Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, rodknock said:

i am 71 and a couple of quotes were 80,000 to 94,000baht.

this on top of my monthly 65,000baht for immigration

i guess i am f--ked!!

Me too. If it also applies to those on marriage visas I reckon I'll reluctantly have to move elsewhere.

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No you don't get my point. 

The amounts are low.

The outpatient requirement is BIZARRE. clearly for the insurance companies.

So you get a policy that excludes all preexisting conditions, most older people have multiple ones, you pay your money, and then you're not really covered.

DUH. 

Most patients are outpatient not bizarre.

Well, it is like the updated Visa rules.

Then I guess they need to decide to stay or go.

Simple really...

I see no issue in having insurance to cover medical inpatient. Unfortunately, I do have an issue with the 40k outpatient. As has been noted - that will be expensive. I will have to check into how much this will be, but I assume it will add 30% or more to my premium.

Any other American Retired Military here with Tricare for Life?  What do you think about this?  We have better covers than what needed here but it not 400,000/40,000.  I pay 25% of the cost both outpatient and inpatient up to a max of $3,000 a year.  I go to an international hospital for all my care.  I also have a letter from Tricare saying I am covered and the Federal Tax for that is required stating I have health insurance.  I like to know what others who have this think?

3 hours ago, gunderhill said:

So how many are going to be leaving now, what exactly s a NON O -A I have a visa which just states NON O married to a  Thai (no other letters  after it) been on it for 6  years.

Perhaps someone can clarify if  it  will  apply to me?

O-A is the visa from home country.

The OP does appear to only list O-A or extensions based on.

52 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Has anyone obtained health insurance within Thailand? If so, did you have to provide your medical records from your home country or was a medical examination required by the insurer prior to the policy commencing?

I have had insurance cover since I was 64 (now 70) no medical examination just a form to be ticked. no medical records needed. There is a different range of cover, one for accidents and one for illness (not very high around 380K) but it is also a life insurance for the missus. I mentioned to my better half that 380K doesn't correspond to to the 400K needed but she said I am also covered by the village health insurance and this should make up for the shortfall, we shall see.

5 minutes ago, Melbun said:

"NHS is not free.... " that's absolute tripe.

You obviously either don't come from the UK or, if you do, have never ever worked there and paid taxes in your entire life!!

As a long term retiree living in Thailand, I am still paying income tax to the UK via my pensions and a portion of that goes towards the cost of the NHS.  I'm still paying for the NHS and I haven't even lived there for fifteen years. And, should I go back to visit and need medical help they will charge me 150% of the cost of the treatment I receive.

19 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

If medical self-insurance translates to higher financial deposit requirements, are visa agents now going to get into the "self-insurance" business as well? No doubt.

Just looks like more opportunity for corruption to me. Insurers selling overpriced policies to people forced to buy them, or visa agents gouging foreigners and immigration officers taking bribes to circumvent these regulations.

If Thailand's so worried about getting stuck with unpaid medical bills from foreigners, why, pray tell, have they required that retirees tie up 800K for 5 months and 400,000 baht permanently on a year round basis? Money which could be used in a medical emergency? And if Thailand's so worried about getting stuck with unpaid medical bills from foreigners, why didn't they consider allowing foreigners to buy into the national health care system? Especially, foreigners who have Thai family here?

And how about simplifying immigration requirements, Thailand? There'd be so much less stress. Fewer expats having heart attacks, strokes, nervous breakdowns, abusing alcohol, suffering from insomnia, eating disorders and anxiety from worrying about their next 90 day report, TM-30 report, bank letter, or visa renewal. Less stress equals less burden on Thailand's health care system.

What'd'ya say, Thailand?

"why, pray tell, have they required that retirees tie up 800K for 5 months and 400,000 baht permanently on a year round basis?"

Because if you are a single gent and die in Thailand, there is a bigger bonus pot for the generals to divvy up. No one will be the wiser.

I am concerned for all the people aged 65-70 or more who are going to find it difficult if not impossible to get insured.  I agree the idea is sound but the government should either provide or commission a policy which accepts any age (and pre-existing conditions for additional premium)

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The insurance policy must offer up to Bt40,000 coverage for outpatient treatment and up to Bt400,000 for inpatient treatment. 

An interesting sentence, presumably badly translated from the Thai.

Taken literally, 1฿ of cover should suffice. I guess they mean 'a minimum of'???

Just now, gbswales said:

I am concerned for all the people aged 65-70 or more who are going to find it difficult if not impossible to get insured.  I agree the idea is sound but the government should either provide or commission a policy which accepts any age (and pre-existing conditions for additional premium)

As if they will do that, they couldn't give a fig for expats. They will squeeze as much as is humanly possible out of each victim person.

400000 is not exactly a high cover , highly unlikely will cost a fortune , even less if you chose a deductible.

for all those worried, maybe even look at accident insurance as payout amount required is very low.

my full health insurance cover has a payout of 50 or so million with premium of 55000 baht.

3 minutes ago, gbswales said:

Why should they provide a huge burden and major money losing service for old sick people who are not even from their country??

For who and for what?

12 minutes ago, dhind1 said:

I see no issue in having insurance to cover medical inpatient. Unfortunately, I do have an issue with the 40k outpatient. As has been noted - that will be expensive. I will have to check into how much this will be, but I assume it will add 30% or more to my premium.

I have health insurance from Bangkok Bank. It seems they noticed that I wasn't using the "outpatient" service very often (as I usually just pay cash for the once or twice a year I might actually go to the hospital).

They recommended I switch my Plan to the "B" option, same inpatient coverage, reduced outpatient coverage and 9,000 per year cheaper. Now I pay about 21,000 a year and I sure don't use 9,000 in outpatient service a year. Probably haven't used that much in 5 years total.

2 minutes ago, BestB said:

for all those worried, maybe even look at accident insurance as payout amount required is very low.

Interesting point. For those of us who are fit & healthy, accident insurance is in this country rather more relevant than health insurance.

As usual, the wunnerful Thai administration (I thought we were in between governments at this point?) has really thought thru every angle and got it all tied up.

35 minutes ago, justin case said:

so dumb f. tourists with half a brain come here with no insurance, rent a bike, get into an accident ... and it is the long stay people that will have to be forced into this crap ?

new government has shares in insurance companies ?

what the hell is the  400.000 / 800.000 baht for ?????

Have NEVER travelled without insurance,(limited term) however getting long term overseas policy over 65 years of age is expensive even without any pre-existing conditions

Australia does not have a reciprocal health insurance (Medicare) with Thailand

I have Pacific Cross which is 1.2 million cover but only has 10,000 OPD so have asked how much extra will it cost to increase OPD to 40,000bht if it's to expensive guess I will be leaving!!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I can see that as this thread is rapidly filling up with opinions another thread is going to be needed where only relevant facts on the new requirements can be posted.

Let this be the thread for rants and knee jerk responses , the other for useful information.

Otherwise we will have to wade through endless pages of bilge and emerge non the wiser.

21 minutes ago, Melbun said:

God almighty - all the bleaters and sooky babies moaning of what is right and proper. You must have health insurance in a foreign country. Stop moaning - accept it of go back to your former country.

this site is full of narcissistic psychopath with no care for others...

I was covered, till my wife wanted a divorce... (on her work / family insurance)

I paid for house, have family, have children that are not FREE to leave with me

live here 10+ years, but just have to stop moaning... nice

40k outpatient ? what the hell ...  I pay that out of pocket anyways as I did not even have that for the last 10 years

yes, everybody should have insurance

but what the crap, there was a post a few months ago

that a small ELITE of government workers stole about half of everything related to healthcare costs (reselling medication, unneeded visits for a broken nail..., 5 packs of medication with antibiotics for a sneeze)

what are the exact numbers ?  

is it 30 day tourists ?   prove it with numbers

is it really long stay "tourists" (expats are long stay tourists, nothing more)

some high up must have connections with insurance companies

forcing these strange rules

we follow the rules, the 400 / 800k   and for what in return ?

the right to spend your money, till you run out and then its deportation ? bye bye

I am actually surprised it has taken the government so long to demand that farang have insurance.

Wonder what will happen to those married with children, can they join the national scheme??

1 hour ago, alfalfa19 said:

does medicare parts a and b work in thailand, does anyone know?

no and it should, huge savings for the  U.S., let's hope that one of the Democratic candidates propose this.  i think other countries offer this to their expats.  btw, the way expats is a misnomer.  i consider myself a patriot.  i am saving the American health care system lots of money.

Let's just wait and see shall we, before we get involved in hypothesis. No start date has been given, and many details need to be published before any decisions can be made or informed discussion. It may all have been forgotten in a year's time. Stay calm and wait!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Archived