Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

webfact

Ha ha, more stupidity.  Out of curiosity, I randomly clicked on the AXA link and tried to get a quote.  I was born in 1949 but the calendar only went back to 1969!  

So, I couldn't even get a quote for insurance never mind buy it.  Do anyone, ever, think ahead in the country?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Cabradelmar said:

Capture.PNG.b8caedf0696663d072fcf3715eeb3b4b.PNG

Just an example of what's offered in the marketplace https://longstay.tgia.org/ not that bad

Honestly, I hope there is an option to self-insure. That's my preference

The premiums are really bad.

For the same premium in my pacific cross insurance i have no outpatient but 20 million inpatient.

1 million is easily gone with 1 real hospital stay. 400.000 is a joke.

7 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I think the 40k outpatient will end up being quiet good.

If the private hospitals know you have 40k to spend they will be setting up all sorts of things as legitimate medical procedures.

Pedicures for the ingrown toenails, massages for injury etc. They will be day spas set up as legit medical to help you spend your 40k.

Easiest way to get laid might be to fall off a ladder. :smile:

4 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Has anyone obtained health insurance within Thailand? If so, did you have to provide your medical records from your home country or was a medical examination required by the insurer prior to the policy commencing?

Didn't show anything medical but I'm under 50yo. The did want to see my work permit which I don't have because I don't work but I did end up getting the insurance anyway. They wanted my cash more than they wanted the paperwork.

Just now, NickNick said:

I don't quite understand this comment as there are no checks at UK ports of the passports  on people leaving the UK.

I remember making the same point and was told categorically by another poster that the airlines report to Immigration! He didn't answer when I pointed out that I, for example, arrive in the UK on my UK passport but leave for Thailand on the passport of a completely different country because that's where my O-A visa is. There's also the small question of the gaping hole in the UK's border known as the Common Travel Area

3 hours ago, Melbun said:

It's stupid NOT to have health insurance when living in a foreign country long term. This is a great move by the Thai's. Maybe also the premiums can be taken out of the bank accounts of farang long term residents on a yearly basis. Hmmm more farangs going back home to free nhs system I'd say. Rapidly getting to the point where the night nightlife and all the temple visiting ain't worth the hassle / hustle of staying full time. Many will revert to 4 (yearly) visits instead. Makes sense. Best of both worlds.

Agree, there are other ways to skin this cat.

In its simplest form, think it through. You are born and are a citizen of "a" country. They provide some level of health care for their people for life, or some variation of this. This generally is not available to non-citizens and most will agree to this, as they have not paid taxes to cover this, amongst other reasons. In other words, they would be Cheap-Charlie Free-Loaders (hold onto that thought).

You decide that this country is no longer for you, and this choice means you look elsewhere.

So you come to Thailand. The Thai authorities say "OK, you are welcome here but there are two things you need, so that you do not become a drain on the resources of the taxes paid in our country - some cash to live on, and some medical cover so that you can be treated and you show you can pay". Not a big deal. If you say "OK" then all is well. If you say"Not OK", then you should sod off and find another country (which you can, but that has plenty of disadvantages/frustrations).

I am ok with that. You wont be ok with that if you are here under false pretences, or just looking for a cheap easy place to bum out because you never prepared for this when you were younger. Life is about choices. Don't blame the Thais for imposing or enforcing a completely reasonable requirement because it doesn't fit into your plans!

Just saying....and waiting for the "it's not fair, it's ok for you" brigade who half read OPs and shoot back a stupid response.

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The 64000 baht question. It seems absurd to differentiate. Extensions are exactly the same process either way.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

That shall be decided by you're own I.O in case finally as always…. so a lottery once more ….better get used to it :wink:

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

And yet they do differentiate, when I didn't want to have 400k in the bank, I just chose another type of VISA. 

In the place of my 90 day report, I do a 90 day leave the country (and no TM30). 

Thailand is nothing if not absurd. 

Been doing this for 13 years, leave the country every 90 days (now 150 because I'm married to a Thai), so much less paperwork and questions. Plus I get to go on a holiday to another country a few times a year.

3 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

That 1,266,400,000,000.00 (40 billion US) Thai Baht taken out of the country last year needs to be recouped somehow.

Thailand needs to realize this. I - for one - put over a million baht/year into this country to live here..  I'm not a burden on the country.  I am an asset and I'm not alone.  This moron for a minister needs to do his sums or get out of the chair - - - - - - - -

It says "renew visa". Since a visa cannot be renewed one assumes what is meant is extension of stay. 

Though technically incorrect, it is not unusual for people to refer to extensions of stay as visa extension or visa renewal.
Yep. Often that's how people at immigration refer to it and sometimes if you say extension of stay you get the deer in the headlights look.

That said this news item may be another case of lost in translation.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Just now, Jingthing said:

Yep. Often that's how people at immigration refer to it and sometimes if you say extension of stay you get the deer in the headlights look.

Not just Immigration. Look at every Thailand-based visa web site and they all talk about "renewing" the visa, not "extending" the permission to stay, although some mention both as if they're the same thing. However, don't spoil the lives of those who believe distinctions without a difference are the most important thing in life

3 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

How are Americans parasites if they actually PAY, unlike you? Seems like the parasites are the people who expect free healthcare. 

We who have a proper national medical health system, as most civilised Western countries have, DO pay for it.  In the UK it's called National Insurance which is deducted from people's salaries at source.  Patients do make a contribution to the cost of prescribed medicine from their family doctor, but no cost to visit the doctor.  All meds and treatment in hospitals are entirely free and funded by all.  

Did you seriously think that the entire UK population just got doled out medicine and treatment without any sort of payment whatsoever?

53 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You've confused the word 'farangs' and 'Americans', all us western folk outside America get free health care from our governments.

In your dreams only... :mellow:

I am French and will not get any free health care if I decide to return in France tomorrow :sad:. (Probably could have some emergency care, but nothing more)

Edit: A 3 months delay required between people of French nationality returning France can get low level health care.

They have tried this already,when they cancelled free health coverage,

when you had a yellow book,I had 2 years coverage until they cancelled

cover,then they offered cover for a price,something like 2,600 THB,by

some company no one had heard of,it lasted only a few weeks and

people got the most of their money returned,so here we go again .

regards Worgeordie

3 hours ago, Melbun said:

God almighty - all the bleaters and sooky babies moaning of what is right and proper. You must have health insurance in a foreign country. Stop moaning - accept it of go back to your former country.

Seen a few of your posts.

You are a piece of work aren't you. Have to work at it or does it come naturally?

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Yes, I'm surprised ThaiVISA allows this sort of fear mongering, threads like this usually get removed.

Maybe they're trying to get some commission for fools panic buying insurance.

How funny it would be if all the US citizens found the Thai government didn't accept their existing insurance, and they had to buy a second policy.

As for me, I'd just default on my home loan and live in Cambodia.

What are you talking about? The topic is about foreigners living in Thailand. Why would thai insurance companies deny Americans? 

You're hitting the liquor early today, ain't cha?

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

And the NHS have no right to access immigration data, even if they did.

To cut a vey long story short, if when you go back to the UK, and you are a UK citizen,  you state that you have come to stay permanently, then you immediately become eligible for free treatment; thus "3.14. For a British citizen, an EEA national and for a non-EEA national with ILR or a non-EEA national not subject to immigration control, it is perfectly possible to be ordinarily resident here from the day of arrival, when it is clear that that person has, upon arrival, taken up settled residence."

3 hours ago, gbswales said:

I am concerned for all the people aged 65-70 or more who are going to find it difficult if not impossible to get insured.  I agree the idea is sound but the government should either provide or commission a policy which accepts any age (and pre-existing conditions for additional premium)

Great idea....in a place where logic prevails. Sadly not here though 

2 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

I am French and will not get any free health care if I decide to return in France tomorrow :sad:. (Probably could have some emergency care, but nothing more)

Fortunately I'm not French.

Just now, NickNick said:

To cut a vey long story short, if when you go back to the UK, and you are a UK citizen,  you state that you have come to stay permanently, then you immediately become eligible for free treatment; thus "3.14. For a British citizen, an EEA national and for a non-EEA national with ILR or a non-EEA national not subject to immigration control, it is perfectly possible to be ordinarily resident here from the day of arrival, when it is clear that that person has, upon arrival, taken up settled residence."

I've never let anyone know I left, so they won't need to know I came back.

3 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

As said before , your neighboring country Belgium (mine ) gives full national care from moment foot on Belgium ground ,based on nationality , at least as being a pensioner, that is why i have Axa Expat insurance with repatriation option  

If this comes about the government needs to launch an affordable government provided scheme because the private health insurance companies just can't be trusted to reimburse. I suffered a subarachnoid haemorrhage that needed a life saving operation and 2 weeks in ICU and a further 2 weeks under observation and rehabilitation (the surgeon and nursing staff were exceptional and along with my wife's prompt action saved my life). The final bill came to 1.6m Baht. Initially the insurance company tried to get out of reimbursing me altogether but after much argument they begrudgingly came up with a final offer of 370,000 Baht, despite my policy covering me for 5m Baht. The insurer also refused to pay for 6 monthly angiograms that are required as part of my follow up treatment. After that fiasco I changed insurance companies to a well known American one. A year later I needed a stomach operation. The new insurance provider is still trying to avoid paying the cost of 1.7m Baht by ridiculously saying that the stomach condition was related to the brain haemorrhage, even though my surgeons have informed them that they can't possibly be connected. The surgeons at the hospital told me that their patients have no end of problems with the insurance providers. I have already come to the conclusion that it is cheaper to self insure. That option should not be removed.

reply to post 365 Britmanto, 40,000 baht flight back to the uk, now way its about 20,000 about £500, i still pay UK taxes on my pensions and live with my daughter in the UK, all my mail goes there as proof, (yeah right) and my money is there, yep i can be home in 13 hours, so its delete facebook, new passport, and i am home and dry. lol, i can self certificate easy, rather than these rip off health insurance companies. just the same as any ins co, be it car, house, bike, its ok until its time for them to shell out

Archived