long travel suspension, off road tyres, twin turbo and 10 speed auto for my trips to 7-11.  The Supercub just isn't cutting it.

I'm struggling a bit with my justification to the Wife, but I'm sure she'd really like a big black one too.

20190419_074535.jpg.a74f9cd926279bbb023153f73d51d257.jpg

I live about 1 hour outside of Khon Kaen, we have a truck and a Civic.  I use the old truck mostly to pick up feed, rice and irrigation parts i need.  I drive it to the farm and back home.  Haul pigs with it.  The Civic is my wife's baby, she uses it to move the kids, grocery shop etc etc.  My pick up is 20 years old, and it runs, if i hit the dash right the AC will come on.  5 speed.  I guess i have just gotten used to it.  I am country at heart, so not much difference to what i was driving in the USA.  The wife got the new truck and i took the one i have had for 25 years and drove it. 

A 3.0 engine, hell yes i could use that.  Perhaps one of these days i will be able to justify spending the money, but right now, i want to keep banking money. 

I love my Ranger man.

It's completely unpractical in Pattaya where we live but I feel very safe in it and I don't want to pay +1.5 mill for a Thai made SUV.
Been many times in Bangkok in it, the hotel staff sometimes stare at the farang coming in a pick-up truck and perhaps thinking; crazy farang, 555.
Thankfully I now have an age where I don't give a rat's arse what people think.
This vehicle is very suitable for Thailand, my ex Honda City once had the bottom engine plastic cover torn off when I hit a pot hole and I had to buy a new one. The Ranger don't care about potholes or flooded streets within reason and people in smaller cars gives me space.
My wife drives it also and she likes it too.
She wants a Mini Cooper so I told her to buy some lottery tickets and pray for Buddha because that's the only way she gonna get one.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 5/1/2019 at 10:45 PM, 55Jay said:

Wife is a fashionista chick, most of her life in BKK, but prefers SUVs and pick up trucks.  She, and I, like the larger size/mass and that they sit up higher/better visibility.  City or village/countryside is irrelevant to that preference. 

I've always been partial to trucks/SUVs anyway.  Jeep CJs, Ford Bronco, Explorer, Toyo Landcruisers in the Gulf/middle east.  On holidays in the US, we both like to kick the tires on the large pick ups there - Ford F150s, fully loaded Chevy Silverados, etc. 

Ford Super Duty F-350 4X4 for me!  It pulls the 5th wheel really well.  Oversize electric mirrors and plenty of luxury items inside.  Runs on diesel.  It would be fun to drive this bad boy in rural Issarn but without the 5th wheel

On 5/4/2019 at 8:19 PM, NokNokJoke said:

My annoying sister will never be caught dead riding in a pickup truck.    This is an extra bonus for me.

I'm 6' 6", and find I have more headroom and legroom in most pickups.    I'll retire in thailand in a few months, and will try some car types before buying, but I won't do the recline the drivers seat and do some yoga poses to get behind the wheel procedure to drive one.   I do expect to take some longer trips in thailand when I live there.     I have driven through a lot of thailand in rental cars,  Fortuner, Innova, Vigo 2 door extended cab, (whatever they call it).   Those were comfortable for me.

I want something that will carry 4 farang adults, or me, and a half dozen thais.

FWIW the first PU in the US I bought new was a '90 F150.     Single cab, 5 speed, 6 cylinder, not stripped but pretty basic.   $10000.    I drove it 10 years no problems.     I still see it running around the town I live in, but I've had two more new pickups since then.  

I dont' need a tiny city carsince that is what motorbikes are for, or possibly a samlor where I'll  live.

The good thing is my current GF is unlikely to ever want to drive a car, so I can get a manual transmission, and what I want.    She's not hung up on something that will impress anyone,  just that it is 'new'.

????

Not an attractive vehicle on the outside, but my mate's former Isuzu MU-7 was really spacious all around on the inside, including vertical head space, compared to my Toyota Sport Cruiser pick up and the Fortuner SUV.

image.png.b010ca17eb06c56456a535c1082a58db.png 

MU-7 discontinued a few years ago though, replaced by a downsized "MU-X". 

18 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Not an attractive vehicle on the outside, but my mate's former Isuzu MU-7 was really spacious all around on the inside, including vertical head space, compared to my Toyota Sport Cruiser pick up and the Fortuner SUV.

Yes it does look like a Ford Transit ice cream vendor's ride...????

4 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Have to agree with you about size it was big inside. But used to handle like a pig at speed. As it had leaf springs on the rear like the pick up. Thank Buddha they have change it now to the new MUX. Not as much room but better all round.

41 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Have to agree with you about size it was big inside. But used to handle like a pig at speed. As it had leaf springs on the rear like the pick up. Thank Buddha they have change it now to the new MUX. Not as much room but better all round.

No argument from me there. 

I really like the exterior look and stance of the MUX, even more than the old or the new Fortuner.  Not so much inside the new MUX, but TBH, I'm uninspired by most of the trucks and SUVs I've driven or ridden in here. 

We were upgraded from a RAV4 into a full-size Dodge Durango SUV a few years ago for a month's holiday in Florida - leather, moon roof, heated seats, all the bells and whistles even for a rental.   Had that firm "thud" when you closed the doors, a pleasure to drive, smooth, albeit not a fair comparison as the roads there weren't like the surface of the moon.   The wife was diggin' it, couldn't keep her out of the thing.

When we returned, and got the Tuna boat on the road first time, wife and I looked over at each other and grinned in unison, thinking the very same thing.   Felt cramped and cheap, whistling wind, road, engine noise, as if it was made of recycled Leo beer cans.  The in-dash Navigator suddenly looked like something out of the 1980s.  ????

Don't mind the shape or size of an SUV, but have no use for 4WD.

I have been renting an innova for the last few visits, mostly for the room, and some hauling around of the GF's family.   Got upgraded to a Fortuna once, didn't like it.  Prefer the Innova.  

If buying new, trying to keep under 900,000 B.

Thought I'd check out the various low end 4 door/auto pickups from the Japanese manufacturers, as well as cars like the Sienta, Avanza, Ertiga, etc.     I just don't see any sedans I'm interested in, and find most of the modern small 4 door sedans annoying to get into at my height and stage of increasingly limited flexibility.

Various relatives are threatening to show up in Thailand for visits, and all of my brothers are over  6' 4". 

May be better off/cheaper to buy an extended cab pickup, and rent a car for the week or so I need to play chauffeur each year?        

3 minutes ago, NokNokJoke said:

Don't mind the shape or size of an SUV, but have no use for 4WD.

If buying new, trying to keep under 900,000 B.

Thought I'd check out the various low end 4 door/auto pickups from the Japanese manufacturers, as well as cars like the Sienta, Avanza, Ertiga, etc.     I just don't see any sedans I'm interested in, and find most of the modern small 4 door sedans annoying to get into at my height and stage of increasingly limited flexibility.

Various relatives are threatening to show up in Thailand for visits, and all of my brothers are over  6' 4". 

May be better off/cheaper to buy an extended cab pickup, and rent a car for the week or so I need to play chauffeur each year?

Most guys I know, city/suburban moo baan dwellers, regret getting 4X4.  Maybe not regret, but in hindsight, say they wouldn't spend the extra for it again.  Can't recall them using it, apart from engaging just to make sure it still works, cycle the gear oil, etc.  Some were Saudi/ME contract guys and were simply in the habit of having "Can Do" 4x4 vehicles for many years.

Country/village folk here who may have to bomb through mudded out dirt roads/flooded areas, appreciate having the 4x capability on tap if they need it.

On 5/5/2019 at 10:22 AM, mikebike said:

Funny then that Toyota Revo has these rails specifically designed to accept their optional roof rack...

F260AA85-107C-4D03-889E-79A674020CDA.jpeg

Notice your own operative word “optional “ where as American motors it’s standard and that was the point.

1 hour ago, 55Jay said:

Most guys I know, city/suburban moo baan dwellers, regret getting 4X4.  Maybe not regret, but in hindsight, say they wouldn't spend the extra for it again.  Can't recall them using it, apart from engaging just to make sure it still works, cycle the gear oil, etc.  Some were Saudi/ME contract guys and were simply in the habit of having "Can Do" 4x4 vehicles for many years.

Country/village folk here who may have to bomb through mudded out dirt roads/flooded areas, appreciate having the 4x capability on tap if they need it.

If you use a lump for town/local work you only need a 2 wheel drive. Saying that that's if it doesn't flood. I have a 4x4 and have used it several times. In the last 2 years I have had it. Every time on flooded roads. First time in Pattaya centre road when the water came down it about 9" deep during a rain storm.

Once in 4x4 it seemed like I was on a dry road. Very handy as most of the other cars were sitting still not going anywhere.

All the other times has been on main roads in rain storms, as I was getting aqua plaining lack of steering in 2 wheel drive.

Yes I know it cost more but this is Thailand after all and I don't know if you had noticed but it does tend to rain/flood at times.

57 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

If you use a lump for town/local work you only need a 2 wheel drive. Saying that that's if it doesn't flood. I have a 4x4 and have used it several times. In the last 2 years I have had it. Every time on flooded roads. First time in Pattaya centre road when the water came down it about 9" deep during a rain storm.

Once in 4x4 it seemed like I was on a dry road. Very handy as most of the other cars were sitting still not going anywhere.

All the other times has been on main roads in rain storms, as I was getting aqua plaining lack of steering in 2 wheel drive.

Yes I know it cost more but this is Thailand after all and I don't know if you had noticed but it does tend to rain/flood at times.

Yes, I have noticed it rains/floods here at times.  Not bagging on it, I'm a life long 4x4 owner/off roader and had to resist my baked-in urge to buy one here.  But after 7 years - village and now suburbs - my instinct was right, haven't really needed it.  More power to anyone who wants it. 

11 minutes ago, NokNokJoke said:

Yes, hear the same arguments about needing 4wd in snow, but the 4wd vehicles seem to outnumber 2wd vehicles in the ditches when the crap hits the fan.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

We used to say a 4wd just got you stuck deeper in the woods.  I've had my Toyota Tacoma 4x4 for about 18 years.  It's good in the snow but they are attracted to ditches. 

15 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Yes, I have noticed it rains/floods here at times.  Not bagging on it, I'm a life long 4x4 owner/off roader and had to resist my baked-in urge to buy one here.  But after 7 years - village and now suburbs - my instinct was right, haven't really needed it.  More power to anyone who wants it. 

My last Tuna was a permanent 4x4 came in very handy when we had the big floods. I had to go to BKK one time and could use the frontage roads. Only passable with a 4x4. Saved me hours on the trip, as the main roads were completely blocked with non moving traffic. Yes I know you don't need 4x4 all the time but on the odd occasion very useful.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived