Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

webfact

17 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Renewals mentioned. Translation issues. Don't get overconfident.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Ubon Joe wrote, " only for OA long stay visas applied for at a embassy or official consulate in you home country.

All information we have is that it does not apply to extensions of stay based upon retirement or any other extension."

Apparently you disagree with him. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

What a load of rubbish.

It should be mandatory "worldwide" that long stayers or tourists have some form of hospital cover, no doubt a lot will disagree with my view and that's fine.

The question is, why should governments have to foot the bill, i.e. tax payers of that country.

It should be the responsibility of every individual to cover themselves and their families, if not, make it mandatory, I have no issue with it, and if others do, well they are entitled to their opinions.

Like I said earlier, I am covered and so is my family, this is not a troll, if you cannot get insured or cannot afford it, then that is a problem, but you cannot seriously expect the country you are a guest in to cover your hospital bills if you can't get insured or afford it.

It's a cruel world, sure, but there are a lot of Thai's that can use the money/facilities allocated in the system that goes on X-pats who use up their system by not paying for the services they have used, after all, they are not tax payers or citizens, so the government is well within its rights to protect it's system for its people and if you can't accept that, then that's "up to you" as they say here. 

I have enough money to pay my bill i don't need any extra outlay. And yes we are taxpayers every time you go to  7/11 you pay tax. Get off your high horse !

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Please explain why the Thai Ministry of Health cannot allow Expats to buy into the Thai Government Medical system and pay a reasonable premium.  Thai citizens who enter the United States can get no cost medical coverage easily and if they remain and work can get Social Security benefits.

Another solution would be an agreement between the Thai Government and various countries like the EU and USA to cover  people under their National Insurance coverage- If from America and receiving Medicare- bill the US Medicare System- which would be much less than if the citizen received  treatment in the US. 

There are many ways that coverage can be accorded. What I dislike is the fact that there are a limited numbers of Companies that will provide the coverage in Thailand and if one is a Senior the premium is  very high.  Medical care is a human right.  it's time to take the profit out of someone's suffering.

The current proposal is nothing but a money grab- provides little coverage for the price- and will do nothing to solve anyone's problems- certainly not the expat who is being bled by the Government policies.

Please show me proof where "Thai citizens who enter the United States can get no cost medical coverage easily". 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Another smug, nonsense post. Someone who thinks what he chooses to do should apply to all. Who thinks that all his fellow expats are on the bones of their backsides, scrounging off the Thai system. How incredibly patronising! How about those who prefer to self insure? I have more than enough to cover any eventuality, but prefer not to gamble my hard earned on insurance which will be damned expensive and may not pay out anyway because of a pre-existing condition.

My wife and stepdaughter are covered because they're Thai, but I've paid cash whenever they've needed treatment. Despite being 74 yoa, I'm incredibly fit and healthy. Paying vast amounts each year would be money down the drain.

If they're looking for a solution, the best bet would be to allow people to use the 800,000 in the bank for their visa extension. At least that way, if the treatment was expensive, they'd have some of the bill covered.

I'm certain that the problem isn't with the long term expats anyway, I personally don't know, or have even heard of an expat not having the means to pay a hospital bill. If anything, it's the tourists who come without travel insurance who ride uninsured motorbikes and have really nasty accidents who're a problem. Some might say that it's also another way for the powers that be, along with the insurance company elites to line their pockets.

My family have a great life here, mainly because of me providing for them. I'll be unable to do this if I have to pay a massive annual insurance premium.

As i said IF these long term expats aint paid WHY haven't immigration tracked them down ?????????????????????????????????????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

As i said IF these long term expats aint paid WHY haven't immigration tracked them down ?????????????????????????????????????

How about all the Thais who go to u.k on a 2 year Visa and get free NHS I dont see u moaning about at who paying then the tax payer

9 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Ubon Joe wrote, " only for OA long stay visas applied for at a embassy or official consulate in you home country.

All information we have is that it does not apply to extensions of stay based upon retirement or any other extension."

Apparently you disagree with him. 

It's not clear from the posted articles whether or not they intend to include retirement extensions along with O-A visas...

But since the articles are talking about this as joint proposal/initiative from MFA, Immigration and MOPH, I'm betting it's going to end up including retirement extensions.  If it was only O-A visas, people who hold that visa never really need to deal with Immigration other than getting a re-entry permit for the 2nd year.

How about all the Thais who go to u.k on a 2 year Visa and get free NHS I dont see u moaning about at who paying then the tax payer
Unless they are permanently resident in the UK they will be billed for NHS charges, and if they are there on a Settlement visa or Leave to Remain, there is a £400 NHS surcharge which has to be paid.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Cambodia is currently my alternative choice of venue

Siem Reap of you're a Chiang Mai sort of person, Phnom Penh if you're a Pattaya/Bangkok sort of person, Kep/Kampot for Hua Hin lovers. Just under $300 for a 1 year multi entry ES VISA, no hoops if you're over 55.

And 50 cent beers and Happy Pizza

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ianezy0 said:

Well.....It was only November last year when I jumped through the hoops to obtain my retirement visa. Then a few months ago I cleared the jump bars to ensure I had the 800k. Now....they want me to be insured in case I injure myself on all these hurdles.

what next!!!!!

If you break your leg don't come running to me !:cheesy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

So whats the end game with endless visa crackdowns year after year?

All this started in 2009 with the crackdowns on the 30 day border runners....

And each year sense 2009 there has been tightening going on....

So 2009 to 2019 is 10 years of visa tightening.....The majority of expats will not survive another 10 years of tightening.... 

Retired expats only one tightening in 20 years.  I can take that. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Maybe we can get some sort of clarification from@ubonjoe ?

He wrote about 54 minutes ago, "only for OA long stay visas applied for at a embassy or official consulate in you home country.

No one wants to believe him as it's not to exciting. 

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A health insurance from abroad covers a year or the shorter period u pay for. That period does not correlate with the visa period. How do they mean to solve this. As usual decisions are made without thinking and proper research of facts and how it actually works.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, connda said:

Interesting comment from the wife just now.

"If you die, insurance pay me mai?"  Make of that what you wish.

Spot on mate , sounds like you found a good one, same me .

Lucky..

• Haha 1