Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

webfact

15 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

I am sure, with the proficiency of English within the Thai immigration, this should not pose any problems ! ???? ???? ????

Most insurance policies are worded in such a way that the most proficient of Native English Speakers would find them at best ambiguous and often incomprehensible.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, connda said:

Long stay expats, especially those with family, are a 'captured audience' who can be milked and whose personal wealth can be harvested.  

What a load of rubbish.

It should be mandatory "worldwide" that long stayers or tourists have some form of hospital cover, no doubt a lot will disagree with my view and that's fine.

The question is, why should governments have to foot the bill, i.e. tax payers of that country.

It should be the responsibility of every individual to cover themselves and their families, if not, make it mandatory, I have no issue with it, and if others do, well they are entitled to their opinions.

Like I said earlier, I am covered and so is my family, this is not a troll, if you cannot get insured or cannot afford it, then that is a problem, but you cannot seriously expect the country you are a guest in to cover your hospital bills if you can't get insured or afford it.

It's a cruel world, sure, but there are a lot of Thai's that can use the money/facilities allocated in the system that goes on X-pats who use up their system by not paying for the services they have used, after all, they are not tax payers or citizens, so the government is well within its rights to protect it's system for its people and if you can't accept that, then that's "up to you" as they say here. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Sorry if someone has already posted this, but what i cannot understand is if long stay expats did not pay their hospital bill then why oh why did they not inform the police ?   as normally they would have seen some I D or another. And as we all know they can track us in theory every 24 hrs, if we are not at home ; and because of bureaucratic incompetence of different gov agencies unable to leaze with each other and nobody working together , even though they make us give them reams and reams of  paper work every year still cant manage to track them down without a little hand drawn map, hospital policy should include draw us a map to your house T I C .   Now the big question arises how many expats didn't pay or is that some sort of corruption going on in the hospitals.    ?????????????????

My Father worked in fleet st, newspaper offices when he was young ,as an officeboy boy runner for reporters "There's always an angle son" he was told.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JWRC said:

After wading through all the speculation on here, I see quite a few have asked when this will start and as far as I can tell, no one has answered that.

If there is not a start date then the article started by webfact is misleading in as much as it gives the impression this is a done deal.

I have had a very stressful day as a result of this misleading post and now going through some of the posts it appears that the requirement is not yet in place.

Perhaps our most intelligent of visa advisors namely Ubon Joe could shed some light on this, my personal situation is that my visa extension is due at the beginning of June and I would like to be prepared,

You may actually be better off, because the detail will take time to percolate through the bureaucracy. Once you get the extension, you should be bulletproof for the ensuing year.

What about those who live in Thailand only 6-7 months a year (as I have done for last 14 years) but are now on USA Medicare which offers no coverage overseas ? I’m already paying quite a bit for Medicare plus supplement plan in USA and will turn 70 a few months after I return to Bangkok in July. My supplement plan covers insurance for the first 2 months away and I have been buying travel insurance for the remainder of my Thai stays. I plan to apply for new O-A visa in a few weeks.

18 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

I've been an in patient two times in the last three years and both times completed my treatment before paying the bill.

After a cardiac arrest I was in the ICU a couple of days and it was only after 3 days that they politely asked my wife to make a first payment. The rest I paid when I was discharged some days later.

After wading through all the speculation on here, I see quite a few have asked when this will start and as far as I can tell, no one has answered that.
If there is not a start date then the article started by webfact is misleading in as much as it gives the impression this is a done deal.

I have had a very stressful day as a result of this misleading post and now going through some of the posts it appears that the requirement is not yet in place.

Perhaps our most intelligent of visa advisors namely Ubon Joe could shed some light on this, my personal situation is that my visa extension is due at the beginning of June and I would like to be prepared,
Nobody knows. You can't get blood out of a stone.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 minutes ago, jesimps said:
  33 minutes ago, Myome said:

Has anyone seen anything official about this? Wasn't the news clip from a health official, not immigration?

He has said that Cabinet has already approved it .Does the health service have a cabinet ??

Edited by brianthainess

4 minutes ago, nongsung said:

After a cardiac arrest I was in the ICU a couple of days and it was only after 3 days that they politely asked my wife to make a first payment. The rest I paid when I was discharged some days later.

I had to give 10,000 up front, unused fund were returned.

1 hour ago, carstenp said:

Well last time they was correct, so my opinion is they are absolutely trustworthy, speciel with the laws down here about fake news

They were wrong about the income letter, saying it was "all" embassies, wrong about the new 800k, saying it was 800k all year in the bank. They often get things wrong.

They appear to be more concerned about being the first to report something at the expense of the details.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

I got PE (the visa that you get when in the elite program) and no insurance (got enough cash to cover anything except perhaps a brain transplant). I don't know if anybody ever bothers to extend the permission to stay when having a PE visa, as it gives 1y every entry. The extension would probably have to be on the usual terms so any insurance requirement would apply.

The only reason I'd take an insurance is to satisfy yet more hoops. Cold hard cash works better.
That's the point. If on Elite and doing the extensions in country good chance if they're enforcing on extensions that they would do that on Elite extensions too. However who knows they could change the rules and make Elite people show proof upon every entry.

44 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It says only O-A VISAs, nothing mentioned about extensions.

Why are you worrying about nothing?

You are right wait until it is included in a new police order , and if not wait until the I.O in front on application day demand it anyway:whistling: ...T.I.T mean time those who does not see it so , can have still a good night sleep 

in other words it is like the saying : "show a monkey rope ….and he climb" :biggrin:

meaning any more power they can get on us is welcome to them to make us jump 

Edited by david555

Nothing about extensions?

"According to Nattawuth, the new rule applies to both new applicants for the non-immigrant visa (O-A), which offers a stay of up to one year, and those wishing to renew their visa. Each renewal is valid for one year."

Yes. Renewing an OA visa, not extending an Extension of Stay.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

It's a cruel world, sure, but there are a lot of Thai's that can use the money/facilities allocated in the system that goes on X-pats who use up their system by not paying for the services they have used, after all, they are not tax payers or citizens, so the government is well within its rights to protect it's system for its people and if you can't accept that, then that's "up to you" as they say

Please explain why the Thai Ministry of Health cannot allow Expats to buy into the Thai Government Medical system and pay a reasonable premium.  Thai citizens who enter the United States can get no cost medical coverage easily and if they remain and work can get Social Security benefits.

Another solution would be an agreement between the Thai Government and various countries like the EU and USA to cover  people under their National Insurance coverage- If from America and receiving Medicare- bill the US Medicare System- which would be much less than if the citizen received  treatment in the US. 

There are many ways that coverage can be accorded. What I dislike is the fact that there are a limited numbers of Companies that will provide the coverage in Thailand and if one is a Senior the premium is  very high.  Medical care is a human right.  it's time to take the profit out of someone's suffering.

The current proposal is nothing but a money grab- provides little coverage for the price- and will do nothing to solve anyone's problems- certainly not the expat who is being bled by the Government policies.

• Thanks 2

So many experts spewing forth about something that has not been officially implemented. The future is hard to predict, particularly when no one in TVF land has actually gone through this insurance requirement. I will wait and see how this evolves.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

Nothing about extensions?

"According to Nattawuth, the new rule applies to both new applicants for the non-immigrant visa (O-A), which offers a stay of up to one year, and those wishing to renew their visa. Each renewal is valid for one year."

An extension of stay isn't a Visa.

10 hours ago, globalnomad12 said:

Can anyone confirm the actual date when this mandatory health in surname policy kicks in?  My annual retirement visa extension date is June 2019

I went to pay my renewal today, due 25th May, and got whisked off to see the head man at AA Visa who was pushing me to switch to Pacific Cross.  My passport shows a Non-O visa not O-A so after reading a lot on here not sure what to do.  If I need to change I've only got a very few days to make up my mind and of course changing companies brings the risk of exclusions and even refusal.

3 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Please explain why the Thai Ministry of Health cannot allow Expats to buy into the Thai Government Medical system and pay a reasonable premium.  Thai citizens who enter the United States can get no cost medical coverage easily and if they remain and work can get Social Security benefits.

Another solution would be an agreement between the Thai Government and various countries like the EU and USA to cover  people under their National Insurance coverage- If from America and receiving Medicare- bill the US Medicare System- which would be much less than if the citizen received  treatment in the US. 

There are many ways that coverage can be accorded. What I dislike is the fact that there are a limited numbers of Companies that will provide the coverage in Thailand and if one is a Senior the premium is  very high.  Medical care is a human right.  it's time to take the profit out of someone's suffering.

The current proposal is nothing but a money grab- provides little coverage for the price- and will do nothing to solve anyone's problems- certainly not the expat who is being bled by the Government policies.

I cannot answer your question, perhaps write to the Minister, not being sarcastic, he might answer your question ?

I believe the proposal is one way of addressing a problem that has been going on for a while, e.g. the guy who got bit by the shark while on holiday, he still owes the hospital 350,000 baht, his insurance lapsed a day earlier or so if I recall correctly and he lives up north in Thailand.

Who's fault is that, not Thailand's, and he should pay for his visit to the hospital for treatment, hence the reason or one of the reason this has come about, it's obviously been going on for too long and they don't want anymore money wasted on non citizens.

Where I come from, it's a problem as well: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6540667/The-working-holiday-Tourists-students-racking-massive-hospital-fees-fleeing-Australia.html

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That's the point. If on Elite and doing the extensions in country good chance if they're enforcing on extensions that they would do that on Elite extensions too. However who knows they could change the rules and make Elite people show proof upon every entry.

stop playing the twisted game with bringing elite into so nany of your comments on so many threads,its twisted and mostly disrespectful to 1000's of elite holders, we should respect all visa holders, and whats happening with o-a visa will eventually happen to everyone, from short term tourists, marriage, everyone one of us, they mentioned this in their greedy plan a while back, they will start with one section of foreigners as a test and move into every area of foreigners. thats if the plan succeeds, who knows, who knows if the health industry will still have the same power with another crew in power

lets face it this crime gang will sell their grandmothers and elephants to make money, thats how bad they are, but to think in a cowardly way and say, ooh what about these visas holders, is not looking at the larger picture, we all will be affected if they stay in power

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

I am sure, with the proficiency of English within the Thai immigration, this should not pose any problems ! ???? ???? ????

And yes if u are to old where they think u pass at age they are going to discuss  for u to have more money in bank so at will cover u so they just not scamming u for the 800000 now they want to scam u for more

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm not even sure if you can extend it as most extensions require non-immigrant status, which PE doesn't give you. There might be a clause in the police order or another hidden one, I haven't checked. That said yes they could enforce it upon entry. Makes approaching that dedicated IO booth just a tad less pleasurable.