Dual Pricing again, but different!

gaviolit

3 hours ago, gaviolit said:

I had never had problems entering with ID and / or driving license and paying as I am a resident as a Thai, both here and in other places throughout Thailand,

You've been here 10 years and you think that, you haven't taken much in then as to the way Thais do things.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I get it. If you have the time and patience, just say that you will wait until his/her boss comes. and talk to them. Of course they will say boss is not here, then start taking video and explain Thai law to them. And wait with video rolling. You might get in for free.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, scoutman360 said:

I get it. If you have the time and patience, just say that you will wait until his/her boss comes. and talk to them. Of course they will say boss is not here, then start taking video and explain Thai law to them. And wait with video rolling. You might get in for free.

Life's far too short particularly when you can drive / ride down the road and visit somewhere else.  Or bite the bullet and enjoy your day out.  

I've experienced dual pricing on many occasions and have just paid up.  It wasn't much money to be honest and invariably enjoyed my visit.  I've even been to the Grand Palace on more than one occasion and it's a nice afternoon out.  

• Like 1

The Thai government maintains certain sites, like the Grand Palace, as heritage for the Thai people.  It doesn't seem unreasonable that they offer their citizens a subsidized admission price.

I'm less enamored with certain attractions owned and operated by foreigners.  Does Ripley's Believe it or Not in Pattaya still use dual pricing?  It is owned and operated by foreigners, no?

(As I recall, Las Vegas offers discounts on many shows to those who present a local driver's license.  Is that reprehensible dual pricing?)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

When some Thais see a farang, that little devil that resides in all of us surfaces just long enough to frustrate the farang and give some sadistic pleasure to an otherwise mundane existence...

Laugh it off and move on...these little stinkers will never amount to anything or come close to reaching middle class...????

"that little devil that resides in all of us surfaces"

Strange reply, considering that, according to you, we all have that same tendency?

Edited by dotpoom

Dual pricing is Thai price and foreigner price. You are a foreigner and have to pay the same as all us other foreigners do.

If you had a Thai passport or Thai Id card showing you are a Thai citizen you would be charged the Thai price.

You may have a yellow tabien baan and a pink Id card but that does not make you Thai.

I am do not agree with dual pricing but there is no point in getting anoyed about it.

• Like 2

All those years in USA when I paid full price at movies when those cheating elderly got in on discounts - and what about those awful people who went on Wednesday afternoon - half price!!

Universities that charge less for in state people then out of state - PUBLIC golf courses that charge less for local residents... and those spiteful coupon clippers at the grocery store... 

This is such a tired $2 issue... and yes, it is the money - I bet you don't protest in your home country when it falls in your favor... I don't think you will be asked or able to make the laws here, nor should you. You have choice - pay or don't go.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mania said:

You see son this is what we call racist stupidity.

This is why we want you to go to school & learn not to be a kwai

You don't have kids - do you? Embarrassing the life out of them in public is not really helpful for their upbringing... 

• Haha 1

The way I look at it, is if it is government run then it is OK to give Thais a discount. If it is a private company (or shop) it is wrong.

Then look at the price and pay if it is worth it. I am well travelled so now only want to pay to enter national parks and not much else.

Our local museum gave a discount to locals in the UK (don't know if it still does). Also remember most foreigners will only visit one or two such places on holiday, where as Thais may visit many in a lifetime.

19 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

"that little devil that resides in all of us surfaces"

Strange reply, considering that, according to you, we all have that same tendency?

We all are capable of acting inappropriately...most of us choose not to do so...????

• Like 1

Indeed over the years I have learnt not to get too aggravated by that sort of Thai shit, there is really too much of it around, so better we get some masochistic pleasure out of it.

On the other hand I have just spent a short holiday in Bangkok and Pattaya and have paid "resident" entrance fee at most sites. I just hand over my driver's license to the wife and let her do the talking. The problems lies mainly with the hard core government places, such as national parks.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

Let's see...

On one hand I push myself closer to a heart attack.

On the other hand I am "out" 50 baht and have a beautiful day with my daughter.

Real real tough choice. 

Only 50 Baht?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, gaviolit said:

system of double price for foreigners / Thais,

Suck it up, get used to it, don't be such a tight ass and move on.

It is after all their country. Learn to live by their rules.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

You don't have kids - do you? Embarrassing the life out of them in public is not really helpful for their upbringing... 

Raised 4

All of them now above 20 years old.. all four intelligent,successful,self sufficient,happy,healthy

Which of course makes me proud & happy ????

• Like 1

14 hours ago, OneEyedPie said:

The pink ID card also appears to be the Thai way of embarrassing male expats.  Quite effeminate if you ask me.  

only for certain western countries, pink appears to be quite queer for guys.

In Thailand, PINK is the colour of Tuesday and many males do  walk around in pinkish outfit (shirt, cap, tie, shawl/bandana sometimes)

Edited by thurien

26 minutes ago, mania said:

Raised 4

All of them now above 20 years old.. all four intelligent,successful,self sufficient,happy,healthy

Which of course makes me proud & happy ????

That is wonderful... and not easy to do these days... congratulations. You deserve to be both proud and happy... 

• Thanks 1