Thai family visiting France

Hello can anyone tell me the easiest way to fnd info about taking my wife  her Son thai nationals and my son born in thailand holding a brittish passport ..want to bring them on holiday here to france for 2 weeks anything i need to know 

2 hours ago, Enki said:

You need a Schengen Visa, you can get one in Bangkok, but I don't know which EU embassy does it, or in Chiang Mai, there you get it from the German Consulate.

You cannot get a Schengen visa for France via the Germans... the rules say one must apply at the embassy or consular that is the main purpose of the journey (ie: most time spent).

See the Schengen sticky topic near the top of this forum for details.

The French embassy website has country specific instructions on its procedures though the general requirements are same for all member states. One can apply at the embassy directly (with appointment!) Or via the optional service provider (tls). 

A Briton going to France with his legal family members (spouse, minors) can use the rules for EU family members: free visa, issued ASAP with minimal paperwork.  Again,  see the sticky topic. ????

On 5/14/2019 at 11:29 PM, Donutz said:

You cannot get a Schengen visa for France via the Germans... the rules say one must apply at the embassy or consular that is the main purpose of the journey (ie: most time spent).

That is wrong. The German consulate in Chiang Mai handles all Schengen Visa of north Thailand.

In Bangkok you might find different embassies (note: embassies, not consulates) of different Schengen nations handling that. 

On 5/14/2019 at 11:29 PM, Donutz said:

A Briton going to France with his legal family members (spouse, minors) can use the rules for EU family members: free visa, issued ASAP with minimal paperwork.  Again,  see the sticky topic.

As UK is not member of the Schengen Treaty, I doubt that.

Doubt or not, the answer was correct.It’s nothing to do with the UK not being a Schengen State, the UK is currently a member of the EU and as such spouses of UK nationals are entitled to an expedited Schengen Visa with the minimum of evidence and issued free.

Of course we’ve voted to give up this “perk” so if the UK leaves the EU that perk will go.

Your other comment is also wrong, the German Consulate in Chiang Mai does not handle all applications for Schengen Visas in the north of the country, only for those whose main destination is Germany and live in that catchment area, or if their itinerary requires that they apply for a visa because Germany is their entry point into the Schengen Area.

Applicants need to apply to the appropriate Embassy or Consulate, be they located in Bangkok or Chiang Mai.

For reference, the Schengen code on Visa:

--

Article 5

Member State competent for examining and deciding on an application

1.   The Member State competent for examining and deciding on an application for a uniform visa shall be:

(a)

the Member State whose territory constitutes the sole destination of the visit(s);

(b)

if the visit includes more than one destination, the Member State whose territory constitutes the main destination of the visit(s) in terms of the length or purpose of stay; or

(c)

if no main destination can be determined, the Member State whose external border the applicant intends to cross in order to enter the territory of the Member States

--

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/ALL/?uri=CELEX:32009R0810

And regarding a free visa under EU directive 2004/38:

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/entry-exit/non-eu-family/index_en.htm

https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/visa-policy_en

Though yes, as soon as the UK is lit of the EU it's likely that this EU policy (EU directive 2004/38l

) will.no longer apply. Unless the UK and EU would agree to keep this directive in place.

As a side note: said EU directive goes both ways btw: a German and their Thai spouse can get a free UK visa with minimal paperwork  (called a EEA family permit by Ukvi). But that's of concern to the OP.

On 5/17/2019 at 3:24 PM, theoldgit said:

Your other comment is also wrong, the German Consulate in Chiang Mai does not handle all applications for Schengen Visas in the north of the country, only for those whose main destination is Germany and live in that catchment area, or if their itinerary requires that they apply for a visa because Germany is their entry point into the Schengen Area.

Sorry, you are missinformed. All other consulates in Chiang Mai have delegated the Schengen Visa processing to the German consulate, years ago. At least that is what the German Consulate claims, so why would it be wrong?

On 5/14/2019 at 6:29 PM, Donutz said:

See the Schengen sticky topic near the top of this forum for details.

The French embassy website has country specific instructions on its procedures though the general requirements are same for all member states. One can apply at the embassy directly (with appointment!) Or via the optional service provider (tls). 

A Briton going to France with his legal family members (spouse, minors) can use the rules for EU family members: free visa, issued ASAP with minimal paperwork.  Again,  see the sticky topic. ????

So just contact french embassy in bangkok ..and ask what paperwork is needed ..or what is tls optional provider ..please 

Sorry, you are missinformed. All other consulates in Chiang Mai have delegated the Schengen Visa processing to the German consulate, years ago. At least that is what the German Consulate claims, so why would it be wrong?
Maybe you could provide a link to the corrected information, that might help future applicants and indeed myself.
I don’t doubt what you’re saying, but it flies in the face of Schengen Area rules.

So just contact french embassy in bangkok ..and ask what paperwork is needed ..or what is tls optional provider ..please 
Applicants are advised to check the French Embassy Website for advice on the correct documents to be submitted for relevant visa classes, the French would point you in that direction if approached.
TLS are contracted by the French to receive visa applications, and whilst applicants are encouraged to deposit their applications via tls, at an extra cost, it is not compulsory. Applicants are legally allowed to submit applications directly, so tls is optional, I suspect you already knew that.

On 5/14/2019 at 9:21 PM, Enki said:

You need a Schengen Visa, you can get one in Bangkok, but I don't know which EU embassy does it, or in Chiang Mai, there you get it from the German Consulate.

I know the German Honorary Consul personally and regarding his own words, he's not allowed to do that for non-Germans. You need to apply at your embassy. 

• 2 months later...
On 5/20/2019 at 10:48 AM, theoldgit said:

Applicants are advised to check the French Embassy Website for advice on the correct documents to be submitted for relevant visa classes, the French would point you in that direction if approached.
TLS are contracted by the French to receive visa applications, and whilst applicants are encouraged to deposit their applications via tls, at an extra cost, it is not compulsory. Applicants are legally allowed to submit applications directly, so tls is optional, I suspect you already knew that.

Sorry but what is tls.. 

On 5/19/2019 at 9:31 PM, Harveyboy said:

Hello ive been on sites about  tls not read a good word seems like direct to the embassy  i think tks for the help 

• 2 months later...
On 10/5/2019 at 9:13 PM, Matzzon said:

This is a common ignorance between banks in EU and banks outside of EU, especially Asia. 

The only thing you will need to provide to send money to Thailand is: Account name, Account number, Bank Name, Swift/BIC code and the amount.

That is something that your French bank should be aware of.

41 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

Ok so got the cash transfered my bank in france said no fee   but 60 euros was taken by someone ..my thai bank said 500bth max to deposit took 1000 so in all 90 euros total to transfer .....

In that case your French bank is fooling you. Banks in EU always charge a fee for international transfers. Hell, all banks around the world will charge you for an international transfer. Not even a transfer inside EU is going to be free. 

I have Bangkok Bank and they charge me 500 baht. I had the same problem with German Deutsche Bank, that charged 40 euro, and I thought that was much. ???? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

No, that is the list with requirement for regular applicants. The non EU (read: Thai) spouse of an EU national falls under Freedom of Movement directive 2004/38.  See page 1 of this topic. The visa should be free, issued ASAP and only require her and your ID (her passport, copy of yours) and making evident that she will join you in France for short or long stay.

On 5/19/2019 at 11:02 PM, Enki said:

I got a schengen at German consulate chiang mai a couple of years ago and the consul made it VERY clear that it would only be granted if I spent more nights in Germany than in France, Spain and Italy (individually) which we were also visiting. He then said that if we dared to change our itinerary to game his system, he would 'know' and therer would be consequences. (I didnt test that to see if it was just BS)

Unfortunate as, for our next lengthy trip to Spain we certainly diont want to spend more nights in germany, so off to Bangkok for the schengen from Spanish guys.

On 5/17/2019 at 2:42 PM, Enki said:

That is wrong. The German consulate in Chiang Mai handles all Schengen Visa of north Thailand.

In Bangkok you might find different embassies (note: embassies, not consulates) of different Schengen nations handling that. 

You seem to be right. I know the German Konsul well and could ask him some particular questions. 

But here's a part of the website: Annahme von Visa-Anträgen (Schengen- und D-Visa), Aushändigung der visierten Pässe 

In English: Acceptance of visa applications ( Schengen and D-

(Germany- Deutschland) visas, delivery of the visa issued passports. If it says Schengen and German visa applications, it's gotta include the OP's country. 

OP, please give Mr Hagen Dirksen a call. He's the Konsul in CM.

Leader

Hagen E.W. Dirksen, Honorarkonsul

Place

Chiang Mai

Phone

+66 53 83 87 35

Mobile phone

+66 (0) 83 573 7747

Fax

+66 53 83 87 35

3 hours ago, Donutz said:

No, that is the list with requirement for regular applicants. The non EU (read: Thai) spouse of an EU national falls under Freedom of Movement directive 2004/38.  See page 1 of this topic. The visa should be free, issued ASAP and only require her and your ID (her passport, copy of yours) and making evident that she will join you in France for short or long stay.

Thanks can uyou tell me a little more i want to travel with my wife Thai my young stepson Thai  and my son born here he os 2 years old and has a British passport ..how do i start the procedure   and where  thanks for any help this hasn't been easy ...

On 11/26/2019 at 4:53 PM, Harveyboy said:

Thanks can uyou tell me a little more i want to travel with my wife Thai my young stepson Thai  and my son born here he os 2 years old and has a British passport ..how do i start the procedure   and where  thanks for any help this hasn't been easy ...

Sure, simply check the French embassy's webpage on visa requirements for family of EU/EEA nationals:

https://france-visas.gouv.fr/en_US/web/france-visas/family-of-european-national

(I copy pasted the link from a post by TOG in the other French visa topic that's currently active)

On 11/26/2019 at 2:06 PM, beau thai said:

I got a schengen at German consulate chiang mai a couple of years ago and the consul made it VERY clear that it would only be granted if I spent more nights in Germany than in France, Spain and Italy (individually) which we were also visiting. He then said that if we dared to change our itinerary to game his system, he would 'know' and therer would be consequences. (I didnt test that to see if it was just BS)

Unfortunate as, for our next lengthy trip to Spain we certainly diont want to spend more nights in germany, so off to Bangkok for the schengen from Spanish guys.

That does not sound like Hagen E.W. Dirksen. Probably you talked to a employee? Obviously when you are in the Schengen area no one knows were you go. As there are no borders and no border checks. As the German General Consul is responsible for _all_ Schengen visa, it makes double no sense. 

On 10/25/2019 at 12:58 PM, Harveyboy said:

Ok so got the cash transfered my bank in france said no fee   but 60 euros was taken by someone ..my thai bank said 500bth max to deposit took 1000 so in all 90 euros total to transfer .....

Many French people transfer money to Thailand with Transferwise; French bank BNP Paribas takes 9.50 € for a transfer of 6000 € to Thailand ; 60 € is a scam

and true, transfer in Sepa zone is free that's why Transferwise is good, money is first transfered to England then Thailand 

Archived