Why do you want a pick up truck?

4 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

What car type vehicle are you referring to ?? As far as I know, a Honda Accord, or Toyota Camry can seat 5 people legally. Guess what, most 4 door pick ups can seat 5 people legally ????

Honda CRV - Chevy Captiva - pick-ups always seem cramped in the backseat. 

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/2/2019 at 1:00 PM, fredob43 said:

My first lump was a 3lt Vigo 4x4. Got that as obtained a new house and I needed to cart thing's about. Once house finished 4 years. I changed it for a Tuna. 

The one or two things that were great about the pick up was it's size (room for carrying things) vision. But it did have it's down falls. Was crap on a bumpy road as the Butt used to jump all over the place at speed, if not loaded. Also the shelf at the back would fill up with water during the rainy season. I put a top on mine that sorted the latter.

It's horses for courses. If you need the room get one, if not a large MPV. Does much the same thing without any aggro. Also better appointed. But they do cost a lot more.

I have driven small lumps here and I think they are a death trap. Lack power loaded, and being able to see round the 80% bigger things on the road is a cant do. Ok if you want to only use it in town but try them on a long journey. You also wont be able to carry 4 peeps with all their luggage. Don't even think about 5 peeps. If you don't believe me give it a go. Then you'll be down to a roof rack.

Don't ever remember seeing a roof rack on a car in Thailand.

18 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Honda CRV - Chevy Captiva - pick-ups always seem cramped in the backseat. 

I just test drove the new Rangers last month and they are as comfortable in the back as my SIL Captiva...

The only positive I can see for a sedan or SUV is the better handling at speed. But as pick ups aren't really designed for speed, it's kind of a mute point.

I drive one for several reasons:

- I have more chance of survival when another car crashes into our car.

- My GF want the smelly foods in the back, so the inside of the car won't get bad smell

- Easy to move large goods, e.g. a fridge, furniture, plants, etc...

- Good for driving on badly maintained upcountry roads (I live upcountry)

I don't drive my pick-up "Thai style" by the way (no speeding, no tailgating, etc…). 

P.S.: In our 4-doors Toyota, I feel the backseat space is decent as well. I would agree it's cramped when driving a 2-doors Toyota pick-up (or any other brand, most likely).

We're all different, and have differ needs re vehicles; we're on our third car - Toyota, Honda, Toyota; would never consider a pickup. I don't need to carry 'things' for myself or other people, if I wanted a new refrigerator I'd have it delivered.

There's no local family, nearest is 190km away and the chances of any of them sitting in the tray of a pickup would be zero (or less) they all have their own cars (ok just one has a pickup), traveling peasant-style simply would not be considered.

In nine years I've been inconvenienced once by road flooding, was on motorbike anyway and never once thought I should buy a pickup in case it should happen again, or in case I encountered a pothole. Roads are ok that we travel on, been to Bangkok, Sa Kaeo twice in past three weeks, off to Bangkok again later this evening after traffic dies down a little.

Happy and safe travels everyone, whatever you may choose to drive.

6 minutes ago, gomangosteen said:

We're all different, and have differ needs re vehicles; we're on our third car - Toyota, Honda, Toyota; would never consider a pickup. I don't need to carry 'things' for myself or other people, if I wanted a new refrigerator I'd have it delivered.

There's no local family, nearest is 190km away and the chances of any of them sitting in the tray of a pickup would be zero (or less) they all have their own cars (ok just one has a pickup), traveling peasant-style simply would not be considered.

In nine years I've been inconvenienced once by road flooding, was on motorbike anyway and never once thought I should buy a pickup in case it should happen again, or in case I encountered a pothole. Roads are ok that we travel on, been to Bangkok, Sa Kaeo twice in past three weeks, off to Bangkok again later this evening after traffic dies down a little.

Happy and safe travels everyone, whatever you may choose to drive.

Yes, whatever WE choose to drive....????

Next year I am getting a 2020 yellow Suzuki Swift Sport.  536k baht new.

I can get three bar girls in it and it fits down narrow sois.  

and a completely restored 1998 Suzuki Caribbean. 300k baht. 

3 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Next year I am getting a 2020 yellow Suzuki Swift Sport.  536k baht new.

I can get three bar girls in it and it fits down narrow sois.  

and a completely restored 1998 Suzuki Caribbean. 300k baht. 

We now have a Suzuki Celerio CVT which is a blast, bigger and wider wheels make it great fun, and can park it virtually anywhere......

Believe it or not the 4 doors are as wide as my Vigo as well as the headroom..????

gallery_used-car-one2car-suzuki-celerio-gl-hatchback-thailand_6165125_QHBs5xB7volUy9l2ZlAY6V.jpg.1a87a3138b88945ee6efb6a625a76a7d.jpg

Bigger is always better! ask any macho bloke. The cheapest in Thailand for 4 wheels, however, maybe not so good with safety features, one of the worst vehicles on the road for stability. Practical for moving all sorts off stuff including large families, god help them. Yes, they are good for rough dirt roads, however, I would not like to drive a pick up for long distances if your looking for comfort. Horses for courses as they say. 

As for myself I have a Honda civic for my everyday driving, and I purchased a cheap and tidy Toyota Mighty X for those unexpected oversized goods for the house and garden.

2 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

I just test drove the new Rangers last month and they are as comfortable in the back as my SIL Captiva...

The only positive I can see for a sedan or SUV is the better handling at speed. But as pick ups aren't really designed for speed, it's kind of a mute point.

For me, I don't like having to climb into vehicles as you would with a pick-up and most suv, and the captiva and crv are easy entry, like a car... 

6 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

For me, I don't like having to climb into vehicles as you would with a pick-up and most suv, and the captiva and crv are easy entry, like a car... 

I am 6'4" and by bizarre coincidence this year, 64 years young. Although I thought the almost new rental Accord that I got from Budget was almost like sex, getting in and out of the bugger was a younger, shorter man's game. My regular ride is a Ranger with a 2" lift and I can gracefully slide in and out sideways without popping anything.

I added A-pillar grab handles so that the incredibly clever, stunningly beautiful, better than a Honda but vertically-challenged Mrs NL can slide in and out (almost) as gracefully.

On one visit, my bro-in-law drove us from BKK to Loei in a 2-door pickup.  4 adults, 3 or 4 kids along with all our luggage. Lovely trip, as it was sunny and hot as hell most of the way and very noisy on the major highways.  Then we got to Loei and it rained.  Those of us in back were freezing.

I had a pick up live in the NE in village. Not a lot of differne from 

a car depends what you like and will it suit what you and the family will use to for. 

One super plus if your going into town on a trip. Many times a 

group of 6-8 like to have mini family meets and in the truck bed

Gives them privacy... good time management take care of things while in route. 

When their back there its super private and in the front I can’t hear anything...

9 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Don't ever remember seeing a roof rack on a car in Thailand.

Seen a few recently on Fortunas and Pajeros - including a taxi but generally yes I would agree.

Only noticed because they are fairly rare.

1 hour ago, topt said:

Seen a few recently on Fortunas and Pajeros - including a taxi but generally yes I would agree.

Only noticed because they are fairly rare.

Japanese trucks do not do roof racks as they aim for more sporty race type look, American all have roof racks. Look at ford and Mazda trucks , I also think Nissan aa well. 

19 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Probably one percent of the pickups you see are four wheel drive.  Most are high ride two wheel drives. 

Useless incorrect speculation.

Let me help you with that:

"...as of late 2013, AWD vehicles comprised 32 per cent of new light vehicle sales..."

19 minutes ago, JimmyTheMook said:

It's a low class Isaan thing.

Even more sophisticated Thai's laugh at the morons in their big oversized pickup trucks.

What has class or Issan got to do with it?

After i came out of hospital wife was driving a Vios, bloody nightmare getting me in/out when going to hospital.

So we bought an Izusu spacecab, not a 4 door but with the half opening back door, now it is easy to get me in/out.

Class has nothing to do with it, what vehicle is best for individual circumstances is what matters.

You stick to riding your moped.

2 hours ago, Happystance said:

"...as of late 2013, AWD vehicles comprised 32 per cent of new light vehicle sales..."

I think he said pick ups.. AWD light vehicles is more likely referring to your CRV, Captiva etc.. Not many pick ups are AWD ????????

4 hours ago, JimmyTheMook said:

It's a low class Isaan thing.

Even more sophisticated Thai's laugh at the morons in their big oversized pickup trucks.

But you're a hi-so in Scunthorpe......????

7 hours ago, Happystance said:

Rubbish.  Learn to read.  I said pickups not AWD. AWD covers a broad range of vehicle types.  Pick up is much more specific. 

Pointless nit picking post. 

To be expected. 

Seems we have a new cross thread trolling stalker on our hands. 

In another thread I was reading concerning the choice of SUVs in Thailand, an other poster suggested the CRV AWD that he bought for 1.4 mil bht ($47,000 USD) I just helped my sister in the US negotiate and buy a 2019 LX4d 2.4L AWD CRV for $25,000!!!

The same vehicle in Thailand is almost twice as much!!

Can this be a reason why so many people drive PickUp Trucks in Thailand????

An other Poster in this thread called people in Thailand who drive pickup trucks "Morons".

I suggest the ones who pay twice as much for an SUV are the Morons. 

My wife wants an SUV , I guess because of the status,I love my wife and I might bite the bullet and be one of those "Morons" but don't think I will like it .or be proud about it.

Archived