Just Lost 10.000 Bt at local Bangkok Bank ATM.

It has happened on 3-4 occasions.  BKB I think for all cases.  It was a situation where the transaction timed out but showed that the money had been withdrawn.  In two of the cases, I immediately went to the closest, open branch (mall/shopping center branches are usually open 7 days a week) the same day or the next day.  I had to fill out a form and was informed to wait 3 days.   On the 3rd day the money was in the account.

Sometimes if I am not sure, I will do a balance check first, then do withdrawal.  So this way if there is something funky going on with the "first transaction", I might just use a different ATM.

On one occasion, the atm didn't spit out any money.  Then the transaction was suddenly cancelled and card returned.  Initially mobile banking showed the withdraw, and since the branch was nearby I went there (maybe 20 minutes or so).  They showed me that it was already credited back to my account.  I checked the online statement again and it was as if it never happened (it did not show the debit, then immediate credit....they deleted the transaction).  They printed out something at the branch that did show the transaction "happened"  The net result was positive so I did not complain.

-----

On a different occasion, several years ago, it was a card charge 900+ baht to BBL visa debit card at movie theatre in Siam Paragon.  It was refunded, but the refund did not process for some reason.  I held onto the receipt and a few days later after calling in or emailing about the lack of refund, they sent me a form to fill out/sign/scan/return with the receipt scan of the refund.   Took 2 weeks to get money back.   They admitted that they saw the refund in their system, but some glitch prevented them from crediting my account (???????????)

There was another situation with Kbank earlier this year where an int'l visa k-cyber debit card charge was made and refunded, but after about 7-8 days it still was not showing in kbank.  Had to call the customer service.  They emailed me the claim form.  I put in the claim with the details from the merchant (showing refund processed).

In both debit card charge cases, it was something that they could clearly research and see the refund "in the system," but made me go through the rigmarole of filling out a "claim"  (the money already belongs to the refundee, doesn't it????).

When it comes to debit card refunds, Thai bank hands can be very sticky, even with proof.  ATM errors at the same bank as the atm card seem to be resolved either immediately or within a couple of days.   If it is a different (domestic) bank card, it might be several days.  If it is an international withdraw (thai bank card done overseas), then it looks like you're going to wait 1-2 months.   If it is int'l but with your home bank card from a G7 or G20 country, good chance that it will likely be at least provisionally credited in a couple of days.

edit:  the other atm error was at an AEON Atm.  That was with a foreign atm card back when they had free withdrawals.  Got some error and my debit card was returned, but the money was showing at deducted from the ATM.  I contacted the home bank, did the "claim" over the phone (not sure if I had to submit a form) but I was credited in like 1-2 days.

Another example of how you can’t trust banks here! I have a non atm account and an atm

Account. I transfer 1000 baht from non atm to atm by mobile app and then withdraw. If I need 10k or 20k that means 10 or 20 individual withdrawals! You can laugh but it ensures I’d never lose more than 1000

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

i was at Bangkok Bank second road Jomtien last week, i had the old heart flutter, wating for 10,000 to spit out, i waited for ages, got that sinking feeling what to do next, and what seems like for ever the machine finally decided to give me my money. i wasnt far off walking away, so someone would have had a nice payday, and if i had reported it, they would have said, sorry, the machine balances out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wreckingcountry said:

Actually there are many occasions when the total balances out, but some lucky person has been given more in a withdrawal and of course Never reports that !

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

After about a zillion ATM withdrawals I've yet to get more than asked for.....unlucky I am.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

maybe not behind you but around the corner .....  then when you leave they're 10,000 richer  !

There wasn't a corner, and there was no one there.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Pib said:

After about a zillion ATM withdrawals I've yet to get more than asked for.....unlucky I am.

Same here.  And I've never gotten less than what I asked for.  The OP seems to have these problems frequently.  Either he's the unluckiest guy alive, or....something else.