Extension of stay, health insurance and CW

Since I'll be trying for my first extension of stay based on retirement at CW in a few weeks, the new health insurance requirement (see thread started by Webfact today) is an unwelcome wrench in the works.

I'd appreciate it if folks going to CW for their extension of stay would post info on whether and how TI is asking about health insurance.   Actual experience, rather than speculation, would be most appreciated.  ;-)

Thanks.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The new requirement is currently only for OA visa applications.  To be honest though, why wouldn't you have health insurance if you're living here?

To be honest it was never a requirement , now it appears to be and the aged with pre existing who previously self insured it’s just another reason to worry.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration will not be wanting to see proof of medical insurance.

The article in the news is only for applying for a OA long stay visa at the Thai embassy in you home country.

I know this could be considered splitting hairs but I read 'renewals' as extensions. It just seems to make sense that any longstayer has some sort of coverage. Otherwise one would show insurance for the first years (2 if played right) and then go uninsured after that. Maybe the Thai gov't thinks the bank deposits cover the longstayer after the O-A expires.

We'll know the details as they unfold.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jmd8800 said:

I know this could be considered splitting hairs but I read 'renewals' as extensions. It just seems to make sense that any longstayer has some sort of coverage. Otherwise one would show insurance for the first years (2 if played right) and then go uninsured after that. Maybe the Thai gov't thinks the bank deposits cover the longstayer after the O-A expires.

I would not hold your breath on that one....

The 65,000 deposited every month has been a cesspool of murkiness from day one and is still open to interpretation...

I would not expect any different from heath insurance....Actually probably worse....  

• Like 1

Yes the news article specifically mentioned 'renewals'. However it wont affect the OP until it passes into law.