Thailand Out, New World in

4 minutes ago, mngmn said:

Really depends when you bought. Property should always be considered a five year plus investment.

I have met a few people who have made money out of Bangkok real estate but many more who are desperate to sell their condo.

Tell that to the home owners USA that dropped 80% in the sub prime crises. 11 years and many states still haven't reached pre sub prime prices. Google it

Im just sayin its silly to say the west always a better deal. You buy in a fab location in Bangkok you will win. Buy in a poor location..oops, same the world over

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Why would anyone want to live in Perth? Or Bangkok? If you work in Bangkok, or want to go whoring in Soi Cowboy, the price of property in Perth is irrelevant.  If you are looking for a quaint and quiet country town to retire to, where you will not be led astray, then you should compare Perth to Perth.  Both lovely towns, but one is close to Edinburgh or Glasgow, and one is four thousand miles from anywhere.  Everyone has their own preferences. 

One of the often quoted benefits of living in Thailand is cheap accommodation. Since foreigners cannot own land, it makes no sense to compare house prices in Thailand with house prices in an ex-pat's home country.

My point was that it is possible to buy equivalent properties in a home country for the same price as Bangkok.

In a similar vein to the posters comparing the price of beer in Germany to Thailand.

Not suggesting for a minute that everyone should immediately move to Perth or Perth ????

12 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Well perhaps Ozz isnt the west then. 

And the politically induced sub prime crisis is well over and recovered quite nicely almost everywhere in the US. I view it as a market correction.

The better way to put it is that you have far more rights to your investment in the USA?west. What you going to do if the government sticks a condo tax on all farang. Or restricts the transfer of your condo? Got a lot of recourse in the justice system and entrenched laws of property ownership in Thailand, huh....Id run out and buy a Bangkok condo for 100K US thats for sure....

The bottom line in any foreign investment outside strong protection countries such as the US, Switz, UK, Eire, Canada, Nordlandia, Japan, Benelux and Germany is never invest more than you are prepared to lose.

10 years to get back to square one. Dead money when other countries have surged ahead...you still think the west is a better investment? how could it be?

Thailand if if if...if my aunty had balls she would be my uncle...if if if ... nothing has changed regarding property laws here. TV posters have predicted a collapse for twenty years,. How did they get that so wrong!

1 minute ago, madmen said:

nothing has changed regarding property laws here. Why would it?

I dont know, ask the expats who are now forced to tie up 20K a year.....

On 5/10/2019 at 10:52 PM, madmen said:

Sure but will she hold hands taking long romantic walks telling you that your first farang she fall in love with and how first time she have orgasm with farang and.....she stop work and wait you come back if you pay 20k baht per month? These are all free extras in Thailand

When I go to the beach here in my country, I see lots of couples of all ages walking along a clean beach, holding hands, maybe a dog or two running around playfully. They look happy and guess what, that's absolutely the norm here. And in every case I bet he doesn't pay her any money at all, rather they both contribute towards shared expenses. Seriously, the attitude of so many male expats in Bangkok towards women in their homelands is toxic and portray a really unrealistic negative impression. Just because they might have had bad relationships doesn't mean everyone else does!

4 hours ago, madmen said:

10 years to get back to square one. Dead money when other countries have surged ahead...you still think the west is a better investment? how could it be?

Thailand if if if...if my aunty had balls she would be my uncle...if if if ... nothing has changed regarding property laws here. TV posters have predicted a collapse for twenty years,. How did they get that so wrong!

Property prices in some parts of the West soared and it became a bubble that popped. As you rightly point out, in some places prices are still well down.

And guess what has happened in the Bangkok property market over the past several years? Prices for condos have also inflated massively. Is it unthinkable that exactly what happened to the property market crashing in parts of the West could also ocur in Bangkok? In fact many are predicting that is exactly what will happen.

On 5/10/2019 at 5:26 PM, Ajarnbrian said:

Where you going to run to?

Remember, the grass is not always greener and it may be better to see the positives in what you got in Thailand.

There are not any positives in Thailand where their immigration is concerned.

12 hours ago, mstevens said:

Is it unthinkable that exactly what happened to the property market crashing in parts of the West could also ocur in Bangkok? In fact many are predicting that is exactly what will happen.

This prediction was being bandied about when I arrived in Bangkok in 2000.  I remember the ghost towers standing empty, like concrete skeletons, as a result of the Asian Crisis of 1997.  I never bought a condo in Bangkok, prefering to rent.  But the prediction has been rolled out, and perhaps it might actually come true one day.  I did buy a condo in Cebu in 2011.  I don't honestly know if it's increased in value, I don't care.  No more rent to pay, great location, City Centre convenience.

1 minute ago, rodentwarrior said:

This prediction was being bandied about when I arrived in Bangkok in 2000.  I remember the ghost towers standing empty, like concrete skeletons, as a result of the Asian Crisis of 1997.  I never bought a condo in Bangkok, prefering to rent.  But the prediction has been rolled out, and perhaps it might actually come true one day.  I did buy a condo in Cebu in 2011.  I don't honestly know if it's increased in value, I don't care.  No more rent to pay, great location, City Centre convenience.

I'm considering Cebu for a long stay in 2020 ... would you recommend it? Do you feel safe there?

On 5/9/2019 at 8:22 PM, BritManToo said:

Can't say I've noticed much difference in prices between 2009 (first came) and now.

Petrol is cheaper, hookers cost 3x more.

My condo management fees have increased 200% in 12 years, and I'm earning 70% less than I did 12 years ago. So the cost of living does seem to have turned against me, at least relative to income. I think people who are trying to earn a living here have a different experience from retired folks (not counting those hit hard by currency losses).

8 hours ago, AlexRich said:

I'm considering Cebu for a long stay in 2020 ... would you recommend it? Do you feel safe there?

Cebu is safe. For long term stay - Cebu city isn't that great imo, but there is a lot of around, two examples

Bantayan Island - super cheap, nice beaches, I saw quite a few (older) expats

Bohol/Panglao - not so nice beaches, but huge expat population, supermarkets etc

11 minutes ago, AtoZ said:

Cebu is safe. For long term stay - Cebu city isn't that great imo, but there is a lot of around, two examples

Bantayan Island - super cheap, nice beaches, I saw quite a few (older) expats

Bohol/Panglao - not so nice beaches, but huge expat population, supermarkets etc

I’ve seen some videos on Dumaguete ... in Bohol I believe? I’m a bit of a mall rat and I understand that Cebu has two decent ones ... and I like to train at a decent gym ... I’m no too bothered about nightlife, and Cebu didn’t look that great in that regard. Beach is something I like, but it would be a once a week event. I prefer a decent pool.

7 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

How so?

Bars, girls, beer, Indian food, hotels, ruins.

All reasonably priced except for the ruins.

One hotel I stayed at cost $12/night (air-con) had a great swimming pool and served beer 24/7 by the pool for 50c. 

On 5/12/2019 at 4:09 AM, madmen said:

And prices DID crash in Bangkok from 1997 through to around 2002. It's very well documented. Anyone who bought then when prices were very, very low and held on until now has done very well. But don't go saying that Bangkok's condo market has never crashed because it did, and spectacularly so.

On 5/11/2019 at 10:20 AM, BritManToo said:

I still enjoy massage and bars, but no longer bother taking them home.

One of my pals catching AIDs in Chiang Mai has sort of put me off.

I do have the funds to return to the Uk, and am also quite sick, but don't want to abandon my son, step-daughter or house.

Hi

Sorry to hear you are not well, noticed a couple of other comments you have made re. that on another topic.

Your reason for staying I understand.

Hope you get better.

Can only  wish you Good Luck.

Like your posts, direct and down to earth.

So far I have been lucky,but the thought of becoming ill here preys on my mind a bit.

Am considering alternatives for the future.

All the Best

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:05 PM, newarrior said:

As everyone said these decisions are personal and vary by person..A good contigency plan, IMHO is to have property you own outright in your home country as well being of the costs and how to restart things such as Wifi, phone service, medical, dental, psychological etc in your home country, on short notice as needed.  Also-stay in touch with friends family and the news in your home country..We are all just visitors/guests here, there is no permancy here and we can all be tossed out of here on a moment's notice so plan ahead.

Own property in my home country and I would have been paying full bank withholding tax rate, and also paying tax on any money I earned overseas. The IRS is not my friend.

In my somewhat sad experience, it's hard to hold onto friends if not living in the country. Some very good female friends married again, and I don't know their new surnames, so can't get in touch.

On 5/13/2019 at 8:09 AM, BritManToo said:

Bars, girls, beer, Indian food, hotels, ruins.

All reasonably priced except for the ruins.

One hotel I stayed at cost $12/night (air-con) had a great swimming pool and served beer 24/7 by the pool for 50c. 

Our needs have much in common, except for the ruins (I am one).

Which town would you choose and why?

Archived