Why do you want a pick up truck?

I have a 2014 Toyota Vigo 4WD Manual and love it to bits. It has been so reliable and has never let me down. It is essential for my weekly fishing trips carting around two lots of gear, bait buckets, plastic chairs etc. An SUV or saloon with the back seats down just wouldn't be able to cut it. A few times after the usual "Fon Tok" storms 4WD and A/T tyres have been vital in getting me home down muddy tracks. When we were building the house the pickup was great for transporting supplies and furniture and of course it is always useful at Songkran.

The Vigo is easy to maintain and repair and if regularly serviced will go on for years. I remember Top Gear trying to destroy one by various means including dropping it from a great height and the engine still started!

Each to their own but for my needs it's a Toyota pickup all day long.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

how often do you take something in your Pickup that wouldn't fit in an SUV?..

...often. And I will do so a little bit later today when it´s cooler. Neighbour has a stack of wood to give for free.

I´m not sure if I´d go for a Pickup living in Bangkok.....maybe??

I was thinking about getting a smaller car, after having a Ranger for 8 yrs.... I've changed my mind ????

My wife has opened our restaurant (was rented out to someone else before), so she needs to regular Makro runs.

She also likes to be higher up for better visibility ahead, I got slapped for saying "I didn't know you look ahead" !!

Anyway, the new Ranger Wildtrak is looking favorite. Has all the features of any modern sedan. The back seats are actually comfortable, which is a big step up from our previous Open Cab. Its got 7 airbags I think and all those crumble zones etc, so as safe as you can be on Thai roads I guess ? It drives pretty well and we don't go fast anyway, so handling is adequate ++.

The only reason I see for "not" getting a pick up, is if you have 5 kids that you want to be seated, otherwise throw them all in the tray with granny n gramps...

1 hour ago, Psimbo said:

Safety and visibility are my two main factors. I have a double cab

No way Jose.

My car has blind spot monitoring, many air bags, reverse radar, automatic braking, cruise Control. I could have been in two accidents if it wasn't for my safety features.

A pick up has no crumple zone, very unsafe in a head on collision.

46 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

The only reason I see for "not" getting a pick up, is if you have 5 kids that you want to be seated, otherwise throw them all in the tray with granny n gramps...

I feel sorry for granny and gramps.

I can just imagine my mother and father in the back of a pick up !!

I hoped you are joking about putting your children in the treaty of a pick up. Isn't it illegal anyway? If not, it should be.

The only reason I can see for getting a pickup is if you are a farmer or have a business, like a restaurant, but still a van would be better.

I drive a mates pick up and it drove dreadfully compared to my Mazda. Every bump on the road was felt, going round a corner at speed felt like it was on two wheels, u turn terrible.

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I feel sorry for granny and gramps.

I can just imagine my mother and father in the back of a pick up !!

I hoped you are joking about putting your children in the treaty of a pick up.

Just jokes pal... 

Handling on the new Ranger is great, as long as the tyre pressures are correct. Throw a bit of a load in and it's even better...

We use the rear space all the time, so it's a no brainer. Even if I didn't need the extra space, just the value for money compared with a sedan is a clincher as the interior is just as nice.

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

No way Jose.

My car has blind spot monitoring, many air bags, reverse radar, automatic braking, cruise Control. I could have been in two accidents if it wasn't for my safety features.

Such a hard-on for pickups?

The new pickups have pretty much all of those things that you claim has kept you alive. Even lane keeping technology is old hat. The only thing mine doesn't have is 'blind spot monitoring' which isn't required in a a pickup truck because of the generally elevated driver position with a lower rake on the windshield and thinner A-pillars.

Pickup trucks DO have crumple zones since it is federally mandated in many countries. Since this safety feature is already on pickup trucks that are built in Thailand for the export market, we get them as a bonus.

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The new pickups have pretty much all of those things that you claim has kept you alive. 

I never claimed that.

If anything it kept motorcyclists alive.

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

No way Jose.

Have you checked the specs on new pick ups !! They have all those ????????

3 hours ago, Siamesecarper said:

I remember Top Gear trying to destroy one by various means including dropping it from a great height and the engine still started!

There are 3 parts,enjoy!

2 hours ago, jvs said:

There are 3 parts,enjoy!

My Toyota pickup was first first registered in 2004. It just won't die. It still drives and looks like new and everything works apart from the heated rear window, and passenger door remote. Over the last several years I've test driven Mazdas, Hondas, Fords, both pickups and cars but just don't fancy them.

I recently went to the Chevrolet dealer on the bypass road - not fully open until June - so may give their Captiva a test drive then.

Sorry Neeranam, I can't answer your question cause I don't want a Pickup.  I do drive them a lot for work and I can understand those who buy them.  In Thailand pickups are the best value by far for 700k - 1M baht if a decent size vehicle is needed.  Your CX-3 is a nice little car but the rear seat and boot space are just not large enough for many.  The Camry and Accord size cars are closer in terms of interior room but a decent one of those costs 50% more.  Farangs do not buy the large majority of pickups on the road, Thai people do.  Price vs versatility is a big factor.  

Most pickups have ~2.5L diesels which give very good performance and economy.  The pickups drive differently to a car.  They have lower cornering and braking limits because of the higher cg.  An accord has lower limits than a sportscar but neither is a problem if the driver operates the vehicle within its limits.  

So Mr Neeranam, why do you hate pickup so much?

10 hours ago, sirineou said:

I used to have a Chevy Colorado, sold it when I went back to the US to work and spend less time in Thailand. Big mistake! Got tired of renting every time we came back and bought a small car to have while in Thailand,

Now I am about to fully retire , be in Thailand full time and I am looking to buy a more substantial vehicle.

From my research it looks like it will endup being a pickup truck.

Why?

Because of what you get for what you pay. Value, and Utility.

Price range will be between 800K bht -1.5 mil bht

All the Utility vehicles in the 800k bht price range come with an inadequate size engine for their weight  except for the pickup trucks.

All the MPVs (Sienta,mobilio etc) and small SUVs (MG zx etc) come with a 1.5L about 108 hp engine .  Engine too small for their weight. In the US I have a small toyota with a 1.5L 108 hp engine that weight 500 lb less than the Sienta, and it is underpowered. I can only imagine what the Toyota Sienta that weight 500 lb more will be like empty, load it up with people and stuff and....

About 800k gets you a four door pickup truck, diesel engine about 130 hp , but more important plenty of torque , plenty of Utility, height , Solid. 

Or go for 1.3-1.5 mil baht and get an Everest or a Pajero  

So That's where I am. Get a weak MPV for about 800k, Get a Pickup truck for about 800K or go for broke and get a proper SUV for 1,3-1.5 mil bht.

I like the Toyota Sienta but 1,5 L 108 hp for a 2668 lbs  car? ......

The fastest your legally drive is 120kph and everycar can do that so no need for power. 

I have noticed living in Issan for many years is that the police stop pick ups more then any other cars on the roads. For that and many other reasons I would drive a MUX or Everest any day over a pick up.

16 hours ago, Neeranam said:

My  2.0 l Mazda CX3 wasjust over 1 million. The lower range were 800k+.

Mazda CX5, is bigger and only 1.2 mill.

Thank you for that, I did look at the CX3 ,A very nice car , drives very nice ,strong engine . and If it was just my wife and me a good option,but for as we need more room .

A Pickup truck or a three row seating vehicle with the third row down until needed. This will give me enough of boot/trunk  space for most of my needs. If I am going to spend 1 mil I might as well spend an other 300k and get a full size three row diesel SUV.

8 hours ago, Huayrat said:

The fastest your legally drive is 120kph and everycar can do that so no need for power. 

Sure , I agree and I almost never go over 120 kph,especially with all these speed cameras around. but one would like to have some extra reserved power for when needed, at least I do.

IMO all these 1.5l vehicles for their weight could use a 1.8l  132 hp engine, but I understand the crazy Thai car tax scheme. 

In the end I will probably end up buying another pick up truck because it best meets my my Power, Room , Utility,Affordability  needs.

By the way , I have a friend in Thailand who switched from  a pick up truck to a full size SUV  and he always says how he misses the pickup truck, and the ease of just throwing stuff in the back. 

Funny - I bought a smaller SUV and a local farang could not understand why I didn't buy a pick-up... He was totally stumped... he talked to me as if I had never seen or heard of a pick-up touting off road 4 wd abilities though neither one of us go off road... 

a car type vehicle seats more people, more comfortably and provides a softer more comfortable ride...

Some people who come to Thailand come from countries where pickups are not common.

Thailand has the second highest ownership of pickups in the world. 

So if coming to live here and trying to embrace all the new and exotic maybe one buys a truck because it is different and part of the whole experience. 

Living in a narrow soi in Bangkok. No.

I suspect if one moved to rural US/Aus/SA the result maybe the same.

47% of all cars sold in Thailand are pickups. Thais see them as a status symbol, the bigger the better, easier to bully other drivers with.

The real reason that they have them is that they are a phallic symbol. It's often said that his car size is inversely proportional to his penis size. I drive a Mitsubishi Mirage.

I don't need status symbols or phallic symbols. As I live in Pattaya, it's much more practical for zooming round narrow sois and parking in tight spots. As I paid much less for it than a large car, it's far more economical on fuel, and lower maintenance costs (price difference between a set of tyres for a Mirage and a Ranger is vast), I can afford to hire a car for the odd trip up country. Last time I hired a petrol engined Pajero. Lumpy ride and not exactly nippy. Once hired a Vigo to bring the wife's bike back from Nong Khai. Piece of junk. Flat as a fart, poor handling and uncomfortable. Couldn't wait to hand it back.

Thinking about changing my car at the moment. Wife wants a CRV, I want a Jazz.

If you haven't got a genuine need for a pickup, I can't see any reason why you would buy one, unless you're not very well endowed of course!

Go and try the Ford Raptor. A pick up but with great suspension and engine. I love mine. I was on my way to buy a MB GLC Coupe but stopped at the Ford dealer to see if could try the Raptor. Was sold after a test drive and saved 2 million ????

28 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

a car type vehicle seats more people

What car type vehicle are you referring to ?? As far as I know, a Honda Accord, or Toyota Camry can seat 5 people legally. Guess what, most 4 door pick ups can seat 5 people legally ????

Archived