Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

webfact

Just now, jlwilliamsjr18 said:

This is good for insurance companies, but for people over 65, it's not.  The funds needed 400-800 K is for that purpose.  Why double up.  NOW... it's important to note, equity has to play a role. There are schools and businesses that provide work permits, with no health insurance benefits. This is a fact. How many foreign laborers have health insurance?  Actually quite a few. They fall under the Thai national health insurance.  Why not offer that option to long stay retirees. Of course those who have the resources can pick other options. 

+ 1

Insurance companies are wetting there knickers today.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

I see  the 1 million in the bank requirement, just round the corner .

How much for the house, cash only, 

Am I reading you correct - the love affair is over living full time there ????

4 minutes ago, Lingba said:

No...and it may be a while..as it will probably take them 5 years to figure out how to implement all the details as well as try and figure out how they can put into play how to extract more money under the table out of foreigners...then there is the inconsistency that already exists in how rules are interpreted from one immigration office to the next...No two offices in Thailand exercise the rules the same way

That seems overly optimistic. 

15 minutes ago, Melbun said:

It's stupid NOT to have health insurance when living in a foreign country long term. This is a great move by the Thai's. Maybe also the premiums can be taken out of the bank accounts of farang long term residents on a yearly basis. Hmmm more farangs going back home to free nhs system I'd say. Rapidly getting to the point where the night nightlife and all the temple visiting ain't worth the hassle / hustle of staying full time. Many will revert to 4 (yearly) visits instead. Makes sense. Best of both worlds.

Foolish and ignorant statement.

Insurance is a business, they make money and nobody should be forced to pay into a fund who will most likely (in my case) not pay out due to existing conditions.

The NHS is not free! Far from it, you pay in all your working life!

What have bars /  temples got to do with insurance?

5 hours ago, rodknock said:

i am 71 and a couple of quotes were 80,000 to 94,000baht.

this on top of my monthly 65,000baht for immigration

i guess i am <deleted>!!

Go back home - come back as a visitor 4 X a year.

If medical self-insurance translates to higher financial deposit requirements, are visa agents now going to get into the "self-insurance" business as well? No doubt.

Just looks like more opportunity for corruption to me. Insurers selling overpriced policies to people forced to buy them, or visa agents gouging foreigners and immigration officers taking bribes to circumvent these regulations.

If Thailand's so worried about getting stuck with unpaid medical bills from foreigners, why, pray tell, have they required that retirees tie up 800K for 5 months and 400,000 baht permanently on a year round basis? Money which could be used in a medical emergency? And if Thailand's so worried about getting stuck with unpaid medical bills from foreigners, why didn't they consider allowing foreigners to buy into the national health care system? Especially, foreigners who have Thai family here?

And how about simplifying immigration requirements, Thailand? There'd be so much less stress. Fewer expats having heart attacks, strokes, nervous breakdowns, abusing alcohol, suffering from insomnia, eating disorders and anxiety from worrying about their next 90 day report, TM-30 report, bank letter, or visa renewal. Less stress equals less burden on Thailand's health care system.

What'd'ya say, Thailand?

1 minute ago, Gecko123 said:

If medical self-insurance translates to higher financial deposit requirements, are visa agents now going to get into the "self-insurance" business as well? No doubt.

Just looks like more opportunity for corruption to me. Insurers selling overpriced policies to people forced to buy them, or visa agents gouging foreigners and immigration officers taking bribes to circumvent these regulations.

If Thailand's so worried about getting stuck with unpaid medical bills from foreigners, why, pray tell, have they required that retirees tie up 800K for 5 months and 400,000 baht permanently on a year round basis? Money which could be used in a medical emergency? And if Thailand's so worried about getting stuck with unpaid medical bills from foreigners, why didn't they consider allowing foreigners to buy into the national health care system? Especially, foreigners who have Thai family here?

And how about simplifying immigration requirements, Thailand? There'd be so much less stress. Fewer expats having heart attacks, strokes, nervous breakdowns, abusing alcohol, suffering from insomnia, eating disorders and anxiety from worrying about their next 90 day report, TM-30 report, bank letter, or visa renewal. Less stress equals less burden on Thailand's health care system.

What'd'ya say, Thailand?

Read between the lines, 40 billion dollars left the country in cash last year in one transaction. 

3 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Can't imagine it's much fun for a 71 year old to have to travel like that 4 times a year.

24 hours each way and a load of hassle on planes, trains and automobiles.

Well stay at home (wherever that was) and don't travel. You make the choice.

2 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

What'd'ya say, Thailand?

Geez seriously??

Kind of pushing things isn´t it?

This thread will go on for many pages with 99% of the attacks on the Government, ins. companies and immigration.

Very naive and not real.

The fact is this had been talked about for several years do to the irresponsible, low life expats who do not pay their hospital bills.  That is the truth but all the BS will continue....

25 minutes ago, Melbun said:

It's stupid NOT to have health insurance when living in a foreign country long term. This is a great move by the Thai's. Maybe also the premiums can be taken out of the bank accounts of farang long term residents on a yearly basis. Hmmm more farangs going back home to free nhs system I'd say. Rapidly getting to the point where the night nightlife and all the temple visiting ain't worth the hassle / hustle of staying full time. Many will revert to 4 (yearly) visits instead. Makes sense. Best of both worlds.

Sure , you can take out the premium, as long as it doesn't interfere with the 800k/5/6 months, or your balance go beyond 400k.

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

The mandatory insurance requirement only requires a 400,000 policy limit. I am assuming self-insurance would only need to match this limit.

..and how about the uninsured, 4-week tourist who is knocked off his motorbike and in hospital for weeks??

2 minutes ago, Melbun said:

It is not foolish or ignorant. Every other country expects you to pay your way and not be a drain on their resources. And as for the baloney "NHS is not free.... " that's absolute tripe.

So, you are living  in Thailand for the love of the people are you ?? BS. Yeh - that's a joke.

Not many people get away without paying . They would nail you to the bed if needed be. 

Only people who die with nothing leave a big fat bill.

I knew a guy who died, long story short, he owed 500k due to his ex gf moving him from govt to private while he was in a coma.

The hospital were absolutely beside themselves. Umpteen meetings  and people getting fired. They didn't even cremate him, left him to rot in a temple until he was just bones.

2 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Geez seriously??

Kind of pushing things isn´t it?

This thread will go on for many pages with 99% of the attacks on the Government, ins. companies and immigration.

Very naive and not real.

The fact is this had been talked about for several years do to the irresponsible, low life expats who do not pay their hospital bills.  That is the truth but all the BS will continue....

It doesn't solve that problem. 

3 hours ago, gunderhill said:

So how many are going to be leaving now, what exactly s a NON O -A I have a visa which just states NON O married to a  Thai (no other letters  after it) been on it for 6  years.

Perhaps someone can clarify if  it  will  apply to me?

A non imm o-a multi entry visa is obtained via a Thai Embassy or Consulate in your home country and gotten be purchased in Thailand. You have an extension of stay based on marriage.

3 minutes ago, Melbun said:

Well stay at home (wherever that was) and don't travel. You make the choice.

I'm 42, no need for that thanks.

I have something called empathy for people who have built a life here and spent millions in the process. Most just want to live out their days here drama free

20 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

How are they going to interpret all those foreign insurance policies? Lots of work for the translators.....and maybe they'll demand a letter from your embassy stating you're fully insured?

If the embassy can't figure out a pension or ss document, what makes you think they will understand and guarantee a insurance policy?

1 hour ago, stanleycoin said:

Ah, Thailand spreading it's love a affection for it's foreigners spending loads of

money every year here. :bah:

40,000 outpatients !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :saai:

Old man,  we have had your money,  now get out.

Says foreigners spend ‘loads of money’, complains about spending money on insurance. Yep righto 

Just now, bkk6060 said:

I guess we will have to wait and see....

No you don't get my point. 

The amounts are low.

The outpatient requirement is BIZARRE. clearly for the insurance companies.

So you get a policy that excludes all preexisting conditions, most older people have multiple ones, you pay your money, and then you're not really covered.

DUH. 

55 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Has anyone obtained health insurance within Thailand? If so, did you have to provide your medical records from your home country or was a medical examination required by the insurer prior to the policy commencing?

I have had AIA insurance here before they just take you too a designated hospital you have a check up they sign a certificate to say all is good that's about it.

Archived