Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

webfact

wow, it really seems like they are trying to push the old Westerners out of here. First it was an increase in the amount of money in the bank, money you cannot touch essentially, and now mandatory health insurance with a set amount in terms of coverage. There is also the identity scanners they hope to put in immigration, as well as those tracking bracelets they dreamt about lol - looking forward to seeing what happens next month

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, gbswales said:

I am concerned for all the people aged 65-70 or more who are going to find it difficult if not impossible to get insured.  I agree the idea is sound but the government should either provide or commission a policy which accepts any age (and pre-existing conditions for additional premium)

Already done.. Virayah will cover you up to 100 years of age... Personally I have the money to cover my own medical costs. I was in ICU in Australia on a previous trip which cost me B1 Million. BUPA and Thai Insurance companies would only have reimbursed me B85,000 because of the limits and small print in their policy even though it was sold as a     B3 Million coverage policy.

5 minutes ago, justin case said:

this site is full of narcissistic psychopath with no care for others...

I was covered, till my wife wanted a divorce... (on her work / family insurance)

I paid for house, have family, have children that are not FREE to leave with me

live here 10+ years, but just have to stop moaning... nice

40k outpatient ? what the hell ...  I pay that out of pocket anyways as I did not even have that for the last 10 years

yes, everybody should have insurance

but what the crap, there was a post a few months ago

that a small ELITE of government workers stole about half of everything related to healthcare costs (reselling medication, unneeded visits for a broken nail..., 5 packs of medication with antibiotics for a sneeze)

what are the exact numbers ?  

is it 30 day tourists ?   prove it with numbers

is it really long stay "tourists" (expats are long stay tourists, nothing more)

some high up must have connections with insurance companies

forcing these strange rules

we follow the rules, the 400 / 800k   and for what in return ?

the right to spend your money, till you run out and then its deportation ? bye bye

Look Mr Anti narcissists - YOU chose to live in a foreign country out of your own volition. These are the laws you have to abide by - like it or nor.

2 minutes ago, Farang99 said:

No company will issue insurance for anyone over 75. Does this mean we are all going to have to leave?

It is quite possible.

Old people are a big financial burden.

Sorry, but it is true.

So, it seems many will have to seek an alternative.

Maybe Vietnam or Cambodia do not care about the burden or those who do not pay their bills?

3 minutes ago, Farang99 said:

No company will issue insurance for anyone over 75. Does this mean we are all going to have to leave?

Yes - If you are of sound mind. No insurance - no right to live there. They are the rules mate.

49 minutes ago, Lingba said:

No...and it may be a while..as it will probably take them 5 years to figure out how to implement all the details as well as try and figure out how they can put into play how to extract more money under the table out of foreigners...then there is the inconsistency that already exists in how rules are interpreted from one immigration office to the next...No two offices in Thailand exercise the rules the same way

I admire your logic, but as this is Thailand, they will more than likely roll this out within the next few months, then sit back, take the money, and iron out any wrinkles as they come up. Immigration offices will interpret the rules in their own way, as they do now, to glean thousands under the table. Insurance companies will hurriedly implement a two tier pricing system, one just for foreigners, with the inevitable rate hike to go with it. 

I can see the logic, and agree with the need for long term stayers to have some sort of medical cover. To that end if the Government were serious about simply sorting out coverage they could put up a system similar to the Thai medical insurance to cover expats, with a nominal annual fee. However, this new requirement will not be about medical coverage, it is just another money making scheme to harvest funds.

Several members have already posted links to insurance companies, many thanks to those, but the cynic in me can see a huge jump in premiums in the very near future compared to what is on the paper now.

You want to talk about medical cost burden on hospitals, the government and society, just look at what's required for automobile liability insurance. The minimum, which is all most people carry, is 80,000 baht for injury and 300,000 baht for death. Who does the Thai government think is picking up the tab for injuries in excess of these amounts? The government, and government hospitals, that's who. And yet the government makes a small number of foreigners with unpaid medical bills the focus, while next to nothing is done to improve road safety or raise woefully inadequate minimum automobile insurance requirements. Misplaced priorities, me thinks.

4 minutes ago, MellowYellow101 said:

wow, it really seems like they are trying to push the old Westerners out of here. First it was an increase in the amount of money in the bank, money you cannot touch essentially, and now mandatory health insurance with a set amount in terms of coverage. There is also the identity scanners they hope to put in immigration, as well as those tracking bracelets they dreamt about lol - looking forward to seeing what happens next month

I don't know any foreigners with an O-A VISA so the thread is irrelevant.

5 minutes ago, Farang99 said:

Lots of companies do over 75, its just more expensive, one of them does up to 100 years old.

36 minutes ago, Melbun said:

God almighty - all the bleaters and sooky babies moaning of what is right and proper. You must have health insurance in a foreign country. Stop moaning - accept it of go back to your former country.

If your aiming that negativity towards me, you should go back and read the post I was replying to and my reply.  I guess comprehension isn't your strong point.

19 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Why should they provide a huge burden and major money losing service for old sick people who are not even from their country??

For who and for what?

Where have you seen free medical care for expats here? Every time you go to see a doctor or to the hospital, you pay cold hard cash. If anything it helps the economy. I've paid many thousands into it myself 

41 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Ask your fellow expat low lifes who have not been paying their hospital bills...

Then perhaps they are the ones that should be forced to have mandatory medical insurance. 

No?

Just now, MellowYellow101 said:

Where have you seen free medical care for expats here? Every time you go to see a doctor or to the hospital, you pay cold hard cash. If anything it helps the economy. I've paid many thousands into it myself 

I was in the government hospital yesterday, saw the doctor, saw the nurses, minor treatment, given meds to take home.

Took a while, was there 5hrs, total bill 77bht.

37 minutes ago, sumrit said:

You obviously either don't come from the UK or, if you do, have never ever worked there and paid taxes in your entire life!!

As a long term retiree living in Thailand, I am still paying income tax to the UK via my pensions and a portion of that goes towards the cost of the NHS.  I'm still paying for the NHS and I haven't even lived there for fifteen years. And, should I go back to visit and need medical help they will charge me 150% of the cost of the treatment I receive.

Just a quick question, what are the laws / rules on the NHS not being 'free' to UK citizens after having left the UK for a set amount of time? 

16 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

I am actually surprised it has taken the government so long to demand that farang have insurance.

Wonder what will happen to those married with children, can they join the national scheme??

I wouldn't bet on that.

And as for the cost. Well that's a little complicated.

Now I'm going to exclude those Brits from the conversation who have their pseudo religious NHS.

But when we lived full time in Thailand both me and my wife had the then BUPA.

We didn't take the outpatient option, and it excluded anything regarding my wife's reproductive system, since years ago she had surgery for a ruptured fallopian cyst.

The total cost for the two of us was ฿125k ~$4k, this was for their ฿5M policy, which regardless of what people say is what you need if you intend to be treated in private hospitals, rather that the quack shops in Nakhorn Backofbeyond,

This was back in 2016, the last full year we were in Thailand full time

So fast forward to 2019, here we are in the US, and through my wife's work both of us are covered, for inpatient, outpatient and prescription drugs, with no exclusions for pre existing conditions and we pay $7K. Plus Blue Cross covers us when we travel to Thailand for a couple of months a year!

Thats where the calculation starts to get a bit iffy if they don't offer some Government scheme for married farangs. 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

This is one of the measures the government has introduced to ease the financial burden placed on state hospitals by foreigners, many of whom have not paid for treatment. 

Ok that's fine but what about the burden on state hospitals that is as a result of the continued carnage on Thai roads and the escalating violence in Thai society. Surely that is a bigger burden than a few farang who don't pay their way. Yet another nail in the coffin for farang and downright xenophobia from the Thai Government.

4 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

So one will have to show something in advance when first getting the visa and later when applying for the extension.

I thought we've gone over this already. Even Ubonjoe has said it hasn't he? The health insurance in the news article does not mention extensions - just visas and visa renewals!?

>According to Nattawuth, the new rule applies to both new applicants for the non-immigrant visa (O-A), which offers a stay of up to one year, and those wishing to renew their visa. 

".......or if they wish to use health insurance that they bought overseas, they must ensure that the coverage amount is no less than what is required by the rule. "

I actually take my hat off to them as I did not think they would accept overseas insurance - they have pleasantly surprised me and all my previous posts saying I did not think thye would allow overseas insurance were wrong. I stand corrected.

Some more information would be great, when does it start, does it include marrige extensions (it appears not in the OP).

I predict some very creative insurance policies, 400k coverage for 1,000 baht with a 399k deductible.

Just a quick question, what are the laws / rules on the NHS not being 'free' to UK citizens after having left the UK for a set amount of time? 
If you have left the UK you are not eligible for NHS if you return to the UK and become resident you get NHS straight away, that's what I read.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Don't tell them you've been away and it's free.

The immigration computer will tell them when you left and when you returned. Sorry can't get away with it that easily.

6 minutes ago, malibukid said:

the American government should step up to the plate and extend Medicare coverage to it's citizens abroad.  but as usual they will just throw us under the bus.  thanks to the Republicans. 

That's never going to happen.  They can't even control medicare fraud in the US, could you imagine what would happen in the Land of Scams.

41 minutes ago, chrissables said:

Why the insult? Do you know me? Low life? What a fool you are. 

I don't know anyone who has not payed for medical procedures. I know plenty who have paid and been given third rate treatment. Myself included. Also very good treatment.

i always pay cash here. just another money grab after the banks.

Archived