Thailand Out, New World in

Whatever people may think of the current situation , once the new junta government begins to rule I see a steady and inexorable worsening of bureaucracy and an increase in departing expats. 

In their place will come a lot more Chinese .

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, SchuetzRob said:

Cannot comment on hookers prices, but as to petrol for cars your memory seems to be a bit in wishful thinking mode... End of 2008 gasohol 95 thb 17 per liter.

2019 thb 29......

In 2009 my scooter took 91 at 33bht/ltr.

Today it uses E20 at 28bht/ltr.

I have no interest in the label on the fuel, I just buy the cheapest that makes it go.

Thais get nastier every year. They routinely yell  at foreigners because they got angry and cant control themselves like small children.

I was attacked by a travel agent representative inside Thailand immigration. He grabbed my backpack and whipped my head backwards. Impossible to do in any other country. No one cared. Police wouldn't even contact the tour company. Wouldn't help in any way. I still get neck pain and headaches after two years.

My Asian non-thai wife and I spend part of the year in jomtien. We like to go to Bangkok for a few days at a time, but every time we go, EVERYONE in cheating us everywhere over everything.

Except 7-11. 

Booked a nice hotel for a few days on Agoda. Get there, and they tried to charge us for the room saying Agoda didnt accept our credit card, which is absurd as it is the card on file at Agoda. They try to get us to pay 8000 baht for the 4 days and a deposit. I said I already paid. They asked me if I could check with my credit card company. What?! Now?! At the reception desk? Are you insane?!? Checked with the credit card online when I got home, and I was charged.

Air quality is horrible. Garbage is burned daily, and I need to randomly close the condo sliding door to avoid burning garbage and plastic smell. Thais leave garbage at the beach like it was a sport. And they are first. Throw cigarettes into the gulf regularly. Thai "men" peacock everywhere they go as if their dirty clothes and isaan skin and opposable toes are fashion items. 

Police force is an embarrassing joke, with their tight pants and highwayman masks on, extorting foreigners on the side of the road. 

You must let a thai scream and berate you in public because yelling back would mean every thai man in the area would be salivating to join in in beating the living crap out of you.

We are selling our condo. And moving back to where good people live. And where the police will protect you, and not for a price. 

Nastier and nastier every year. Dirtier and disgusting beaches now. Swim at Pttaya Beach, and you literally could die soon after.

At least I lived through the zenith of their society, which peaked quickly, and fell into disrepair, chaos, and social anarchy. 

And military occupation by insufferable thieves. 

24 minutes ago, soistalker said:

Thais get nastier every year. They routinely yell  at foreigners because they got angry and cant control themselves like small children.

I was attacked by a travel agent representative inside Thailand immigration. He grabbed my backpack and whipped my head backwards. Impossible to do in any other country. No one cared. Police wouldn't even contact the tour company. Wouldn't help in any way. I still get neck pain and headaches after two years.

My Asian non-thai wife and I spend part of the year in jomtien. We like to go to Bangkok for a few days at a time, but every time we go, EVERYONE in cheating us everywhere over everything.

Except 7-11. 

Booked a nice hotel for a few days on Agoda. Get there, and they tried to charge us for the room saying Agoda didnt accept our credit card, which is absurd as it is the card on file at Agoda. They try to get us to pay 8000 baht for the 4 days and a deposit. I said I already paid. They asked me if I could check with my credit card company. What?! Now?! At the reception desk? Are you insane?!? Checked with the credit card online when I got home, and I was charged.

Air quality is horrible. Garbage is burned daily, and I need to randomly close the condo sliding door to avoid burning garbage and plastic smell. Thais leave garbage at the beach like it was a sport. And they are first. Throw cigarettes into the gulf regularly. Thai "men" peacock everywhere they go as if their dirty clothes and isaan skin and opposable toes are fashion items. 

Police force is an embarrassing joke, with their tight pants and highwayman masks on, extorting foreigners on the side of the road. 

You must let a thai scream and berate you in public because yelling back would mean every thai man in the area would be salivating to join in in beating the living crap out of you.

We are selling our condo. And moving back to where good people live. And where the police will protect you, and not for a price. 

Nastier and nastier every year. Dirtier and disgusting beaches now. Swim at Pttaya Beach, and you literally could die soon after.

At least I lived through the zenith of their society, which peaked quickly, and fell into disrepair, chaos, and social anarchy. 

And military occupation by insufferable thieves. 

It appears that you have developed a persecution complex perhaps as everything you do or partake in appears full of malice and ill intent towards your person.   You missed out the deadly Thai male driving habits also. where every pick-up is heading directly at you ????

Think you need a valium sandwich.

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Can't say I've noticed much difference in prices between 2009 (first came) and now.

Petrol is cheaper, hookers cost 3x more.

Diesel was 19 b a liter now hovering around 30b

14 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

It appears that you have developed a persecution complex perhaps as everything you do or partake in appears full of malice and ill intent towards your person.   You missed out the deadly Thai male driving habits also. where every pick-up is heading directly at you ????

Think you need a valium sandwich.

There's a lot of truth in his post and a lot of apologist in yours.

I avoid most of the problems by keeping myself to myself and holidaying outside Thailand.

I'm too big and nasty looking for anyone (apart from drunk Brits) to attack or shout at.

The bad air is impossible to avoid.

I really can't claim any of his post was untrue.

Certainly if one cannot afford to live here, follow the simple immigration requirements, or have the maturity of an adult to adjust to the changes that occur in life, then moving out is probably their best option.

13 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Should be an opposing viewpoint. 

I've been here 20 years.  Nothing has changed for me.  Maybe it will.  Maybe it won't.  Things have changed in America and I've done better here with my cash as I moved it to baht 20 years ago and locked in my expenses.  I like governments less and less and America is no exception.  I'm a semi recluse.  I only talk to dogs, hookers and taxi drivers.  They don't seem to have changed much.  Motorcycle taxi rates have stayed the same for 20 years.  Song Tau rates have stayed the same for 20 years.  My doctor went from 500 baht to 600 baht a quarter. 

I put 16k USD in a Thai bank 20 years ago and withdraw the interest each year and give immigration 1900 baht.  A taxi driver does my 90 day reports.  My pension has increased so I've a bit more to spend.  My wife's house will be paid off in 2 years and that will be a big raise for me. 

I keep some money in gold and fixed deposits and regular savings accounts.  Wife has a good job with contracts for the next couple of years. 

My grandfather died at 90.  Spent a couple of days in the hospital and died.  That'll be OK for me too. 

If only you’d done the real calculation on how much you’d lost having that 16k vegetating in a Thai bank earning minimal interest that lagged way behind inflation. In purchasing power that sum is substantially reduced from where it was 20 years ago. In contrast I invested in a range of managed global investment trusts sheltered in tax efficient SIPPS and ISAs (UK). They are now worth over 5x their initial  value even adjusting for inflation and I’m now sitting on almost £ seven figures. It’s well proven that over any 5 year period investments have beaten cash deposits which are simply a slow motion car crash due to inflation. 

Oh,and your fate is unlikely to simply mirror your grandfather's . A long period of illness (often expensive) in old age is the more likely scenario.

I can imagine quite a few of us on here don't have the luxury ( option ) of moving out  as most of what we had is invested in Thailand house  family expenses ect 

could not afford to move else where and start again 

Made my choice years back of retiring in Thailand  

try to remain positive rather than negative on Immigration matters ect

I would think there is more people retiring here  than leaving  

each to his own 

5 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

If only you’d done the real calculation on how much you’d lost having that 16k vegetating in a Thai bank earning minimal interest that lagged way behind inflation.

A long period of illness (often expensive) in old age is the more likely scenario.

Could have got 10%/year in a Cambodian USD account.

Old age being any time after 60 years old.

makes me laugh when i read posts like this.

90 day you can do by post or online

TM30, the landlord does it online or in person

Extension to Retirement Visa, straightforward if you have the savings or income, and takes 30 minutes a year.

Rent, absolutely cheaper here than in UK or Spain (my 2 other countries of residence)

Food, costs a fraction of Eu prices here.

Pollution, move to the coast like I have and visit the north during the non smoking season

Yes this place sucks at times, but way better than UK or Spain.

1 hour ago, soistalker said:

Where good people live. Choose wisely.

https://www.numbeo.com/crime/rankings_by_country.jsp

Rank
Country
Crime Index
Safety Index
1 Venezuela 83.23 16.77
2 Papua New Guinea 79.88 20.12
3 Honduras 76.84 23.16
4 South Africa 76.80 23.20
5 Afghanistan 76.63 23.37
6 Trinidad And Tobago 74.04 25.96
7 Brazil 70.24 29.76
8 Namibia 68.66 31.34
9 El Salvador 68.08 31.92
10 Kazakhstan 66.51 33.49
11 Bangladesh 65.82 34.18
12 Puerto Rico 65.53 34.47
13 Peru 65.28 34.72
14 Jamaica 65.28 34.72
15 Nigeria 64.41 35.59
16 Syria 63.59 36.41
17 Argentina 62.55 37.45
18 Dominican Republic 61.35 38.65
19 Malaysia 60.79 39.21
20 Somalia 60.10 39.90
21 Mongolia 59.76 40.24
22 Libya 59.18 40.82
23 Tanzania 59.01 40.99
24 Costa Rica 56.05 43.95
25 Guatemala 55.92 44.08
26 Kenya 54.82 45.18
27 Maldives 53.29 46.71
28 Bolivia 53.29 46.71
29 Uganda 53.27 46.73
30 Mexico 52.30 47.70
31 Uruguay 52.01 47.99
32 Ghana 51.95 48.05
33 Zimbabwe 51.80 48.20
34 Cambodia 51.28 48.72
35 Colombia 51.26 48.74
36 Egypt 50.71 49.29
37 Morocco 50.24 49.76
38 Sweden 49.35 50.65
39 Iran 49.33 50.67
40 Ecuador 48.98 51.02
41 Ukraine 48.88 51.12
42 Vietnam 48.78 51.22
43 Algeria 48.33 51.67
44 Ethiopia 47.18 52.82
45 United States 47.13 52.87
46 Chile 46.81 53.19
47 Mauritius 46.81 53.19
48 Pakistan 46.73 53.27
49 Thailand 46.66 53.34

4 minutes ago, Kasane said:

Part of the problem with your stats being the truthful reporting of crime. The Thai police lie, the Swedish police probably don't.

Also the figures would be skewed by the fact there's very little petty crime in Thailand but loads of murders, and in the western world those stats are generally reversed. If I left my shopping hanging off my m/c handlebars in London, it'd be gone in a minute, in Thailand I've had a helmet stolen once in ten years.

13 hours ago, Lacessit said:

True and false in the OP's statements. Certainly it is true air quality in CM currently is as bad as I have seen it in ten years.

On the other hand, landlords are falling over one another to get decent tenants in CM. My rental cost has gone down. There are hundreds of even cheaper options if I wanted to move.

Other costs seem to be quite stable. Fruit and vegetables in season are always cheap. I'm paying the same for basics such as bread and beer as 10 years ago.

There are always options. Foul air can be beaten with aircon and an air purifier. A bit more on the electricity bill.

I guess everyone's tolerance for government BS varies from person to person. I pay people to absorb the stress of dealing with a###holes for me.

The only dealbreaker for me here is if health insurance is made compulsory, because I would not be considered by any insurance company.

An aircon and an air purifier are good for one who stays locked up in a room 24/7, but not when anyone goes outside. 

Been in Thailand coming up to thirty years now and had some of the funniest times of my life in Sukhumvit back in the days of the old Thermae. Sadly as everything does it comes to an end, although a prematurely accelerated end in this case. I had a walk the other night for old times sake around Sukhumvit from soi 5 up to Cowboy, you couldn't believe what these nutters have done to all the great bars and discos, street bars, street food, and left absolutley nothing in its place for the people who's business they destroyed without a thought...... Soi 7 looks like it's been napalmed, there's a few hangers on down the road but it's gone, one of the best restaurants and bars (New Wave)  all just knocked down and left, same with soi 11, Cheap Charlies and sorrounding restaurants and bars, knocked down and left, the list goes on, but what these myopic fools are not seeing is that everyone's now reading the writing on the wall and legging it, the ones who are left, well i think most of them their mother could only love...... Sad, but wherever in the world the boys with shiny buttons take over you can guarantee the outcome....... Bags are packed, waiting for the push........ Too much BS, not enough fun and too expensive........ well done Somchai, you've finally killed the goose......... 

1 minute ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Bags are packed, waiting for the push........ Too much BS, not enough fun and too expensive........ well done Somchai, you've finally killed the goose......... 

Last month I was astounded how much fun Bar street in Phnom Penh was.

Chiang mai used to be like that 10 years back, also all gone now.

18 minutes ago, Kasane said:

Rank
Country
Crime Index
Safety Index
1 Venezuela 83.23 16.77
2 Papua New Guinea 79.88 20.12
3 Honduras 76.84 23.16
4 South Africa 76.80 23.20
5 Afghanistan 76.63 23.37
6 Trinidad And Tobago 74.04 25.96
7 Brazil 70.24 29.76
8 Namibia 68.66 31.34
9 El Salvador 68.08 31.92
10 Kazakhstan 66.51 33.49
11 Bangladesh 65.82 34.18
12 Puerto Rico 65.53 34.47
13 Peru 65.28 34.72
14 Jamaica 65.28 34.72
15 Nigeria 64.41 35.59
16 Syria 63.59 36.41
17 Argentina 62.55 37.45
18 Dominican Republic 61.35 38.65
19 Malaysia 60.79 39.21
20 Somalia 60.10 39.90
21 Mongolia 59.76 40.24
22 Libya 59.18 40.82
23 Tanzania 59.01 40.99
24 Costa Rica 56.05 43.95
25 Guatemala 55.92 44.08
26 Kenya 54.82 45.18
27 Maldives 53.29 46.71
28 Bolivia 53.29 46.71
29 Uganda 53.27 46.73
30 Mexico 52.30 47.70
31 Uruguay 52.01 47.99
32 Ghana 51.95 48.05
33 Zimbabwe 51.80 48.20
34 Cambodia 51.28 48.72
35 Colombia 51.26 48.74
36 Egypt 50.71 49.29
37 Morocco 50.24 49.76
38 Sweden 49.35 50.65
39 Iran 49.33 50.67
40 Ecuador 48.98 51.02
41 Ukraine 48.88 51.12
42 Vietnam 48.78 51.22
43 Algeria 48.33 51.67
44 Ethiopia 47.18 52.82
45 United States 47.13 52.87
46 Chile 46.81 53.19
47 Mauritius 46.81 53.19
48 Pakistan 46.73 53.27
49 Thailand 46.66 53.34

One thing recently that the whole world is beginning to understand is that Politicians, polls and experts are to be given a wide berth and treat like an STD.......

20 hours ago, Johnny Rotten said:

Times are a 'changing, and Thailand can no longer be considered a good retirement haven or place to raise a family, unless you have endless patience, lots of funds and are prepared to pay agents to handle all your Immigration paperwork. Maybe I was a fool to think Thailand would be a good place to stay.

Here are the facts (if you don't have funds to buy an Elite visa / 10 million Baht condo investment) for most of us unfortunates:

- One must apply for a marriage/retirement extension every year (with a thick ream of paper, new photos, etc, and new requirements every year), and my wife has to take a day off work to show her face at immigration and put a forced 'smile on her dial'

- Every 90 days submit a 90 day report detailing your whereabouts

- Every time you come back from abroad/move out of your area, a TM30 needs to be registered with Immigration.

Poppycock.

Why don't you do as i do, and have as little to do with immigration as possible.

Lived here full time for 16 years, never gone for the marriage nor retirement visa.

Only the multi Non O.

Show no money.

Leave the country every 90 days.

Nice little border bounce holiday, duty free wine, beer and baguettes.

If you love traveling every 90 days, one could apply for the multiple entry non O visa - no, I don't enjoy to be forced to escape from Thailand every 90 days. I like to travel when I need and want to.

Wow, must be a real problem, crossing a border and returning in 45 minutes if you want it quick. Every 90 days.

I look at it as a nice day or two out.

- It appears that Bangkok Immigration is now starting to charge foreigners for not registering their movements - it appears to be extortion, as this payment should be for the landlords' account, and should in most cases not be levied against foreigners

- The air has become so foul in Bangkok and up North for many months of the year that is could seriously jeopardize your health -

Nope not here.

- So much paperwork is now involved with simple bank, retirement fund applications and other maintenance transactions (read - AML checks etc) that I wonder where the trees come from to feed the piles of paper.

Nope, again not here.

and one does not get value for money anymore, with regard to apartment rentals and food.

Sorry. Again not here.

Sure stuff has got more expensive, but that is the same everywhere in the world.

Racism is ever present in Thailand, but appears to have worsened in the last few years under the junta.

Again, not where i live.

We must be living on different planets, let alone worlds...

I still love the place, and the people, but then i don't live in tourist "hotspots".

Sure it has it's problems, but where has'nt?

Regards,

glass half full type of guy.

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Last month I was astounded how much fun Bar street in Phnom Penh was.

Chiang mai used to be like that 10 years back, also all gone now.

Yep, spent a few good nights in Siem Reap, reminded me of how Bkk used to be...... Cheap and fun......... as opposed to nasty and expensive.....

6 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Yep, spent a few good nights in Siem Reap, reminded me of how Bkk used to be...... Cheap and fun......... as opposed to nasty and expensive.....

Was there in April, and agree it was loads of fun, bars full of freelancers, the booze was really cheap, and everyone was smoking cannabis.

34 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Part of the problem with your stats being the truthful reporting of crime. The Thai police lie, the Swedish police probably don't.

All your problem is here.

For the staple foods in my diet, the price in Australia is the same as in Thailand now. The weak Australian dollar has just crushed the value. There is much truth in the fact of theses posts to show warning to those that thinking retirement in Thailand is cheap. Sure it is cheap if you want to rent a one bedroom Condo, eat street food and bar fine hookers. That's just about the extent of what many expats do. Problem is Cambodia offers the same but not in such a grand fashion but many of my friends only go for the cheap beer, fact you can smoke grass and of course the girls. Same same but really no different.

It is like saying Chiang Mai is not polluted. I am sick and tired of hearing Thai apologists say it is not too bad when it is the number one place in the world for days on end. No really, there is a lot of truth in such posts and anyone that wants to nickel and dime it in Thailand is in for a major shock. Street foods are not good for you. Toxins by the bucket put on fruit and vege. Like others mentioned, if I was not married to a Thai and had strong ties to the country and my wife's community, I would now be long gone as in spending less time in Thailand, more time in neighboring countries and more time in Australia. 

Thailand is my wife's home. I need to respond and respect this fact but I certainly don't have to like stating that things in the LOS are not cracked up to what they seem. Many people are locked into Thailand and don't have a plan B because they have painted themselves into a corner.

Archived