Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

webfact

We all new this was coming....here it is...one more hoop to jump, the bar is raised yet again.  Some of us just can't make it, or won't anymore....I am about ready to tap out in search of other countries. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Lee man said:

Will this new rule on Insurance Apply on a short term 30 day stay..?

No, not yet , maybe their next idea if this one looks profitable ...

I have just been on to my agent at Pacific Cross regards renewal and the new 40,000 baht outpatient cover.

He has told me to hang fire as NOTHING HAS YET BEEN FINALIZED regards this government statement.

To comment to those who state that they are financially well-off and can self-fund any medical costs - this statement doesn't seem to allow for that option.  You need to have a suitable insurance policy, even if you're able to self-fund.

8 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

This is the end.. ... 

When I see long time posters coming to the same conclusion as myself?

Yep.  The Mrs and I have been having a heart-to-heart.  She does not like what she is hearing.  
In her mind, me having to pay Thai insurance companies outrageous premiers for virtually no coverage - just for the privilege of living in Thailand is A-Ok.  

In my mind, and I reminded her, any money I have to siphon off that I use to support us, and instead give to a Thai company for the privilege of staying in Thailand is money that is not used to support the family. 
Then I offered examples of her constant desire for "more stuff" and "more additions" to the property, more stuff for her child <my stepson>, and more stuff for the family <funded by me>. 
And the constant desire for "more things" keeps me from saving and sometime creates a situation where I'm living pay check to pay check to keep her living in the manner she wishes to live. 
I've already have told her the the last improvements she wanted to the property will be completed and funded by me - but now will end as I 'circle the wagons' <I used a different term with her> in preparation for me to establish residency in a country which is affordable if the Thai government goes down this path in complete disregard to foreign men supporting Thai families.  So - already this move by the Thai government has had an effect - and a negative one.  

*** The ATM is now offline!

Honestly - what would she rather have?
Me sending a fraction of the support I give her now from a different county; or 
Me staying in Thailand and giving the money I'd give her as well as the money I use to support us and my family to a Thai insurance company that has been 'anointed' by the Thai government? 
Then ask yourselves: why can Thai companies offer these high price/ low payout policies in the first place?  
Think about it.
Then ask yourself again: why can't the Thai government offer Universal Healthcare in government hospitals for an affordable price to those of us with Thai families.  And as I posted before, what about Thai men with foreign wives?  These Thai guy will need to pony up the same premiums as their spouses age as we expats caring for Thai wives and families do. Watch!  Watch as they make different rules for foreign women married to Thai men if not simply offering them Thai citizenship - as men like myself are forced out of the county and my wife and family be damned?  

And she again asked me: "What can the US government do to force the Thai government to change their plans. 

I just shook my head.  

So does this mean that short-stay foreigners under 50 without insurance are exempt? Young backpackers aren't known for having reserves of cash to pay for emergency medical services. How many of them skip out on medical bills while on holiday? Perhaps from an alcohol-fueled assault at a full-moon party or a drunken early morning  tip over the rails of a balcony in Phuket? Or from driving on the most dangerous roads in the world? Maybe short-stays should be required to show proof of insurance on arrival.  An insurance kiosk at the arrival area of Suvarnabumi might be considered. Get insurance first, then proceed to immigration for verification---required for entry. Why pick on just the over 50s on an O-A visa?

10 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

I have just been on to my agent at Pacific Cross regards renewal and the new 40,000 baht outpatient cover.

He has told me to hang fire as NOTHING HAS YET BEEN FINALIZED regards this government statement.

Meaning THEY don't know it yet (Pas.Cr.) as it was decided already in April …..Thai style you know :wink:

But I also send email warning to Axa (Belgium main office) about this to put outpatient available , or they risk to loose customers to any cheap Thai company as nobody like pay into 2 insurances

2 hours ago, flynn said:

Will this include extensions of stay ?

CA9123C9-200D-434F-810F-6B3F30B93509.jpeg

Good question, is it for people who ask a O-A visa for first time ? because " new requirement " doesn't include people who have the visa already 

Although this requirement seems to apply only to O-A visas, anyone who thinks that it will not be demanded by IOs for 'O' (retirement and marriage) extensions or first time applications is living in cloud-cuckoo land.....

I am here on a 3 month o visa and am married to a thai woman (since 2008 in the USA)   We've brought all of our info/ marriage license and fully transferrable marrage warranty, and done embassy paperwork attesting to us being hitched.   Is this going to impact those here on a marriage visa?

“The government has found that foreigners who are in their elder years staying on this type of visa have more health issues than other foreigners staying on other types of visas,’ Dr Nutthawut said.
Ah the brilliance of these idiots. So, a 60 yr old for example on a non-B has less health issues than a 60 yr old on a non-O. I tell you if you looked into an ear of these fools at the top you'll see right through.

16 minutes ago, connda said:

When I see long time posters coming to the same conclusion as myself?

Yep.  The Mrs and I have been having a heart-to-heart.  She does not like what she is hearing.  
In her mind, me having to pay Thai insurance companies outrageous premiers for virtually no coverage - just for the privilege of living in Thailand is A-Ok.  
In my mind, and I reminded her, any money I have to siphon off the money I use to support us to a Thai company for the privilege of staying in Thailand is money that is not used to support the family.  Then I offered examples of her constant desire for "more stuff" and "more additions" to the property, more stuff for her child <my stepson>, and more stuff for the family <funded by me>.  And the constant desire for "more things" keeps me from saving and sometime creates a situation where I'm living pay check to pay check to keep her living in the way she wishes to live.  I've already have told her the the last improvements she wanted to the property will be completed and funded by me - but now will end as I 'circle the wagons' <I used a different term with her> in preparation for me to establish residency in a country which is affordable.  So - already this move by the Thai government has an effect - and a negative one.  

The ATM is now offline!

Me staying in Thailand and giving the money I'd give her as well as the money I use to support us and my family to a Thai insurance company that has been 'anointed' by the Thai government? 
Then ask yourselves: why can Thai companies offer these high price/ low payout policies in the first place?  
Think about it.
Then ask yourself again: why can't the Thai government offer Universal Healthcare in government hospitals for an affordable price to those of us with Thai families.  And as I posted before, what about Thai men with foreign wives?  These Thai guy will need to pony up the same premiums as their spouses age as we expats caring for Thai wives and families. Watch!  Watch as they make different rules for foreign women married to Thai men if not simply offering them Thai citizenship - as men like myself are forced out of the county and my wife and family be damned?  

And she again asked me: "What can the US government do to force the Thai government to change their plans. 

I just shook my head.

Oh dear...........seems like you never learned the magic word (shakes head).

6 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Although this requirement seems to apply only to O-A visas, anyone who thinks that it will not be demanded by IOs for 'O' (retirement and marriage) extensions or first time applications is living in cloud-cuckoo land.....

Yeah OK when will this health ins cover be wanted by it doesn't say yet from what I'm reading.

I go IO 31st this month.

12 minutes ago, simon43 said:

To comment to those who state that they are financially well-off and can self-fund any medical costs - this statement doesn't seem to allow for that option.  You need to have a suitable insurance policy, even if you're able to self-fund.

Every one over 50 needs to pay their tribute to Thailand  by buying worthless heath insurance whether you need it or not.....You 800,000 freeloaders have not been paying a yearly tribute to Thailand....We can not allow you 800,000 freeloaders to continue to get a free ride.....Its time you you start paying for the privilege of living here like every one else... 

3 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

4 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

The ATM is now offline!

Think about it.

Sounds like your wife will need to take a part time job.

27 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i am paying Aetna Thailand (formally Bupa) 117,000 baht a year for platinum coverage at 63 no preexisting conditions, except Irritable Bargirl Syndrome. :cheesy:

i am sure i will need a letter just like the bank because showing them my Aetna card makes too much sense.

Good for you!  Now what price 73? Oops, does not compute......

Nobody is suggesting that someone of your age can't get health insurance. It's the 70 plus brigade who are really going to be affected.  Sit in Jomtien Immigration office for a morning and watch some really old guys with clear infirmities or illnesses being guided around by their 'carers'.  What chance for them come next renewal time? 

Lets break down the statement from the OP and the linked story.

"According to Nattawuth, the new rule applies to both new applicants for the non-immigrant visa (O-A), which offers a stay of up to one year, and those wishing to renew their visa. Each renewal is valid for one year."

the new rule applies to both, that would mean there are 2 things the rules apply to, one is new applicants for o-a visa (not new applicants for any other visa's). The second thing is those wishing to renew "their" visa, renewal of the same OA visa (not renewal of another visa, "their" visa infers ownership, the visa they got from being a new applicant)

which offers a stay of up to one year, we pretty much know he is talking about an OA here because a vanilla O, marrige O visa is for 90 days, not 1 year.

Renew/renewal is probably a poor choice of words but lets presume he means get another one, start again etc, he is still talking about a visa. 

He doesnt mention getting an extension of stay, long after your visa ran out.

Maybe it will turn out to be insurance for every longstay visa, education, volunteer, business, etc but for now it appears the guy is only talking about O-A visa and their renewal/reapply.

2 minutes ago, connda said:

So - why are you trolling me?

Not trolling......just an observation.

By the way, the magic word is.......No. Learn that word and happiness awaits in the Land of Smiles. Don't learn it and.....well, sounds like you know already.

41 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

So I Have a Non-Imm " O " Visa ( Based on Marriage ) so have to leave every 90 Days or Less,Obviously I DON'T have sufficient funds in the Bank,Plus How Can I Afford these RIDICULOUS Insurance Premiums,& Even If I Could just Who is going to insure me as I'm "Over 70 Years of Age " Over to the " Experts "

I'm in the same case as you are.

and I no longer wonder about existential questions;
I will see what the immigration officers tell me in a little over a month in my fifteenth extension.

18 minutes ago, simon43 said:

You MIGHT end up being right... But there's nothing in either of the OP articles that suggests they plan to extend this to marriage extensions...

And, as I pointed out earlier, they've already set a precedent for treating retirement and marriage extensions differently when they this past year enacted the new "gotta maintain your bank deposit year-round" rule for retirement extensions, but made no such change for marriage extensions based on bank deposits.

I guess we'll find out for sure when MFA and/or Immigration end up issuing implementation rules/procedures.

8 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah OK when will this health ins cover be wanted by it doesn't say yet from what I'm reading.

I go IO 31st this month.

I seriously doubt they'll get their administrative act together that fast... You're probably good for at least until your next renewal after this upcoming one.

32 minutes ago, connda said:

what about Thai men with foreign wives?  These Thai guy will need to pony up the same premiums as their spouses age as we expats caring for Thai wives and families do.

Actually they won't as the foreigner wives of Thai men can apply for citizenship after they marry, and hardly any hoops.

7 hours ago, Melbun said:

Look Mr Anti narcissists - YOU chose to live in a foreign country out of your own volition. These are the laws you have to abide by - like it or nor.

I'll bet you would be really popular at a Thaivisa member party. Maybe you could show us how your hospital insurance works.

29 minutes ago, NE1 said:

If the asking price is 400,000 baht cover .  Does not the 400,000/800,000 baht you need for an extension in your bank cover this ?

It is for living allowances etc. It does not stipulate that you cannot use it for medical bills .

Agree.

"Asked about foreigners who cannot buy health insurance because their health risks are considered too high, Nattawuth said relevant authorities might consider requiring them to have higher deposits in bank accounts so as to make sure that they have enough to live in Thailand".

The article is tabloid journalism. Written and edited to grab attention. (think UK Sun, Mirror, Daily Star). Authorities already have considered and have implemented requiring higher bank deposits via the new Police Order with which we are all becoming familiar.

It is no co-incidence that the figure of 400,000 Baht ‘in-patient’ cover for mandatory insurance is the same as the requirement to continuously maintain a minimum 400,000 Baht in a Thai bank. This is a form of security bond.

Falling below this bonded amount at any time whatsoever will forfeit your right to any future extensions of stay. Having this amount in a bank enables (government) hospitals to legally seek payment or even seek a garnishee order to enforce recovery of any outstanding hospital bills. Easily applied, as the debtor then has a choice: pay-up or visa cancelled. Leave.

Living expenses, quite separate from this bond, would be the difference between the 800,000 Baht for 2/3 months prior / post application for extension and 400,000 Baht. Dependent on lifestyle, may need augmenting by additional top-ups from other (overseas) sources.

It is quite probable that mandatory insurance is to be required for first time visa applications, but then for subsequent extensions of stay, perhaps, once clarified, will translate to either purchasing annual insurance with cover of 400,000 Baht, or where insurance is not possible, retaining the same amount bonded and certified as held in a Thai Bank. (The infamous bank letter).

Archived