Thailand Out, New World in

3 hours ago, baansgr said:

Thailand used to be cheap beer

Are you kidding???

Beer has always been very expensive in Thailand compared to beer- drinking countries like Czech or Germany.

Or do you compare beer prices in Thailand to Norway and Saudi?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, uhuh said:

Are you kidding???

Beer has always been very expensive in Thailand compared to beer- drinking countries like Czech or Germany.

Or do you compare beer prices in Thailand to Norway and Saudi?

In the states, you can buy pissbeer (ie Bud or suchlike) for as little as 30baht a bottle

18 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Part of the problem with your stats being the truthful reporting of crime. The Thai police lie, the Swedish police probably don't.

Also the figures would be skewed by the fact there's very little petty crime in Thailand but loads of murders, and in the western world those stats are generally reversed. If I left my shopping hanging off my m/c handlebars in London, it'd be gone in a minute, in Thailand I've had a helmet stolen once in ten years.

You haven't been murdered either

• Sad 1

That list of dangerous Countries.....I can't seem to find the Philippines.  Low level crime rates have dropped significantly in the Philippines since President Duterte took office and began the war on drugs. 

I'm not talking about statistics, which are generally lazily gathered, but from engaging with the local people. 

That said, I think that you should make the most of what is available in your Country of choice.  The idea of making somewhere I happen to live, the centre of my Universe is a strange concept.  As I get older my requirements change.  When I lived in Bangkok I was a barfly playboy.  I haven't been in a bar for years (unless I am at a resort) and I have found other things to occupy myself.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, madmen said:

Hang on a minute. Bangkok condos are in the heart of the city, right in the main drag. Perth condos at 2000 aud are 10-20kms away from the main drag in perth city center.

Lets keep it real , no car needed in the heart of Bangkok. Taxi from perth suburbs to city center $50-70 To pay 350 baht for a schooner of beer smaller than a pint.....No thanks

OK I was doing this from memory and got the figures wrong. After doing some proper research.

Bangkok condos that are comparable quality to Perth apartments THB 120,000-199,999 square metre.

Perth city centre apartments AUD 6,627.09, THB 146,000 square metre.

Contrary to popular opinion public transport in Perth is good (except maybe weekends) and is free for seniors for most of the day.

AUD 15 for a midi! Not sure where you drink but I pay AUD 12, THB 265 for a pint of craft beer. Exactly the same price or more in Bangkok if you compare like with like.

You save money in Bangkok by accepting lower quality as in Thai style accommodation and drinking Leo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mngmn said:

Bangkok condos that are comparable quality to Perth apartments THB 120,000-199,999 square metre. Perth city centre apartments AUD 6,627.09, THB 146,000 square metre.

Are you saying that the building standards in Perth and Bangkok are equivalent?

2 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Are you saying that the building standards in Perth and Bangkok are equivalent?

Not at all. Just trying to find a reasonable price per square metre that can be used to compare. No doubt in my mind which is the best investment ????

15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Getting take-out is cheating IMHO

I enjoy my take out

8 minutes ago, rodentwarrior said:

As I get older my requirements change.  When I lived in Bangkok I was a barfly playboy.  I haven't been in a bar for years (unless I am at a resort) a

This statement is very true. My requirements from ten years ago has changed dramatically. No bars, no massages and days now more wanting to be spent by a pool or a beach.

15 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Many posters simply cannot do that and have to defend Thailand as their home because they are trapped and have no other choice.

I am starting to see that the older I get. People that have no homes to go too if they had to leave. Friends with Condos that will take years to sell. Most have no avenue to go back. That breeds contempt to others that have options. One of my friends is quite sick at the moment but has painted himself into a corner. No funds to go back home. If he does, it is going to be a slow process and he has no one to look after him. Not going to be pretty.

Nope, a plan B is always warranted. I am glad I learnt this now.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

A great friend of mine died two days ago. He was only 62 and I am in shock still. Life is fickle so we need to enjoy it daily, warts and all.

Boy this is something many folks  need to realize.

Yes none get out of here alive but there is also no guarantee we all make the 83 yr mark etc

Carpe diem

Edited by mania

10 hours ago, mngmn said:

Not at all. Just trying to find a reasonable price per square metre that can be used to compare. No doubt in my mind which is the best investment ????

well duh. any western investment is superior.

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

Actually comparing prices not investment performance. My point is that accommodation in Perth costs the same as Bangkok if you compare like for like.

3 minutes ago, mngmn said:

Actually comparing prices not investment performance. My point is that accommodation in Perth costs the same as Bangkok if you compare like for like.

I dont know that Perth is a comparison that gives relativelessness (is that a word) since Bangkok is a mega City. Better comparisons are NYC, LA, London, Moscow, Singapore, Tokyo.

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Really? thousands of recent home buyers In Australia would disagree as the bubble burst in a big way. It could take many years for owners to sell now

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/jan/02/australian-house-prices-falling-at-fastest-rate-in-a-decade-data-shows

what about the sub prime crisis USA 2008? catastrophic bubble burst that dropped values by up to 80% and many states still haven't recovered was that superior?

Its just a silly comment to make

Edited by madmen

7 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I dont know that Perth is a comparison that gives relativelessness (is that a word) since Bangkok is a mega City. Better comparisons are NYC, LA, London, Moscow, Singapore, Tokyo.

No, you should compare Bangkok with cities like HCMC, Manila, Jakarta, or Kuala Lumpur.

That's Bangkok's category.

Edited by AtoZ

2 minutes ago, AtoZ said:

No, you should compare Bangkok with cities like HCMC, Manila, Jakarta, or Kuala Lumpur.

That's Bangkok's category.

It really depends on where you want to live which is the topic of this thread.

9 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Guess it depends on where you want to live which is the point of this thread.

7 minutes ago, madmen said:

Really? thousands of recent home buyers In Australia would disagree as the bubble burst in a big way. It could take many years for owners to sell now

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/jan/02/australian-house-prices-falling-at-fastest-rate-in-a-decade-data-shows

Really depends when you bought. Property should always be considered a five year plus investment.

I have met a few people who have made money out of Bangkok real estate but many more who are desperate to sell their condo.

26 minutes ago, mngmn said:

Why would anyone want to live in Perth? Or Bangkok? If you work in Bangkok, or want to go whoring in Soi Cowboy, the price of property in Perth is irrelevant.  If you are looking for a quaint and quiet country town to retire to, where you will not be led astray, then you should compare Perth to Perth.  Both lovely towns, but one is close to Edinburgh or Glasgow, and one is four thousand miles from anywhere.  Everyone has their own preferences. 

3 minutes ago, mngmn said:

Really depends when you bought. Property should always be considered a five year plus investment.

I have met a few people who have made money out of Bangkok real estate but many more who are desperate to sell their condo.

They should be looking to buy investment properties in the East end of Glasgow

11 minutes ago, madmen said:

what about the sub prime crisis USA 2008? catastrophic bubble burst that dropped values by up to 80% and many states still haven't recovered was that superior?

Its just a silly comment to make

Well perhaps Ozz isnt the west then. 

And the politically induced sub prime crisis is well over and recovered quite nicely almost everywhere in the US. I view it as a market correction.

The better way to put it is that you have far more rights to your investment in the USA?west. What you going to do if the government sticks a condo tax on all farang. Or restricts the transfer of your condo? Got a lot of recourse in the justice system and entrenched laws of property ownership in Thailand, huh....Id run out and buy a Bangkok condo for 100K US thats for sure....

The bottom line in any foreign investment outside strong protection countries such as the US, Switz, UK, Eire, Canada, Nordlandia, Japan, Benelux and Germany is never invest more than you are prepared to lose.

• Like 2