The week that was in Thailand news: If you want a decent conversation in Thailand - talk football!

rooster59

Yes, after being away from the uk since ‘95 ( but still a frequent visitor ) I can see the gears ticking over when I say to my friends or ex work colleagues I now live in Thailand . Perception of Thailand ranges from jealousy ( I.e. living in a paradise ) to mild disgust ( “ you should be ashamed at your age “ ????) and anything in between !!

As for football !!

Hailing from a small village in between Leeds and Bradford I did as many of my friends did and chose to route for the best team !!, although nowadays there’s not much between them !!

Long gone are the super 70’s and all the glory that came with it, Leeds currently trying to get back into the Premier !

Bradford on the other hand  , you have to go back to 1911 to find anything to celebrate !!

On a more sombre note:

Yesterday marked 34 years since the dreadful Bradford City fire and the 56 lives that were lost.

Although I wasn’t present I do have friends who were there and recently I encountered an old work colleague, although we didn’t discuss the fire on our last meeting I couldn’t fail to remember him telling me how it was the first game he had taken his 6 year old son and his panic when people started to realise the extent of the danger was traumatic !!

( Both him and his son still attend City and their lower sister club Bradford Park Avenue ).

RIP to the 56 .

• Like 2

18 hours ago, rooster59 said:

If you want a decent conversation in Thailand - talk football!

I'm afraid that soon the only conversations we will be able to make without a fear of being arrested will indeed be of football.. 

• Like 2

From an old Lillywhites fan, born in Fulham in 1941, the French "Mentir entre tes dents", means, "lying through your teeth". Incidentally, thank you for reminding me we only have made it to the Cup Final once, even though Fulham is one of the oldest football teams around and still retains the oldest stand in the country named after one of England's greatest footballers, Johnny Haynes, aka The Maestro, whom even Pele stood in awe of his football abilities.  Met him many times as I was a friend of one of the "amateurs/semi-professionals who was under contract to Fulham, and he was always gracious.  Nobody really liked the attitude of Tommy Trinder, then Chairman of the Board because of his (ab)using the team in public with his sarcastic "comedic" routines.

'nuf sed

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, wotsdermatter said:

From an old Lillywhites fan, born in Fulham in 1941, the French "Mentir entre tes dents", means, "lying through your teeth". Incidentally, thank you for reminding me we only have made it to the Cup Final once, even though Fulham is one of the oldest football teams around and still retains the oldest stand in the country named after one of England's greatest footballers, Johnny Haynes, aka The Maestro, whom even Pele stood in awe of his football abilities.  Met him many times as I was a friend of one of the "amateurs/semi-professionals who was under contract to Fulham, and he was always gracious.  Nobody really liked the attitude of Tommy Trinder, then Chairman of the Board because of his (ab)using the team in public with his sarcastic "comedic" routines.

'nuf sed

I saw Johnny Haynes play at Leicester boxing day in 1967, we lost 2-0!

Edited by Orton Rd

26 minutes ago, wotsdermatter said:

'nuf sed

I have a lot of respect for people who eschew the big boys and support their local team. I moved to the UK in 1980 for further education and was invited by one of my fellow students to attend a Crystal Palace game, he being from nearby Norbury. Although Palace were a relatively small and unfashionable club I was hooked.

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

A quick calculation of your age Rooster makes us a similar age ( June ‘61 myself ).
Could you be my long lost twin separated at birth ??

Hah! Yes, July 1961 na phee! 

I devised the following sentence to make sure that all the letters are contained in a Scrabble set...it doesn't use the blanks:

ENGLAND ROARED FOR BLUE OR WHITE JULY OF SIXTY ONE. I WAS BORN AS MEGA QUICK CREATIVE TOTTENHAM ZAPPED LEAGUE DIVISION I

Rooster

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Knee Jerk Reaction said:

I have a lot of respect for people who eschew the big boys and support their local team. I moved to the UK in 1980 for further education and was invited by one of my fellow students to attend a Crystal Palace game, he being from nearby Norbury. Although Palace were a relatively small and unfashionable club I was hooked.

I was born just four miles from Selhurst park but as explained in my story, my mum decided my football supporting fate. But I saw many games at Palace including one attended by 50,000+ if I remember correctly when they got promoted. 

I have relatives who support Palace. 

Rooster

You used to weave the week’s ‘news’ stories into a fairly entertaining read. Now it appears a rambling reminiscing followed by basically bullet pointing events (most of the commentary you attach having been already thrashed over by TVF armchair pundits) of note is the style. I don’t see it as an improvement, but it is of course your soapbox......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

I was born just four miles from Selhurst park but as explained in my story, my mum decided my football supporting fate. But I saw many games at Palace including one attended by 50,000+ if I remember correctly when they got promoted. 

I have relatives who support Palace. 

Rooster

Two of my sons have stayed on in London permanently after leaving here and completing university there. One supports Palace. The other is a lifelong diehard Spurs supporter, despite my gentle cajoling when he was growing up ????.

Having been away from UK since 98 and only visited once (in 2003) there are three things I miss: Spring, horseracing on TV and free health care. But none of them are good enough reasons to want to live there 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

A quick calculation of your age Rooster makes us a similar age ( June ‘61 myself ).
Could you be my long lost twin separated at birth ??

You wouldn't be from Pool or Bramhope, would you? 

2 hours ago, Sir Swagman said:

You used to weave the week’s ‘news’ stories into a fairly entertaining read. Now it appears a rambling reminiscing followed by basically bullet pointing events (most of the commentary you attach having been already thrashed over by TVF armchair pundits) of note is the style. I don’t see it as an improvement, but it is of course your soapbox......

He's still feeling euphoric about Spurs' win. He is forgiven, even if I have little to no interest in football myself. Nice to have a passion for something. I'm still looking for mine.  

• Like 1

Entirely my reason for not moving to the States back in the Eighties. As an enthusiast season worker in a five-star hotel in Davos, Switzerland, I was offered a huge opportunity in Colorado - too far from M16 ORA !!

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

He's still feeling euphoric about Spurs' win. He is forgiven, even if I have little to no interest in football myself. Nice to have a passion for something. I'm still looking for mine.  

Thanks for allowing me my indulgence, Garry. I shall endeavor to get back to the news next week!

But no passion? What about that gorgeous wife I see you with? ????

Rooster

6 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

'nuf sed

"Mentir entre tes dents" is by no means proper/correct French. This is translated Literally Word for word...No French person would say this !!!

The French say "mentir comme un arracheur de dents" !!! Which means lying like a tooth puller !!! (Old style Street Dentist) !!!

For further translations please refrain from using GOOGLE TRANSLATE !

Best regards, Off Road Pat !!

Thai mainly know of Liverpool Manchester United and Buri Ram!

The lack of conversational skill is apparent in Thai lack of education. 

Oh and not forgetting their very good knowlegde about extoring money, drinking whiskey and thinking that life is one big party at the cost to foreigners.

10 minutes ago, Sonhia said:

Thai mainly know of Liverpool Manchester United and Buri Ram!

The lack of conversational skill is apparent in Thai lack of education. 

Oh and not forgetting their very good knowlegde about extoring money, drinking whiskey and thinking that life is one big party at the cost to foreigners.

Clearly, you love Thailand, and appear to not know very much about this lovely country.

????

21 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes, after being away from the uk since ‘95 ( but still a frequent visitor ) I can see the gears ticking over when I say to my friends or ex work colleagues I now live in Thailand . Perception of Thailand ranges from jealousy ( I.e. living in a paradise ) to mild disgust ( “ you should be ashamed at your age “ ????) and anything in between !!

As for football !!

Hailing from a small village in between Leeds and Bradford I did as many of my friends did and chose to route for the best team !!, although nowadays there’s not much between them !!

Long gone are the super 70’s and all the glory that came with it, Leeds currently trying to get back into the Premier !

Bradford on the other hand  , you have to go back to 1911 to find anything to celebrate !!

On a more sombre note:

Yesterday marked 34 years since the dreadful Bradford City fire and the 56 lives that were lost.

Although I wasn’t present I do have friends who were there and recently I encountered an old work colleague, although we didn’t discuss the fire on our last meeting I couldn’t fail to remember him telling me how it was the first game he had taken his 6 year old son and his panic when people started to realise the extent of the danger was traumatic !!

( Both him and his son still attend City and their lower sister club Bradford Park Avenue ).

RIP to the 56 .

MOT ALAW!!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/12/2019 at 7:52 PM, overherebc said:

Looking forward to Spurs playing Iceland next month as the manager has said if they beat Iceland he will try a game against Aldi the following week.

If that works out, there's talk about Spurs vs Spar's fresh-baked goods section. Lidl hope of a win though.