'Like me, a little controversial' - Trump praises Hungary's anti-immigration PM Orban

webfact

'Like me, a little controversial' - Trump praises Hungary's anti-immigration PM Orban

By Jeff Mason

2019-05-13T223947Z_2_LYNXNPEF4C19O_RTROPTP_4_USA-HUNGARY.JPG

U.S. President Donald Trump greets Hungary's Prime Minister Viktor Orban in the Oval Office at the White House in Washington, U.S., May 13, 2019. REUTERS/Carlos Barria

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump praised Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban on Monday, describing him as "like me, a little controversial," and brushing off concerns about threats to democratic norms in Hungary during Orban's tenure.

Welcoming the right-wing Hungarian leader for a meeting in the Oval Office, Trump lauded him for being tough on immigration, a policy area in which the two leaders have similar visions.

"He's a respected man. And I know he's a tough man, but he's a respected man," Trump said, when asked whether he had concerns about a weakening of democracy in Hungary.

"He's done the right thing, according to many people, on immigration. And you look at some of the problems that they have in Europe that are tremendous because they've done it a different way than the prime minister," said Trump, who is often accused by critics of being too close to authoritarian leaders.

Orban, a nationalist, has often had conflicts with the European Union over his anti-immigration campaigns and judicial reforms.

He clashed with the administration of former U.S. President Barack Obama, a Democrat, over what critics said was an erosion of democratic values by his government.

Trump has also pushed what critics consider an anti-immigrant policy agenda, calling for a wall on the U.S. border with Mexico and banning travellers from several Muslim-majority countries at the beginning of his time in office.

Orban noted that his government had been elected several times.

"From the people, by the people, for the people. This is the basis for the Hungarian government," he said, adding, when pressed about the issue: "We have a new constitution accepted in 2011 and it's functioning well."

He said Hungary was proud to stand with the United States on "fighting against illegal migration" and other issues.

Senior Republican and Democratic members of the U.S. Congress told Trump in a letter on Friday they were concerned about Hungary's "downward democratic trajectory" and its close relationship with Russia. Hungary is a NATO ally.

Trump is often accused of cozying up to autocratic leaders. He has sought a close relationship with Russian President Vladimir Putin despite Russian meddling in the 2016 election and has praised his own relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, with whom he has held summits in Singapore and Vietnam.

Trump projected an air of kinship with Orban.

"Highly respected. Respected all over Europe," Trump said. "Probably, like me, a little bit controversial, but that's okay. That's okay. You've done a good job and you've kept your country safe."

(Additional reporting by Timothy Ahmann and Patricia Zengerle; Editing by Alistair Bell)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-05-14
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Keep in mind several members of Trump’s campaign team made visits to Budapest and then went to the trouble of lying under oath about ever having set foot in Hungary.

Trump might very well have other reasons to get very pally with Orban.

2017 Conspiracy theory article

https://budapestbeacon.com/trump-russia-investigation-hungarian-thread/

Edited by riclag

2 hours ago, webfact said:

From the people, by the people, for the people.

As noted in The Quote Verifier and other sources, Lincoln’s phrase “government of the people, by the people, for the people” is the best known use of the of/by/for the people formula, but Lincoln probably adapted his version from a similar phrase used in the 1850s by abolitionist preacher Theodore Parker.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

explain how protecting your country from mass illegal immigration and islamisation is 'racist'. Patriotism and  defending western values has nothing to do with 'hate'.

Explain how spewing hate protects the USA from mass illegal immigration. 

The problem is the hate spewer in the oval office hired many illegal aliens in his own organizations. What a hypocrite. 

The corporate owners of the trump and his willfully blind supporters WANT illegal immigration to depress wages. If  you want to stop the flow of illegal immigration stop hiring illegal workers!! The republican party does not want that as their money masters don't want that. So explain to me why republicans WANT illegal immigration. 

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, jm91 said:

Explain how spewing hate protects the USA from mass illegal immigration. 

The problem is the hate spewer in the oval office hired many illegal aliens in his own organizations. What a hypocrite. 

The corporate owners of the trump and his willfully blind supporters WANT illegal immigration to depress wages. If  you want to stop the flow of illegal immigration stop hiring illegal workers!! The republican party does not want that as their money masters don't want that. So explain to me why republicans WANT illegal immigration. 

What ever the result of illegal border crossing doesn't matter! It's still illegal! If people want to come to the USA (hundreds of thousands do it legally). Stand in line

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, riclag said:

What ever the result of illegal border crossing doesn't matter! It's still illegal! If people want to come to the USA (hundreds of thousands do it legally). Stand in line

When did seeking asylum become illegal?did I miss something?no I dident 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Tug said:

Asylum seeking is not illegal

The hate mongers have gotten their minds filled with trump and they can not think straight.  Illegal immigration was a minor political issue until trump latched onto it and whipped up fear. The reality is most illegal immigrants are in the USA for jobs. If people like tump stopped hiring illegal immigrants they would not stay. 

Additionally, the USA like is signatory to treaties granting certain people rights as political etc. refugees. Many trumpers I have talked to think of themselves as rule of law types but they are more than willing to break the law - including obligations under international treaties - to punish people who they don't like. 

So seeking asylum is not illegal but the actions of the liar in the oval office aimed at punishing asylum seekers is illegal. However, the conservatives I talk to on this issues can not understand the complexity of the issue. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Tug said:

I didn't say that "asylum"

"What ever the result of illegal border crossing doesn't matter! It's still illegal! If people want to come to the USA (hundreds of thousands do it legally). Stand in line" 

Edited by riclag
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, jm91 said:

Asylum seeking is not illegal

The hate mongers have gotten their minds filled with trump and they can not think straight.  Illegal immigration was a minor political issue until trump latched onto it and whipped up fear. The reality is most illegal immigrants are in the USA for jobs. If people like tump stopped hiring illegal immigrants they would not stay. 

Additionally, the USA like is signatory to treaties granting certain people rights as political etc. refugees. Many trumpers I have talked to think of themselves as rule of law types but they are more than willing to break the law - including obligations under international treaties - to punish people who they don't like. 

So seeking asylum is not illegal but the actions of the liar in the oval office aimed at punishing asylum seekers is illegal. However, the conservatives I talk to on this issues can not understand the complexity of the issue. 

Illegal immigration was always a minor political issue,no,Illegal immigration has always been a major issue even  before Mr. Trump. They stared building that poor excuse of a barrier in 1990 along the SB ! Why did they build it ,cause there was a problem of illegal entry

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, riclag said:

Illegal immigration has always been a major issue before Mr. Trump. They stared building that poor excuse of a barrier in 1990 along the SB ! Why did they build it ,cause there was a problem of illegal entry

The fallacy of Trump’s illegal immigration cris has been explained to you more than once.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The fallacy of Trump’s illegal immigration cris has been explained to you more than once.

by  you

Edited by riclag
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1