Cambodia electricity shortage cripples small businesses

geovalin

It's hot and humid in KT Beauty, a salon owned by Morn Sokunthea. The red-and-black chairs are empty. The fans don't work and neither do the lights. Thirty eight-year-old Sokunthea hasn't seen a single customer today, and she doesn't expect that to change soon.

"Without electricity I can't even blow-dry hair after washing it," she says. "Doing make-up doesn't work either because with this heat, and without a fan, my customers will get sweaty and the make-up will slide off."

Sokunthea is one of the many small business owners in Cambodia's capital, Phnom Penh, who have experienced the impact of an ongoing electricity crisis. For nearly a month, Cambodia's electricity supplier, Electricite Du Cambodge (EDC), has stopped supplying power to large parts of the country, saying it was unable to meet the high demand.

read more https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3697517

Unfortunately it is a matter of priority for those in "power". Millions and millions of US$ have recently been spent with the Chinese on upgrading the Cambodian military but not on the supply of electricity. However, I believe the country has signed a recent agreement to buy additional electricity from Vietnam.

15 minutes ago, madmen said:

Sounds like a wonderful alternative to Bangkok :coffee1:

When I was there they didn't have power in the mornings.

The hotel had it's own jenny, so not really a problem.

I would go for an early morning walk along the river, then sit by the pool or by the river drinking a beer.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I would go for an early morning walk along the river, then sit by the pool or by the river drinking a beer.

Its a big problem for those relying on machines eg those with sleep apnea and other illness. Used to get lots of power cuts in Bankok about 12 years ago but very rare now. I live in a high floor so walking down to ground would probably kill me

3 minutes ago, madmen said:

Its a big problem for those relying on machines eg those with sleep apnea and other illness. Used to get lots of power cuts in Bankok about 12 years ago but very rare now. I live in a high floor so walking down to ground would probably kill me

Just choose an apartment block with a generator, then you wouldn't have a problem.

42 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

So "my toasts done pee on the fire" kind of attitude then?

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Just choose an apartment block with a generator, then you wouldn't have a problem.

No way a generator will power a condo block restoring full electricity ,. Just imagine all the AC left on that will fire back up with electricity. No Gen anywhere can handle that alone

Edited by madmen

37 minutes ago, madmen said:

No way a generator will power a condo block restoring full electricity ,. Just imagine all the AC left on that will fire back up with electricity. No Gen anywhere can handle that alone

A normal household uses 1.25Kw, container gens are available at  500Kw-1200Kw.

(There was one filling a parking space outside my hotel in Cambodia)

So a big one could handle 100 houses (say 300 condos) drawing full power.

How big a condo block do you need to run?

Edited by BritManToo

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

A normal household uses 1.25Kw, container gens are available at  500Kw-1200Kw.

(There was one filling a parking space outside my hotel in Cambodia)

So a big one could handle 100 houses (say 300 condos) drawing full power.

How big a condo block do you need to run?

This is first world    https://cooperator.com/article/brew-your-own-juice/full

"If a generator with an automatic transfer switch is well-maintained, when the  lights go out it will turn on and provide emergency power to certain systems in  the building. Which systems it powers is a question of what is required, and  what residents want. " 

thats been my experience throughout Asia. No way are 300 aircons gonna fire up, tvs, fridges, pc,s hot water... never seen that ever travelling extensively through SEA in fact never seen it anywhere