Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

webfact

8 hours ago, Melbun said:

The immigration computer will tell them when you left and when you returned. Sorry can't get away with it that easily.

When we leave, the computer does not know where we are going to, well that used to be the case anyway. Maybe it's changed now.

2 minutes ago, david555 said:

That would be for next round up , as they only slowly start seeing all the extra options to make money now , so beware for future comings.... the ghost is out the bottle now 

Although the company that I work for will pay up for any extra costs, I think it's time to start applying for Thai citizenship. 

14 minutes ago, natway09 said:

still think it is a good idea, & the person who said what about a person who is refused insurance because of health ? My answer would be ,,, should they really be considering a long term stay in Thailand,,,,, NO

I don't see anyone being refused the insurance as long as they use one of the favored Thai Companies-  most of the applications ask the applicant to fill out their health questionnaire and require no medical. However- there is several types of illness that are considered pre-existing conditions.  Age 70-75 premiums run about on average 100K but to me that is alot for minimal coverage.  However- if push come to shove- I'll pay the 100K a year for worthless coverage along with  the 800K nonsense.    

There are better solutions than what they are proposing.  The sad things is that most Western countries do provide medical coverage for those over the age of 65- but these countries refuse to allow their citizens to use it overseas even though  I (as an American) have paid into the fund for 50 years and they refuse any refund. 

Healthcare is a human right and  many Governments have sold their souls to the Insurance industry; Big Pharma and For Profit Medical Centers.

Edited by Thaidream
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

What about the Thais who are living in western countries? What about the guys who have taken 

their Thai wives to stay in the UK? Are these Thai wives paying for their medical treatment?

Actually, in the US, even a Thai illegal can get treated for free. US law mandates that hospitals treat anyone with an emergency, including things like kidney dialysis. And nobody is allowed to ask about immigration status. All hospitals can do is send out bills asking for the money. They cannot require that it be paid. In fact, they cannot even make you pay if you come in for treatment AFTER you haven't paid for earlier treatments.

Edited by zydeco

8 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

How about letting things settle down and awaiting a bit of clarity before going into meltdown. 58 pages of conjecture already.

sky-is-falling.jpg

... and as we know the sky is the limit ...

Forgive my naivety but surely all those complying with the 800,000 lump sume requirement already have 400,000 available?  Given that at least 400,000 has to remain in your bank account throughout the year, what is this for?  It can't be for living expenses ot it would diminish. It would be interesting to hear Director-General Nattawuth Prasert-Siripong's views on what exactly, if not for emergency medical use, that 400,000 is for?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, malibukid said:

no and it should, huge savings for the  U.S., let's hope that one of the Democratic candidates propose this.  i think other countries offer this to their expats.  btw, the way expats is a misnomer.  i consider myself a patriot.  i am saving the American health care system lots of money.

Same for the UK pensioner living here in Thailand - their Government Old Age Pensions are "frozen" (i.e. no annual increments that they would receive if they lived in the UK or a country that had a "reciprocal" agreement e.g Philippines) plus no costs to the NHS for medical treatment.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Actually they won't as the foreigner wives of Thai men can apply for citizenship after they marry, and hardly any hoops.

Yeah, I know.  Exactly.

9 hours ago, masuk said:

..ae nd how about the uninsured, 4-week tourist who is knocked off his motorbike and in hospital for weeks??

the kids who come over here get on bikes with little or no prior riding experience and act like idiots.  a license issued in their home country that specifically states they are motorcycle rated is the only solution.  also they must buy local insurance at the time of rental.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

How about letting things settle down and awaiting a bit of clarity before going into meltdown. 58 pages of conjecture already.

sky-is-falling.jpg

Couldn't agree more. Read this in the morning when it was already 10 pages long, no way I'm gonna wade through 48 more. Other than the original announcement, and the link to the webpage listing the relevant insurance firms and plans, most commentary was useless.

It would be great if Mods could gather the informative bits (as they materialize) into a separate topic or something, so things would be more accessible. Someone probably posted that already - apologies is so.

9 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Not many people get away without paying . They would nail you to the bed if needed be. 

Only people who die with nothing leave a big fat bill.

I knew a guy who died, long story short, he owed 500k due to his ex gf moving him from govt to private while he was in a coma.

The hospital were absolutely beside themselves. Umpteen meetings  and people getting fired. They didn't even cremate him, left him to rot in a temple until he was just bones.

Jesus, get cremation insurance

19 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Probably from the other 99.9% of people that contribute to his income stream. Good thing that they're all Thai citizens, eh?

Thai citizens don't get ripped off the way expats and long stayers do.

10 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Actually, in the US, even a Thai illegal can get treated for free. US law mandates that hospitals treat anyone with an emergency, including things like kidney dialysis. And nobody is allowed to ask about immigration status. All hospitals can do is send out bills asking for the me. They cannot require that it be paid. In fact, they cannot even make you pay if you come in for treatment AFTER you haven't paid for earlier treatments.

That sounds more like the UK, and there was me paying for health insurance all these times I went on holiday to America.

14 minutes ago, pmarlin said:

just going to change from retirement to marriage extension next time. 

From "Retirement" to "Marriage" because of the 800/400000 ThB.

Now from "Retirement" to "Marriage" because of the insurance.

It would be crowded a the "Marriage Visa" desk.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, malibukid said:

Jesus, get cremation insurance

axa expat has 40 000 baht included for that or burial , or body to home country included for the 450€/year

Edited by david555

21 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

No company will issue insurance for anyone over 75. Does this mean we are all going to have to leave?

I'm fairly sure this has been pointed out already, but there are a bunch of companies on the link given in the OP, some of which will take new applicants up to age 80 and continue coverage to age 100 (and in some cases beyond, if I understand correctly).

Here's the link again, in case you missed it:

Long stay medical insurance

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jollyhangmon said:

... because longstayers are the easy targets/low hanging fruits - not that easy to `call it quits´ (as substitute for expression that would get this post deleted) for them as it is/would be if implemented for standard tourists who just don't come if feeling negatively affected in the first place ...

Nothing but a (prolonged) Bonanza for insurers & associated banksters ... where's the next solid tree, someone got a rope ...?! 

These Thai lot are amazing

.....  Why not just raise the cash requirements up my 40k.... even locked away and another 400k...on deposit... can't we all appeal against this??

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It is certainly possible to get regular health insurance coverage for Thailand even as folks get older, either from local Thai insurers or from international insurers.... Age 65 and beyond narrows your choices, but doesn't rule out coverage....

See the info that was posted earlier on this here:

Unfortunately you have missed the key words with are - "affordable insurance."  Of course insurers will insure you up until you are 120 years old - but you won't be able to afford it after 80.  

• Like 1