Small-Tip C-Ring Removal Pliers in BKK?

I'm guessing this subforum is as good as any for a question about a small tool....
I need to take apart my MKS quick-release bicycle pedal adapters to clean and lube them. There's a small c-ring I need to remove. There are two videos about this job. In one the guy just pops it off with a pointed tool. But I've tried the smallest jeweler's screwdriver I have and it won't budge. In the MKS company video, he uses the pointed tip pliers in the attached photo. The gap is just a couple millimeters, so the tip must be very small. Any idea where I could find such a tool in BKK? (My local bike shop doesn't have one.)
Thx, DP416216029_c-ringpliers.png.289aa85db16bda1371654f10e1ee0abc.png

c-ring-mine.png

c-ring1.png

31 minutes ago, OliverKlozerof said:

I'm guessing this subforum is as good as any for a question about a small tool....
I need to take apart my MKS quick-release bicycle pedal adapters to clean and lube them. There's a small c-ring I need to remove. There are two videos about this job. In one the guy just pops it off with a pointed tool. But I've tried the smallest jeweler's screwdriver I have and it won't budge. In the MKS company video, he uses the pointed tip pliers in the attached photo. The gap is just a couple millimeters, so the tip must be very small. Any idea where I could find such a tool in BKK? (My local bike shop doesn't have one.)
Thx, DP416216029_c-ringpliers.png.289aa85db16bda1371654f10e1ee0abc.png

Those are external circlip pliers, any reasonable tool shop should have various sizes possibly Global House, DoHome, Thai Watsadu certainly HardwhereHouse will have them. If you only want the clip taken off then pop into a motorcycle or car repair garage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is a technical term for these tiny c-clips, they are called "ping-fxxkits", they go "ping", you say "fxxkit!"

As above time to visit your friendly M/C repair chap, but do ensure you can get spare clips (see above).

Can you do the necessary maintenance without taking the beastie off??

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

There is a technical term for these tiny c-clips, they are called "ping-fxxkits", they go "ping", you say "fxxkit!"

As above time to visit your friendly M/C repair chap, but do ensure you can get spare clips (see above).

Can you do the necessary maintenance without taking the beastie off??

I think you really need to take the ring off to do the job right.

Here are the 2 vid's showing how to do it. The first one is a guy in the Japanese factory where they're made. He's uses the tool. In the second one, I have no idea how the guy was able to pop the pingforkit off so easily with his 'awl' type tool; mine wouldn't budge at all.
https://youtu.be/4gCv7X_J6EI

https://youtu.be/mAwsFTdJWoM

Well, I sprayed them off with some solvent-in-a-can then ankled over to the nearby bike shop. Eventually they said they'd do the cleaning for me and to come back at noon tomorrow to pick them up. I asked them to be careful, gesturing to the 4 tiny bearings in each...and hoping they don't use excessive force on the pingfork rings. If it all goes sideways, they did show me new ones they have...for a mere B1250. 8-|
But they're one of the bigger cycle shops in town, have a decent sized 'shop,' with guys who work on bikes all day...so hopefully they'll do a good job. (Right near where I live in Udom Suk: http://www.sangcharernbike.com/store/ )

Edited by OliverKlozerof

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Those are external circlip pliers, any reasonable tool shop should have various sizes possibly Global House, DoHome, Thai Watsadu certainly HardwhereHouse will have them. If you only want the clip taken off then pop into a motorcycle or car repair garage.

Of these, there is a Thai Watsadu not far from me. I might go have a look there at some point. But I'm going abroad with my bike in a couple days and not sure I can get there beforehand.

58 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Thanks. When I get back from my trip I may order one or two if I can't find one locally.

You can use a flat blade screwdriver in the gap with a twisting motion from side on. If the clips are siezed in place normally they overstretch though and deform
This can be dealt with by crimping them back gently with normal pliers before refitting by hand.......

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

You can use a flat blade screwdriver in the gap with a twisting motion from side on. If the clips are siezed in place normally they overstretch though and deform
This can be dealt with by crimping them back gently with normal pliers before refitting by hand.......

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

eh??

Yes in an emergency external c-clips can be removed with a screw driver. Replacement isn't by crimping as the clip needs to be expanded before fitting. It's different for internal c-clips. The clip needs to be compressed (crimped ?) before extraction and removal.

For centralized repair activities buy the appropriate tool. In the field, where's the grinder?