Do you need to have your passport with you when staying at hotels in Bangkok?

theboogeyman

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

You've started nothing, boogeyman.  This forum is a great source of pooled information and just like, for example, TripAdvisor, we peruse all the posts and pick up the common thread.  

We now know that Somchai's Boutique Apartments at 400 baht a night probably have a less rigid ID requirement than the Banyan Tree.  

I know it’s just that I asked something without thinking about it for myself first and I just recently downloaded the Thai Visas iPhone app so anytime anyone replies to my topic now my phone is just constantly blowing up every few seconds lol.  Also a lot of people on this forum have a tendency to get really hostile towards each other for some reason.  And I’m seeing people in here doing that already after less than an hour after I posted this topic. I guess some people are just different from behind the safety of the keyboard.  

But it’s fine people use these topics to get information for themselves as well it’s not just my topic anymore.  But I kind of started a long dialogue about something simple.  It’s okay I’m the one who asked.  There’s actually only one guy on this forum that I fully trust to ask for information and that’s Ubonjoe.  Normally I don’t trust unfounded information from online sources especially in online forums but Joe seriously knows what he’s talking about.  He’s the only stranger online that I would ever fully trust for reliable information.  I’ve been asking him for all kinds of advice in Thailand for almost 5 years now and he’s never been wrong yet.  

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

The probability of the Hotel needing your passport to fill out their immigration report is high unless you are staying at an extremely low-key place.

I've offered my Thai D/L at several Bangkok hotels - none of them 'low key' and never been refused. I do it to avoid my address registration being moved to that hotel and then having to re-register when I get home. I always have my passport with me as back up though and to comply with the law.

3 minutes ago, theboogeyman said:

Normally I don’t trust unfounded information from online sources especially in online forums but Joe seriously knows what he’s talking about.  

We also live and learn by actually staying at Somchai's Boutique Apartments and the next time at the Hilton.  

Anyway, trusting Ubonjoe for your visa information isn't quite the same as taking your passport to a hotel, is it?  If you travelled from CNX to BKK without your passport or ID then that's entirely up to you, but you've been suitably warned by more posters than not that it's for the best so it's a fairly safe assumption to err on the side of caution when checking into accommodation in LOS.  

10 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I've offered my Thai D/L at several Bangkok hotels - none of them 'low key' and never been refused. I do it to avoid my address registration being moved to that hotel and then having to re-register when I get home. I always have my passport with me as back up though and to comply with the law.

Wait a minute is that actually a risk these days of them mistakenly re-registering your address to a hotel?  We’re only going to be there two nights tops.  I certainly hope not.  

5 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

We also live and learn by actually staying at Somchai's Boutique Apartments and the next time at the Hilton.  

Anyway, trusting Ubonjoe for your visa information isn't quite the same as taking your passport to a hotel, is it?  If you travelled from CNX to BKK without your passport or ID then that's entirely up to you, but you've been suitably warned by more posters than not that it's for the best so it's a fairly safe assumption to err on the side of caution when checking into accommodation in LOS.  

Ubonjoe has nothing to do with this and I’m actually sorry I asked now because you all are blowing up my phone like crazy.  Lol I’ll never start another topic ever again.  

Aren't you supposed to keep your passport within reach at all times anyway? I read somewhere recently that a police official clarified that this can be your condo or hotel - you don't have to carry it on you - but it has to be close enough that you can show it to police if required to do so.

What's the problem with carrying your passport on vacation, anyway?

Just now, theboogeyman said:

Ubonjoe has nothing to do with this and I’m actually sorry I asked now because you all are blowing up my phone like crazy.  Lol I’ll never start another topic ever again.  

It was you who mentioned him.  Ubonjoe's number one fan.  He might want to get a restraining order or something. ????

1 minute ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Aren't you supposed to keep your passport within reach at all times anyway? I read somewhere recently that a police official clarified that this can be your condo or hotel - you don't have to carry it on you - but it has to be close enough that you can show it to police if required to do so.

What's the problem with carrying your passport on vacation, anyway?

Oh yes of course lol.  Your passport must be within one arms reach at all times even when sleeping.  

Just now, theboogeyman said:

Oh yes of course lol.  Your passport must be within one arms reach at all times even when sleeping.  

Yes, you can check in to the Bangkok Hilton without valid ID.  Sorry, I forgot.  

1 hour ago, OneEyedPie said:

If you're on a short term visit and residing at an international hotel you will absolutely require valid ID and your stamped departure chit.  I've better things to do than spread misinformation.  

that s also my experience; I get comped in international hotels and they always copy passport and tm 6 but when i stay in the 1500 thb range they couldn't care less.

1 hour ago, thedemon said:

Well it may be new for you, but it isn't for anyone with permanent residence. They don't have a TM6 in their passport. So I guess it can't be a requirement after all, can it?

WOw -never met any foreigner with permanent residency status - well done demon. 

2 hours ago, theboogeyman said:

Yeah I know I used to constantly travel but this is the longest time I’ve ever stayed in one place so maybe I’m getting to relaxed about that.  

In Thailand carrying a photocopy of your passport and a copy on your phone has always been enough whether I'm with my wife not, some of the posts here make me think there in Beirut or somewhere else. 

Why risk travelling without out a passport,  the "crime sweep" may get you for overstay or illegal entry if you cannot prove otherwise which your passport would provide. 

Hotel owners may get a "bonus" from immigration for turning in those without proper ID, smiling at you the whole time they are checking you in

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

In Thailand carrying a photocopy of your passport and a copy on your phone has always been enough whether I'm with my wife not, some of the posts here make me think there in Beirut or somewhere else. 

Yeah I’m not going to show them my passport unless they absolutely demand it because I don’t want to have to re-register my address if they got it mixed up in the immigration system with the hotel.  I actually just asked Joe about that and he said that it’s possible it could happen but it sounds like according to him it’s highly unlikely that it would mess up my real address in the immigration system.  Oh well even if it did the worst thing that could happen is that when I do my 90 day report they would just send me to the building next door to fill out a new TM-30 oh well.  But it sounds like that’s not very likely it would happen.  Even if it did I’d just tell them we went out of town a few nights.  

I’m definitely not going to let a little risk like that discourage me from going out and enjoying Thailand.  I just hate doing extra paperwork.  

14 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Oh yeah and Beirut isn’t all that bad anymore like it was back in the late 70’s early 80’s.  I was actually there 12 years ago and it’s pretty nice there these days but it’s still very high risk.  Mexico is probably more dangerous these days.  

It is so easy to travel in Thailand without the actual passport, so many do. Police can detain you though, untill the actual passport is presented. Many hotels need copies. Without a permanent residence status we are all just tourists. Please use your travel documents while travelling.

I have yet to be denied with my Thai ID card.. but when I used to do the busses up north, we constantly hit checkpoints in both directions, and it was clearly passport time.  Cop laughed at my cigars and war movies from Myanmar.  Drug checkpoints common, immigration checks for farang rare, but they always seem to nab a few Burmese off the busses. VIP bus might give you a tiny bit more immunity from hassle. 

18 minutes ago, theboogeyman said:

I actually just asked Joe about that and he said that it’s possible it could happen but it sounds like according to him it’s highly unlikely ...

7 minutes ago, theboogeyman said:

Yeah that’s why I don’t like carrying it unless I have to.  Exactly thank you.

And while you're in BKK then your home is like Fort Knox?

17 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

Only joking, theboogeyman. ????

Another good reason to talk to him in private only lol, because I started this darn topic and now it’s blowing up my phone constantly.  It’s now driving me nuts and I’m going to need medication for it.  It wasn’t even that important of a question I just didn’t think about it first before I posted it I wish I could close this topic now.  It’s just been a while since we’ve stayed at a hotel or spent a night far away from home except for my brother in law’s cabin out in the country but you don’t have to worry about reporting that to immigration or showing your passport at family’s property.  I think it’s been over a year since we’ve even gone to the beach, we haven’t been getting out as much lately except for a few day trips now and then.  We were in Surin a few months ago and we ended up driving down near the Cambodian border but we didn’t spend the night.  And Kao Yai not that long ago I like the race track in Kao Yai and it’s less than two hours from home.  

We do get out a lot but we just haven’t taken any long trips in a while away from home more than one night for a long time now.  Actually I really want to get back up to Chiangmai again one of these days and check out the Hill Tribes Villages again I’ve been there before but that was like 10 years ago.  That area is pretty cool.  There was one area up there where I was climbing mountains and exploring caves but that was like 10 years ago.  

39 minutes ago, theboogeyman said:

Yeah I’m not going to show them my passport unless they absolutely demand it because I don’t want to have to re-register my address if they got it mixed up in the immigration system with the hotel.  I actually just asked Joe about that and he said that it’s possible it could happen but it sounds like according to him it’s highly unlikely that it would mess up my real address in the immigration system.  Oh well even if it did the worst thing that could happen is that when I do my 90 day report they would just send me to the building next door to fill out a new TM-30 oh well.  But it sounds like that’s not very likely it would happen.  Even if it did I’d just tell them we went out of town a few nights.  

I’m definitely not going to let a little risk like that discourage me from going out and enjoying Thailand.  I just hate doing extra paperwork.  

If you are resident and have an address in Thailand and do your 90 day reports on 1 year extensions it's up the place you stay at to report you staying there.

That's how I understand and do so.

20 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

And while you're in BKK then your home is like Fort Knox?

My home is a 3 bed house, if burglers got past the gate guards, my Mil, ny girlfriend and two children, they'd still have to work to find it. It often takes me a couple of hours to find it, and I know where it is.

Compared to my trouser pocket, bag and jacket in a hotel room, (or worse the drawer in hotel reception) it's definitely approaching fort Knox.

Archived