Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

webfact

1 minute ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

That's why it pays to get health insurance when you are younger. It was obvious that this would happen sooner, or later.

I'm with Pacific Cross. Due to my keeping the no claims bonus, I now pay 56k per annum for 50 million baht coverage and I'll be 61 this year.

This is cheaper than what they are offering for the 400k coverage. Yes, they are pretty ruthless when it comes to pre-existing conditions, but, then what do you expect? They're a for-profit company as are all insurance companies.

Pay for private health insurance for 20 years without a claim and they are still going to charge like wounded bulls once you're past 70. Rather have all those premiums in the bank to help cover old age medical treatment.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

The next nail in the coffin for people who're already standing at the edge of a cliff in a country, not too long ago also called The Land of Smiles.

A 60-year-old with multiple problems will have considerable difficulties in finding a suitable and affordable company.

Our currencies are down, many don't have enough to apply for a retirement visa and that after many of us have spent their life savings, bought houses and land, cars and buffaloes, support(ed) whole families and help(ed) them to live a better life.

And now, there's another financial burden that many can't fulfill.

Congratulations, Mr. Longnose Pinochio! 

If this brings you to the edge of a cliff, then, you don't really have enough to retire in this country. Sorry for stating the obvious.

If an insurance policy is going to do you in, then even without it, the cost of living will do you in a bit further down the road.

19 minutes ago, thelovedone said:

My visa is a Non O retirement visa.

I also have a Social Security Office health care card for free treatment in the Thaii hospital system. Curious if people in my position will now  be required to have additional insurance?

I'm still working but like you I have a SS Health card. A Thai lady told me the cover depends on how much you put in every month. I don't think mine will reach 400,000 baht! 40,000 perhaps.

HEALTH insurance has been made mandatory for foreigners aged 50 years and above seeking long-term stay in Thailand.

Long term is defined as what is. We would be seeking a new extension for long term and would thus need the insurance rip off bend over and take the 12 inches policy. If your grunt the more they like it..

Just now, giddyup said:

Pay for private health insurance for 20 years without a claim and they are still going to charge like wounded bulls once you're past 70. Rather have all those premiums in the bank to help cover old age medical treatment.

I've been with them three years and the policy started at 80k plus. So, it has gone down by nearly 30k in just three years. I do have a 100k deductible, though.

Just now, Joe Mcseismic said:

I've been with them three years and the policy started at 80k plus. So, it has gone down by nearly 30k in just three years. I do have a 100k deductible, though.

How old are you now?

6 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Wow! There're people on this board who will need to spend 80k upwards for a product that only half covers them. Thailand is no place to be an old expat.

Just take any insurance who bring you in line with  the requirements for the supposed 400K + outpatient 

All you need to become o.k. for ret. ext application .????

Real complete medical covering is financially unsustainable …. example the Driver Schumacher coma case , the 3 millions or even 5 millions baht cover by some recommended  would not be sufficient 

Only a gov. can pay for you endless (almost.. )

4 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

That's why it pays to get health insurance when you are younger. It was obvious that this would happen sooner, or later.

I'm with Pacific Cross. Due to my keeping the no claims bonus, I now pay 56k per annum for 50 million baht coverage and I'll be 61 this year.

This is cheaper than what they are offering for the 400k coverage. Yes, they are pretty ruthless when it comes to pre-existing conditions, but, then what do you expect? They're a for-profit company as are all insurance companies.

For sure it pays the Insurer if you buy when younger and with low risk. Then as you age and your risk goes up they escalate premiums regardless of no claims. Mine was increased by a factor of 3 on renewal by Cigna solely based on my increased age. Faced with such steep increases, people who think they are healthy, dont renew, leaving the insurer with a pool of unhealthy clients! Then their view of the risks of older people become a self fulfilling prophecy.

I don't know if many expats with families know that foreign or farang women married to Thai men are not under the same financial requirement as those of us who have Thai wives.  

Now - how is this going to play of for all the women married to Thai men.  How many Thai men can afford to pay the health insurance costs for their aging farang pretty?  When up until she is 40?  Up until she is 50?  How about 60?  I know, how about when grandma is 70 and her monthly premium for health care are more than hubby makes in a year?  

Watch for a different set of rules to be legislated for Thai men with foreign wives, as foreign men with Thai wives are force out of the county.  
This is a patriarchal society, but foreigner men be damned.

11 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Considering this "new rule" was apparently approved by the Cabinet on 2 April, it seems odd that we are just hearing about it now (6 weeks later) and they don't even say when the new rule takes effect.

Does this require a new "Police Order" to become effective like the last change did ?

I had exactly the same thoughts and questions...

I don't really understand how the "government" works here in terms of secrecy vs disclosure.... But apparently, they can vote and act on things, and the only way anyone finds out about them if if someone from the government comes out and decides to publicly say what they did in private, or it ends up showing up in the TH language only Royal Gazette at some point depending on the topic.

Presumably, this was why the rumors of a coming health insurance requirement were flying hot and heavy these past two months.... In fact, the Cabinet had already acted on it back at the beginning of April, but apparently no public disclosure of the action was made until now.

And right, no mention whatsoever of an implementation date -- which presumably is because Immigration and MFA will have to figure out just how exactly they're going to implement this in their respective areas (O-A visas and retirement extensions). Note: I'm assuming it's going to end up applying at least to retirement extensions, even though the articles aren't clear on that detail).

The devil will be in the details and how it is applied.  The Thai Insurance Policies listed will allow a person over the age of 70 to get insurance.  The cost is around 100,000 Baht per year and the exclusions will be many.

IMO- the insurance company will be interested in oily 2 things- excluding as much as possible and collecting the premium.  For 100K- we will get a letter to present to Thai Imm indicating coverage in the amounts required exist.  I seriously doubt Thai imm will care about deductibles/ exclusions etc.

In my opinion- there has been a complete lack of any co-ordination between Thai Imm and the  Ministry of Health on this issue.  The premium of the Insurance should be deducted from the 800K one is required to  place in a bank and keep there for several months or at the very least- there should now be no requirement to have to keep any amount in the bank other than the 2 month seasoning period- After that use the money as was intended originally for living expense and that includes paying for your insurance.

The website for long stay shows that  mostly everyone can buy Insurance but the policy coverage is too little for the amount charged and the addition of out patient coverage simply drives the rate up.  Every retiree here can afford the outpatient charges- no insurance needed.  It is the in patient catastrophic coverage that is needed.  

It would be so easy for all- the retried; the aged; Thai Hospitals and the Thai Government to simply  offer the Thai Social Security Co verge for medical with the appropriate premium. It would strengthen the system; assure payment to the hospital and provide needed coverage. Private hospitals could join the system  or refer any patient presenting to the Government hospital after stabilization.

The Immigration Department and the rest of us are still struggling with the revised rules for  extending stays.  I would hope that if this insurance scheme is adopted that  the powers that be  Immigration/Ministry of Health/Ministry of Foreign Affairs sit down and  work out every detail and every scenario before actually putting this into place.  Otherwise- we are going to have the same crap we currently see with Immigration.

23 minutes ago, david555 said:

No nickers in a knot …,but why you not open eyes when reading...? :biggrin:   

or “permits-to-stay”.

Get into context that the statement was given by a Health Department civil servant, not a member of the Government, and certainly not an expert or seemingly knowledgeable on Immigration rules.   His notice is not an official one, that will come in the form of a Police Order.

Well I went ahead first thing this morning and bought myself a fully comprehensive health plan from Terdsak's Health Insurance Hub, Spa and Massage Garage on soi 6a, Pattaya. For 1500 Baht plus 20 B premium to reduce excess to 5m Baht, I'm cover for the year. I am ninety-seven and in perfect health.

Hey everybody,  we're all going to be ok.   I just found out that the folks enforcing the speed limits and drunk driving laws are the same ones that will be doing the follow up on the insurance stuff.  

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I had exactly the same thoughts and questions...

I don't really understand how the "government" works here in terms of secrecy vs disclosure.... But apparently, they can vote and act on things, and the only way anyone finds out about them if if someone from the government comes out and decides to publicly say what they did in private, or it ends up showing up in the TH language only Royal Gazette at some point depending on the topic.

Presumably, this was why the rumors of a coming health insurance requirement were flying hot and heavy these past two months.... In fact, the Cabinet had already acted on it back at the beginning of April, but apparently no public disclosure of the action was made until now.

Yep, and Thai government has chosen a direction who shall go further and further , so just keep your plans aligned with their hostility to us westerners ….land of smiles becomes more & more land of grins 

7 minutes ago, pagallim said:

Get into context that the statement was given by a Health Department civil servant, not a member of the Government, and certainly not an expert or seemingly knowledgeable on Immigration rules.   His notice is not an official one, that will come in the form of a Police Order.

How you think the Immigr. police go read and applicate it you think ….?

But you are right , it will be stated in a new extension from police order how it shall be required ….. and how it can benefit them personally...

4 minutes ago, david555 said:

Yep, and Thai government has chosen a direction who shall go further and further , so just keep your plans aligned with their hostility to us westerners ….land of smiles becomes more & more land of grins 

It's still LOS....Land of Smirks!

34 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

To put this announcement into some sort of context.

The O-X 10 year visa already has a compulsory insurance requirement, when it was announced most existing policies didn't suit the requirement.

In response to the new insurance requirements, insurance companies made new policies to meet the requirements. The new policies are listed here https://longstay.tgia.org.

The same link appears on Thai embassy websites under the O-X information. (the place you get the visa from)

When the OX visa and insurance requirements were announced it applied to only OX visa, not to all longstay visa's.

(the same as this thread, many took it to apply to all longstays)

The OP is an announcement for insurance to now apply to OA visa, and it appears only OA visa's.

As with the OX visa, insurance companies will probably draft up new policies to suit the OA insurance requirements, they will probably appear on the same website https://longstay.tgia.org, and the website will be listed on Thai embassy websites. (the place you get the OA visa from)

A key difference between OX and the new rules is that the OX does not allow for foreign insurance.  The new system does.

400K coverage?? Ridiculous amount these days. My cancer treatment at the moment costs 380K every 2 weeks. A recent emergency surgery to remove a tumor  cost 1.2 Mio total. A ww approved latest generation immune therapy will set you back 400 to 800K a month. This is mainly medication cost. Doubt a Public Hospital would have them on offer cheaper? 

Overall a good move to make people get at least some kind of insurance. But ending up in a public ward might be a bit of a culture shock, trust me. I will stay with my private hospital. Self insure? You better save well and lots... MS>

What a sh!tfi!ght this visa extension has evolved into, tacking on mostly vague but PITA requirements as afterthoughts, endless copies, and draconian minutia, like using only blue ink (to sign copies they don't need, if they just organized it better). ????

Just accept expats into the 'resident taxpaying' fold, like any other migrant, in any other nation, and be done with it.

It's not quantum physics, so why MAKE it hard?

46 minutes ago, ginjag said:

NOT mentioned,  pre existing conditions, so if there are some, does this mean you are paying 133,373 for nothing ??  it only covers for things than may not be a problem.

You are right. Almost any insurance will not cover pre existing conditions. It was just a link to show its possibly to get insurance even if you old. Personally, i cant live fulltime in Thailand any more, and need a insurance from a company, in my home country to cover me, wish is cheaper and cover unlimited. They just need you has to be stable for 3 months for pre existing conditions

Read into it what you like, I see ALL long stayers having to have insurance.
Then why refer to OA visas? OX visas require health insurance and now they plan to apply this to OA visas. That is all. The rest is just speculation.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Forgive me if I'm wrong here but if long term staying foreigners have 400k or 800k in the bank (or say same free on a credit card), why will they need to pay for health insurance ? Surely that amount would cover any substantial hospital bill. The fact that you may have to either leave the country after your treatment as you no longer have sufficient to cover the bank deposit required for future extensions after should be irrelevant ! Further more, I would say that there is probably just as much chance of a tourist getting ill whilst in Thailand as a long term stayer ! (And by that I mean as a Uk national I would simply get on a flight to the UK and get medical treatment in uk - for long term health issues, cancer etc - otherwise they are like accidents that can befall anyone)

Personally, if this gets the nod and silly prices are quoted, I'll just visit the wife and kids 5 months a year or so or sell my house and move away from my well off uk town to bring the wife and kid to some nice northern uk town, which seems to be becoming more attractive as time goes on.

Can help but laugh that there were probably many people laughing that poorer retired people had to go back as they could not meet 65k a month or 800,000, but now as being old find themselves in the same boat as having to leave as their insurance quotes would push them themselves into poverty !

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Then why refer to OA visas? OX visas require health insurance and now they plan to apply this to OA visas. That is all. The rest is just speculation.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

and extension on stay

23 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

IMO- the insurance company will be interested in oily 2 things- excluding as much as possible and collecting the premium.  For 100K- we will get a letter to present to Thai Imm indicating coverage in the amounts required exist.  I seriously doubt Thai imm will care about deductibles/ exclusions etc.

So the price for the "privilege' to live in Thailand becomes 1,00,000 THB every ten years - cost of an elite visa - we're being harvested.

Get old enough that becomes 2,000,000 THB every ten years - as we are harvested.

Archived