Is this snake dangerous ?

Any idea what this spider is?  Quite big at about 3 to 4 inches diameter.  Fell off the kitchen ceiling when I turned the light on last night.  Very fast mover as well, though suppose eight legs helps with the escape.

Spider.jpeg

2 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

We got pit vipers here that just sit in the grass and let you approach. They don't get out of the way and if you don't see them you're in danger.

Where does that fit in the chart?

It's a generic chart but I guess they fit in the top line, not stepping on them is pretty much leaving them alone ???????? Keep your eyes open when walking in the plantation, better still wear wellie boots !!

2 hours ago, OneEyedPie said:

Any idea what this spider is?  Quite big at about 3 to 4 inches diameter.  Fell off the kitchen ceiling when I turned the light on last night.  Very fast mover as well, though suppose eight legs helps with the escape.

Spider.jpeg

It’s a Huntsman; an ambush spider. Not dangerous as far as I know 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

You are probably right.  I've had very similar ones here in the USA.  We called them wolf spiders, but I was probably mistaken, as wolf spiders seem to be much smaller and marked differently.  Last one I saw was on a bicycle that was hanging in my garage. I was next to it, looked over and it was 6 inches from my face.  Surprised hell out of me.  But I like them, as I do most spiders.

A giant species of huntsman was discovered in Laos in 2001.  Possibly cave dwelling.  Leg span can reach 30 centimeters! 

37 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

Thanks, lemonjelly.  Didn't consider it dangerous but you never know particularly as he nearly landed on my head.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Oxx said:

Is it dead? Yes ... not dangerous (unless you trip over it).

Dead snakes still have venom in their fangs.

If those puncture your skin you can get some venom in your bloodstream.

Straight to the doctor it is !

17 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

Thanks, lemonjelly.  Didn't consider it dangerous but you never know particularly as he nearly landed on my head.

I’ve just been on google, apparently they can give a painful bite which can be unpleasant but not life threatening