Retirement 800,000

In addition to the 800k untouched for a year for retirement extension 

And showing monthly withdrawals from another Thai account for living expenses. 

Do I need to show anything else such as transfers from my forign account to my thai bank account 

I usally only transfer a large amount every 3 years enough to live on for 3 years because it works out cheaper 

Anything else I'm missing. 

Do immigration specify how much you need to live on every month

• Like 1

The 800k is the only money requirement in your case. You don't have to show any more cash imports. As long as that money sits untouched in your account you can do whatever you like with any extra funds. 

However, they do require you to prove the 800k is there, and has been there for the seeding period. For this they require a surfeit of proof, including a letter from the bank confirming the current balance, an account statement from the bank that confirms it's been there for the required time, and copies of your bank book for no real reason that I can see.

I did my extension in Phuket this week, and they also wanted another  picture of me in front of the house. I had provided one a couple of years ago, but the lady officer wanted it again despite the fact it is not a  legislated requirement for a retirement extension. They can ask for many extra things just to create an annoyance. 

• Like 2

At this time, an extension based on retirement using the 800k method does not require showing monthly withdrawals from another account for monthly expenses.  The visa agent from Pattaya/Jomtien (see the linked article) is the only person I have heard mention being prepared to prove living expenses. 

He also said to be prepared to answer the additional question of ‘what do you live on?’ if you are one of those that keep this amount continually on deposit and the account shows no activity. He said to answer this question, you can show a bank book for an additional account which you use for living expenses or ATM slips showing your withdrawal of money from an overseas account.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/pcec-given-an-update-on-new-thai-immigration-long-stay-extension-rules-253689

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

The 800k is the only money requirement in your case. You don't have to show any more cash imports. As long as that money sits untouched in your account you can do whatever you like with any extra funds. 

However, they do require you to prove the 800k is there, and has been there for the seeding period. For this they require a surfeit of proof, including a letter from the bank confirming the current balance, an account statement from the bank that confirms it's been there for the required time, and copies of your bank book for no real reason that I can see.

I did my extension in Phuket this week, and they also wanted another  picture of me in front of the house. I had provided one a couple of years ago, but the lady officer wanted it again despite the fact it is not a  legislated requirement for a retirement extension. They can ask for many extra things just to create an annoyance. 

Thanks old Croc. what is surfeit of proof? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, salavan said:

In addition to the 800k untouched for a year for retirement extension 

And showing monthly withdrawals from another Thai account for living expenses. 

No.

4 hours ago, salavan said:

I usally only transfer a large amount every 3 years enough to live on for 3 years because it works out cheaper 

Anything else I'm missing. 

Do immigration specify how much you need to live on every month

No.

6 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Another picture?  or just one in front of ur house, ( i provide a new photo each year)
did the guy at the back move?  never saw a female immigration officer downstairs.

Did u do the 800,000?  Any notice to come back ( as Jomtien requires) in 3 months with bank book?

1 hour ago, phuketrichard said:

Another picture?  or just one in front of ur house, ( i provide a new photo each year)
did the guy at the back move?  never saw a female immigration officer downstairs.

Did u do the 800,000?  Any notice to come back ( as Jomtien requires) in 3 months with bank book?

Despite providing one a couple of years ago they wanted more pictures of me in front of the house. Provided at afternoon PP pickup.

The Muslim female officer did the initial check of papers and took a photo on her Pad, the processing was done by a male inside. I didn't go in. 

I have always used the 800k  method. Reporting back not requested. I recall reading somewhere that Phuket wont require that, but will check before the next extension.

Read it here:

http://piv-phuket.com/general-information/changes-regarding-retirement-extension-application/

8 hours ago, SEtonal said:

At this time, an extension based on retirement using the 800k method does not require showing monthly withdrawals from another account for monthly expenses.

That depends on the office and the type of account being used.

If the 800K is in a Fixed term account (untouched) then you may be asked to provide proof of living expenses, such as from a separate Savings account, although they only appear to check you have sufficient funds and not looking for monthly transfers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

That depends on the office and the type of account being used.

If the 800K is in a Fixed term account (untouched) then you may be asked to provide proof of living expenses, such as from a separate Savings account, although they only appear to check you have sufficient funds and not looking for monthly transfers.

Good point.   The visa agent I mentioned practices in Pattaya/Jomtien and I have read reports that Jomtien Immigration Office doesn't accept Fixed term accounts (not sure if true or not) so that didn't even occur to me. 

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, SEtonal said:

Good point.   The visa agent I mentioned practices in Pattaya/Jomtien and I have read reports that Jomtien Immigration Office doesn't accept Fixed term accounts (not sure if true or not) so that didn't even occur to me. 

Roi Et ask for 3 months bank statements from a Savings account if using a Fixed term account for either marriage or retirement extensions.

That would make sense for retirement extensions, where the 800K can't be touched for 3 months after the extension is granted, but for marriage extensions the 400K can immediately be spent after the extension is granted. As usual there is no logic behind how they think.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Despite providing one a couple of years ago they wanted more pictures of me in front of the house. Provided at afternoon PP pickup.

The Muslim female officer did the initial check of papers and took a photo on her Pad, the processing was done by a male inside. I didn't go in. 

I have always used the 800k  method. Reporting back not requested. I recall reading somewhere that Phuket wont require that, but will check before the next extension.

Read it here:

http://piv-phuket.com/general-information/changes-regarding-retirement-extension-application/

Glad you posted that... in there it says..

Phuket Immigration do not accept income into a bank account less than the required 12 months period.

Which was mentioned in another thread a little while ago. IE No 'leniency'...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Glad you posted that... in there it says..

Phuket Immigration do not accept income into a bank account less than the required 12 months period.

Which was mentioned in another thread a little while ago. IE No 'leniency'...

Why do you need to update your bank book on a regular basis if you update on the day of your application it will show All withdrawals and deposits up to that date

1 minute ago, salavan said:

Why do you need to update your bank book on a regular basis if you update on the day of your application it will show All withdrawals and deposits up to that date

Nope - Krungsri will only update with the last dozen or so transactions - maybe fewer

If a letter from the bank is required showing that the 800K has been there for the required time, how do the visa agencies work this? They make a deposit which is then withdrawn.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, salavan said:

If using the income method, 12 x monthly transfers, plus withdrawals from the same account, the ATM cannot update the transactions beyond any space left on the page.

If you updated regularly you could fill a book within 12 months and Immigration don't want to waste time trawling through pages of passbooks looking for international transfers, which is why they suggest obtaining bank statements where the deposits stand out in their own column and easy to identify.

If you have a separate account for the 800K that you keep all year around it's sufficient just to update the Passbook on the day, as there will be no deposits or withdrawals, just perhaps some interest.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

If a letter from the bank is required showing that the 800K has been there for the required time, how do the visa agencies work this? They make a deposit which is then withdrawn.

The standard letter only confirms your name , account details and the balance of that day.

The Passbook or statements are the proof of how long the funds have been in the account.

Visa agents deposit the 800K to obtain the letter, before withdrawing the said amount.

The payment to the IO is to 'overlook' any seasoning periods.

It's a leniency payment.   ????

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, KhunFred said:

That's what you pay the 20k for to the agent, to make all the seasoning just disappear for immigration.   ????

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Leaver said:

That's what you pay the 20k for to the agent, to make all the seasoning just disappear for immigration.   ????

Have you ever gotten a retirement extension in Thailand or used an agent for said extension?  Or.  Are you quoting gossip from Thai Visa?

10 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Have you ever gotten a retirement extension in Thailand or used an agent for said extension?  Or.  Are you quoting gossip from Thai Visa?

Always used the 65k method. Will be using an agent for the next one, depending on how the agents are allowed to circumnavigate the new laws.  If they can't, I'm off to Vietnam. 

7 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

Nope - Krungsri will only update with the last dozen or so transactions - maybe fewer

If the account is not used as in my situation and I get it updated nothing shows unless I make a point of making a small deposit

Maybe I should do that 

15 hours ago, salavan said:

Not necessarily. If you have not done it for a while it will sometimes print a single consolidated line showing the balance on that day. That would not demonstrate compliance. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, salavan said:

If the account is not used as in my situation and I get it updated nothing shows unless I make a point of making a small deposit

Maybe I should do that 

If you deposit 100 baht just before you want your print out, it should trigger the printing of recent transactions, which is the the 100 baht you just deposited, and the closing balance, which will of course have the date. 

Edited by CommunalVisaMoney
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Not necessarily. If you have not done it for a while it will sometimes print a single consolidated line showing the balance on that day. That would not demonstrate compliance. 

4 hours ago, CommunalVisaMoney said:

If you deposit 100 baht just before you want your print out, it should trigger the printing of recent transactions, which is the the 100 baht you just deposited, and the closing balance, which will of course have the date. 

Absolutely not required in @salavan case.

He uses the 800k funds method in a separate account.

On the day of his application he merely needs to update the passbook in branch (no deposits or withdrawals) to bring the printed balance forward to that date.