Little girl will not see the first day of term: Killed on bike with mum in collision with Benz

webfact

Little girl will not see the first day of term: Killed on bike with mum in collision with Benz

4pm.jpg

Caption: Benz hit mother and child

A nine year old girl - happily returning home after buying stationery for the first day of term - was killed with her mother when a Mercedes Benz smashed into them at a Chumpae intersection in Thailand's north east. 

Buppha Innok, 41, from Nong Phai sub-district and Phannipha Saenrat, 9, were pronounced dead in hospital following the collision at the Talat Torung intersection on Maliwan Road. 

Thai Rath said that 72 year old businessman Sittisak Phimrasee, the car driver, was not looking where he was going and slammed into the mother and child sending them flying across a median strip. 

Sittisak was on his way to inspect fields in Loei. 

Police are investigating the incident and no charges were yet reported.

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-05-02
  • Sad 6

8 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

In a way it's good he didn't try to make an excuse for hitting the two pedestrians.

When I'm driving I know I have to be single-minded in concentrating on the road and potential accidents waiting to happen.

My Thai family seem oblivious to it, constantly asking if I saw the food stall way off to one side, or did I notice the shop we just passed selling whatever.

They are honestly baffled when I tell them I'm concentrating only the road.

If he indeed admitted he wasn't looking, it's really something extraordinary.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rally123 said:

Says who? I don't see that quoted in the OP. All it is is a tragic accident that hasn't been yet fully investigated and the 'lynch party' are already calling for blood. For all we know the woman motorcyclist may be completely at fault. Usually the case here in Ting Tong land.

but WILL it be fully investigated......only accidents where  a farang is involved seems to be investigated....MONEY MONEY comes to mind.....

• Confused 1

Must have been going at some speed to cause so much damage

to the front of his Benz,especially if they were on a bike (bicycle)

and not a motorbike,which is not clear in the article.RIP little one and Mum.

regards worgeordie

Edited by worgeordie
add on
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, worgeordie said:

f they were on a bike (bicycle)

and not a motorbike,which is not clear in the article.

After some search I found the Thairath article (link missing) and it shows the damaged motorbike that has been thrown into a car waiting at the light in opposite direction.

My Thai is not good enough to read who jumped the yellow/red light.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Thai Rath said that 72 year old businessman Sittisak Phimrasee, the car driver, was not looking where he was going and slammed into the mother and child sending them flying across a median strip. 

18 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

Says who? I don't see that quoted in the OP. All it is is a tragic accident that hasn't been yet fully investigated and the 'lynch party' are already calling for blood. For all we know the woman motorcyclist may be completely at fault. Usually the case here in Ting Tong land.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Rally123 said:
1 hour ago, webfact said:

72 year old businessman Sittisak Phimrasee, the car driver, was not looking where he was going and slammed into the mother and child

The first post (from webfact) you've quoted above is the OP.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dmaxdan said:

Throw the book at him then for causing death through driving without due care and attention. Its about time that a very public example is set after accidents such as this. Too many of these idiots just walk away from incidents like this as if nothing as happened.  

They walk away after paying substantial amounts to the Police and sending flowers and cash to the victims family; not to forget all the Wai's and apollogies along the way.    Things will never change as anyone who owns a Benz (German Taxi) is above the law !

• Confused 1

Just now, trainman34014 said:

They walk away after paying substantial amounts to the Police and sending flowers and cash to the victims family; not to forget all the Wai's and apollogies along the way.    Things will never change as anyone who owns a Benz (German Taxi) is above the law !

am afraid MONEY TALKS here....

7 minutes ago, essox essox said:

its called ASSUMPTIONS at which the Police are good at doing/stating when they have NO idea as to what actually happened...

How do you know that the driver didn't admit to this?

• Like 1

The below is from a lawyers website.  The last para is interesting, even if fleeing scene, failing to report to police and refusing to give name to police, the highest sentence for a death resulting from careless driving is 3 months, none if they do not flee and stay to talk to the police.

3.  If you are a driver, in this case, don’t flee or escape. As the crime from driving carelessly is not the intention; the offender is not a criminal. This penalty is a few measures. You should stay for fighting with the truth unless you have to take a long escape for 15 years.   If you drive a car to bump against any person to be dead, but you surrender yourself to defend, you may have got no crime or no penalty. In case, you have got crime or penalty, the crime or penalty may be reduced or relieved by court.   If you are generous and kindness, when you drive and the car accident occurs, the obligation by law are as follows:
a.     You have to stop the vehicle and help appropriately. For example, when you drive to bump against any person, you have to stop a car and help the person who has got wounded by taking him to the hospital.
b.     You have to appear and inform the near police officer immediately and you have to tell him that you are the car driver.
c.     You have to inform your first name and your family name including residential address and the car license to the injured person.
d.     In case you are a driver, if you flee, escape or not appear to the police officer, the law will assume that you are the offender; and the policeman has an authority to hold or seize the car until be able to capture the driver or until the case will get to the last.
e.     If the driver does not follow the regulation (a, b and c), you will get the crime to be imprisoned not exceed 1 month, or you will be fined not exceed 2,000 Baht. But, if the injured person has got a serious injury or be dead, you will get the crime to be imprisoned not exceed 3 month, or you will be fined not exceed 5,000 Baht.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Spidey said:

How do you know that the driver didn't admit to this?

Yes, most likely they did, as not paying attention when driving is not a criminal offense in Thailand, even if it results in a death, see above post.

12 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

Thats the way it has always been here, who are we to ask them to change, they don't seem to be complaining?

I drive a "German taxi" does that put me above the law? if so I won't pay the ticket i received in the mail yesterday?

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

Which law is that?  I dont think theyve broken any Thai laws.

• Like 1