Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

One cannot "renew" an O-A visa....except by converting it to an extension of stay.  When an O-A visa expires, one obtains a new O-A visa.  

wrong - it can be extended for 1 year by crossing a border before it expires = 2 years

This article IMO does not refer to 12 month extensions of stay which have a totally different set of financial rules - IN COUNTRY

2 minutes ago, sumrit said:

Last year a married woman went to S. Africa for six months because her husband went to work there. She came back (pregnant) for Christmas then had problems with the pregnancy and the baby was delivered early, by cesarian. She was presented with a bill for over £10,000 by the NHS because she was deemed no longer a UK resident'. 

Off topic, but the NHS have no way to enforce payment of any bill to any person.

It's just trash you throw in the bin, if you don't feel like paying.

9 minutes ago, poobear said:

I was off to New York tomorrow morning with all my paper work filled out for my OA visa. Another waste of time and money getting my police and medical checks. At his point I wish I had never went to Thailand in the first place.

I am doing same next month...but now I think this will take some time to implement this so hopefully we will be ok for this year but the future is not looking very good.

7 minutes ago, Longcut said:

You do understand that Tri-Care must be paid out of pocket first? Then the member must file a claim. After approval, if all is approved by Tri-Care 75% is paid to the member in reimbursement. That's after the deductibles are paid first. Tri-Care doesn't do any direct payments to Thai hospitals. 

Tricare does do the direct payment to Bumrungrad Hospital for inpatient care.  You pay 25% of the cost and they submit your claim.  Tricare will pay the remainder to the hospital and any amount they own you if over $3,000.

I had too many surgeries here over the past 13 years.

1 minute ago, smedly said:

wrong - it can be extended for 1 year by crossing a border before it expires = 2 years

This article IMO does not refer to 12 month extensions of stay which have a totally different set of financial rules - IN COUNTRY

Yes, I'm surprised ThaiVISA allows this sort of fear mongering, threads like this usually get removed.

Maybe they're trying to get some commission for fools panic buying insurance.

How funny it would be if all the US citizens found the Thai government didn't accept their existing insurance, and they had to buy a second policy.

As for me, I'd just default on my home loan and live in Cambodia.

51 minutes ago, Melbun said:

So you can pay your rent, don't end up living like a bum on the street, can feed and clothe yourself and have money left over for girlies - what else.

A Thai school teacher earns 30k a month all have a home, car, family......but a old retired Westerner need 65k a month AND now med insurance.     because his 65k is not enough to live on   ha ha ha 

7 minutes ago, justin case said:

and how many pay taxes here you think ?

most people pay nothing and cost a lot

Most of the Thai tax base is the VAT, every Thai pays that eventually.

10 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

It's a good policy. As others have pointed out, the problem will be enforcing it consistently.

I have recently gained a new perspective on this issue. I'm writing from a private room in a private hospital where I have just finished two months of radiation therapy for cancer. Nearly all of it, now approaching a million baht, has been covered by my health insurance, Aetna. I have only a hospitalization (inpatient) policy, but they covered nearly all of the outpatient treatments, because it was cancer. That was five times a week for five weeks.

I'm a 64-year-old American, so not quite old enough for Medicare. Not sure if I would rush home in a medical emergency anyway. In a serious, sudden emergency, it's not practical to load your broken body on a plane, especially with Medicare only.

sorry but CANCER is a slow progression disease

your MD might scare the daylights out of you when you get a diagnose and that you have to start chemo on Monday or you will die soon... Big profits in cancer chemicals !

you will not DIE overnight, not even next month, unless it is a fast growing brain cancer tumor

diet, lifestyle, smoking, drinking, medication, pesticides, all contributions

so what did you get to eat in the hospital ?  rice with other high carbohydrates?

just wondering

before I get cancer, I will try 6 months of alternatives and IF I still have cancer, I might go for an orthodox treatment

did your MD tell you about the side effects of cancer medication ?  more CANCER in other organs within 5 years as your immune system went BYE BYE

where are the numbers that farangs do not pay, 30 day tourist or long stay "tourists" that contribute more than your average toothless somchai that never paid taxes nor social security...

Too much of the thread to read... 

This doesn't impact me... I'm low 40's and have full medical coverage.

I see this as a good thing, but simply too difficult to implement.

The issues as I see them: 

- Immigration officers unable to understand the Policies and the degree of cover.

- Older people unable to get cover 

- Excessive Costs of premiums for older people

- Older people have pre-exisiting conditions, kind of defeats the objective of needing insurance

- Excessive cost of Policies which include outpatient (in patient policies are about half)

2 hours ago, Melbun said:

God almighty - all the bleaters and sooky babies moaning of what is right and proper. You must have health insurance in a foreign country. Stop moaning - accept it of go back to your former country.

Many people moved to Thailand assuming that the visa requirements which were in place at the time would remain in place for the duration. Many retired early, based long term financial plans, made real estate investments, and made familial commitments based on this assumption. Many who are not insured here have ample cash reserves to cover a medical emergency, and many have medical insurance which would cover them were they to return home. In the past 12 months, the Thai government has instituted numerous immigration policies which have had a direct financial impact on the expat community. These changes have generally been made with very little advanced notice. Both the on deposit financial requirement and now the medical insurance requirement have had significant impact on the cash flow and cost of living of expats, many of whom are on fixed incomes. You seem oblivious to these realities.

Your comments also shows a great deal of insensitivity to the reality that quantitative easing has drastically inflated housing and general costs of living in many people's home countries far beyond what could normally have been otherwise anticipated. Repatriation today is far more costly than it would have been in 2008.

If you're British or Australian, you would no doubt be more empathetic to those who may have been adversely affected by currency devaluations of one's home currency. Some of the people struggling to meet the income requirements are doing so solely because their home currency has suffered a severe devaluation. If you're an American, perhaps you think the exchange rate floor for the dollar would be pre-1998 25 baht to the dollar. But what if there was a confidence crisis in the dollar and it dropped to, say, 20 baht/USD? Would that wipe that [deleted]-eating grin off your face?

Anyone who wants to posture on TVF as being financially above it all, perhaps even welcoming of Thailand's stricter immigration policies because they see it as purging the country of what they perceive as Thailand's expat underclass, can go right ahead. But I suspect that there are very, very few (if any) here who would not be bleating like a mortally wounded pig were there to be a global stock market, real estate, or currency crisis, which many believe is just around the corner. And in any event, were Thailand to continue to ratchet up its visa financial requirements, eventually no one would be left unaffected.

I think it's high time that people started to recognize that we're in the same boat more than they might otherwise wish to admit.

3 minutes ago, Dellboy218 said:

What's the point of the 800k that I have had in the bank for 20 years then?

That's for the extension of stay of which you could use up to 400k of it in a 7 month window to spend on health bills without going under limit for an extension renewal. Otherwise for the other 5 months you cannot go below 800k. 

However this thread is about visa applications and re doing visa applications. No mention of extensions in the news article that I can see.

3 minutes ago, Benroon said:

How does it ? It clearly says ANYONE over 50 - retired,married,Martian etc, if you’re over 50 you will have to get it - any ambiguity is being created by TVF members who are complaining about potential forthcoming ambiguity !!

Read the OP, it doesnt say anyone over 50, it says

"the new rule applies to both new applicants for the non-immigrant visa (O-A), which offers a stay of up to one year, and those wishing to renew their visa. Each renewal is valid for one year."

All the reasons for moving to and living in Thailand are slowly changing. Maybe it's time to find another place to live. I've heard Cambodia is what Thailand was 30 years ago but I'm told even their visa ease and requirements are changing.

Hi Everybody, have a look at Thailife medical insurance company.  I can get 400,000 baht in patient and 40 baht outpatient coverage at the age of 75 years old for 41,800 per annum, which I assume can be paid monthly at 3,484.  Other policies quotes are either way higher than this and one of them has a couple of very poor reviews on Google - buyer beware!  Another one will not even download.  Not quite the "death knell" (excuse the pun) that I initially thought.  Cheer up you grumbling geriatrics, life, in my opinion is still better in Thailand.

Insurance... Yes.

But then they also have to provide some Insurance with reasonable prices.

Think about it. A retired person over 70 years, an average retirement money of lets say 50-60.000 Baht and rent an average condo for 7-8.000 Baht.

The actual fees for an insurance are aroud 100.000 Baht per year.

I think, they just want to upset more foreigners.

Just been on the phone with local immigration. They say this has not been implemented yet and they know nothing about it and not to worry for now.

Funny how insurance companies are already advertising though. Quote for me 16,500b per year. thats ok. can deal with that.... 

Because of the financial requirement changes, I plan to let my Non-Imm OA expire and was slightly considering just apply for a new Visa every 2 years.
BUT,  If this new insurance policy requirements do not allow my existing farangland BCBS insurance when apply for a new OA visa, I am 100% out of thailand.   

I already have a medical insurance unlike many in this topic obviously. Much higher amounts and all, so I don't really worry. I find it logical that they make such requirements you read often about foreigners skipping out on their bills in hospitals, those topics often full with expats condoning it as hospitals are out there to rip you off.  

So not so strange they want to do something about this. I am ok with this if they come up with a good not too expensive plan. Can't be more then what I am paying now 

I just dropped my outpatient coverage last year because the outpatient charges were so cheap I hardly ever bothered to go through the tedious paperwork to submit the claims.  Now, I will have to see about reinstating it.  For those wanting to self-insure, Thailand should come up with  a plan for them--something that requires them to keep a certain amount of money in the bank year-round for inpatient and outpatient care and presenting the bank book at their annual renewal as part of that process.

2 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

Just been on the phone with local immigration. They say this has not been implemented yet and they know nothing about it and not to worry for now.

Funny how insurance companies are already advertising though. Quote for me 16,500b per year. thats ok. can deal with that.... 

Yes and it would be perfectly reasonable to expect people to have insurance if its only 16K per year i pay 4 times that amount per year. Seems fair to have a basic insurance for foreigners. 

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Off topic, but the NHS have no way to enforce payment of any bill to any person.

It's just trash you throw in the bin, if you don't feel like paying.

Off topic, I agree, but I was just trying to show what happens in practice to counter inaccurate posts.

You can do what you like with the bill, throw it wherever you want, BUT, the UK authorities are no longer ignoring unpaid bills so, if ever you do return to the UK (as this couple will do when his contract finishes) you will be pursued for the money. 

A lot of UK citizens have, in the past, assumed they can return to the UK  to receive NHS treatment. So, from the point of having access to medical care, it is relevant to this topic.

35 minutes ago, sumrit said:

And I was told that would be after you had returned to the UK for more than six months.

No.  If you can show that you have taken up permanent residence in the UK you won't be charged.  Either way, you'll be treated first and can argue later!

17 minutes ago, Mango Bob said:

Tricare does do the direct payment to Bumrungrad Hospital for inpatient care.  You pay 25% of the cost and they submit your claim.  Tricare will pay the remainder to the hospital and any amount they own you if over $3,000.

I had too many surgeries here over the past 13 years.

It's not hospitals like Bumrungrad that the Thai government is worried about not being paid. Private hospitals have their own way of collecting money. 

Tricare will not send payments to Thai government hospitals. 

The insurance policy must offer up to Bt40,000 coverage for outpatient treatment and up to Bt400,000 for inpatient treatment. 

This is one of the measures the government has introduced to ease the financial burden placed on state hospitals by foreigners, many of whom have not paid for treatment. 

4 minutes ago, firemans35 said:

All the reasons for moving to and living in Thailand are slowly changing. Maybe it's time to find another place to live. I've heard Cambodia is what Thailand was 30 years ago but I'm told even their visa ease and requirements are changing.

They got considerably easier in 2017, just under $300/year for anyone over 55 with no financials at all.

Don't even need to visit immigration.

10 minutes ago, ginjag said:

A Thai school teacher earns 30k a month all have a home, car, family......but a old retired Westerner need 65k a month AND now med insurance.     because his 65k is not enough to live on   ha ha ha 

Life is unfair - But you chose to live in THEIR country.

12 minutes ago, smedly said:

Absolutely. Been doing that for 5-6 years now. Leaving just before the visa expires is not renewing the visa. It simply grants one another year of permission to stay based upon the time of entry according to the rules of the existing multiple entry visa. Does not renew the visa itself. 

6 minutes ago, firemans35 said:

Why would requiring health insurance be such a big deal?  It should be compulsory for all expats.

Archived