Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

webfact

I wonder what other little gems TI can come up with to force long stay residence to have to seek alternatives.

We already pay large premiums but just below the new requirements, too damned old to increase the cover.

Lovely home for sale in the smog bound steaming north.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone obtained health insurance within Thailand? If so, did you have to provide your medical records from your home country or was a medical examination required by the insurer prior to the policy commencing?

3 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Has anyone obtained health insurance within Thailand? If so, did you have to provide your medical records from your home country or was a medical examination required by the insurer prior to the policy commencing?

I got Aetna in Thailand and the answer is No to both questions.

1 hour ago, gunderhill said:

That's what needs clarifying and then wait for the Immigration officers to just say ALL  non O visas. It does specify NON O-A so you think they'd mean just that one but its  Thailand and  could mean anything

It also says:

According to Nattawuth, the new rule applies to both new applicants for the non-immigrant visa (O-A), which offers a stay of up to one year, and those wishing to renew their visa. Each renewal is valid for one year.

and that could be interpreted as extending/renewing any visa, not just an O-A.

It's stupid NOT to have health insurance when living in a foreign country long term. This is a great move by the Thai's. Maybe also the premiums can be taken out of the bank accounts of farang long term residents on a yearly basis. Hmmm more farangs going back home to free nhs system I'd say. Rapidly getting to the point where the night nightlife and all the temple visiting ain't worth the hassle / hustle of staying full time. Many will revert to 4 (yearly) visits instead. Makes sense. Best of both worlds.

2 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Indeed.  So more paperwork because some people abused the system.  So one will have to show something in advance when first getting the visa and later when applying for the extension.  So many issues will arise.  If somebody was moving there and planned to get a policy while in Thailand, but doesn't have one yet.  Addresses to put on forms will not exist yet.   Oh what a mess.  And the approval or validation of existing and proper insurance?  Goodness.  The Thais and some embassies can't even agree on the income methods, types of income, verification, etc.

Exactly...and immigration is already a mess and confusing..not to mention rules change from one immigration office to the other..no consistency

32 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

If over 65 they (P Cross) need a medical. I had one and the results were so bad I never got the insurance thinking any claim would result in pre existing conditions get out for them. Went home had the tests re done- no problems showed up at all. 400k minimum cover of course is no where near enough if you develop serious illness like cancer or heart problems, you need about a million in cover.

The outpatient bit is the kicker, that's where it can get expensive.

I'm 42 & have BUPA and pay about 40k per year , no outpatient. 

It goes up a hell of a lot when you add that.

They must be absolutely desperate not to have ONE unpaid foreign bill.

God forbid!!!

This is good for insurance companies, but for people over 65, it's not.  The funds needed 400-800 K is for that purpose.  Why double up.  NOW... it's important to note, equity has to play a role. There are schools and businesses that provide work permits, with no health insurance benefits. This is a fact. How many foreign laborers have health insurance?  Actually quite a few. They fall under the Thai national health insurance.  Why not offer that option to long stay retirees. Of course those who have the resources can pick other options. 

39 minutes ago, Thailand said:

I wonder what other little gems TI can come up with to force long stay residence to have to seek alternatives.

We already pay large premiums but just below the new requirements, too damned old to increase the cover.

Lovely home for sale in the smog bound steaming north.

I see  the 1 million in the bank requirement, just round the corner .

How much for the house, cash only, 

1 minute ago, Sticky Wicket said:

The outpatient bit is the kicker, that's where it can get expensive.

I'm 42 & have BUPA and pay about 40k per year , no outpatient. 

It goes up a hell of a lot when you add that.

They must be absolutely desperate not to have ONE unpaid foreign bill.

God forbid!!!

No they're not. They just exclude preexisting conditions. This isn't really about covering people.

Welcome to shakeout city. 

Just now, RotBenz8888 said:

How are they going to interpret all those foreign insurance policies? Maybe they'll demand a letter from your embassy stating you're fully insured?

OR maybe they will demand that only local insurance coverage is acceptable. Makes sense again. Keep the baht in the country.

3 minutes ago, james.d said:

I have my 1 yr Thai wife visa due in June from sawañakhet but could not see a date this new law comes into play.

Am I missing something?

No...and it may be a while..as it will probably take them 5 years to figure out how to implement all the details as well as try and figure out how they can put into play how to extract more money under the table out of foreigners...then there is the inconsistency that already exists in how rules are interpreted from one immigration office to the next...No two offices in Thailand exercise the rules the same way

Archived