Mandatory health insurance for foreigners aged over 50 in Thailand - why it may not affect you

webfact

5 hours ago, userabcd said:

The visa in your passport shows it is either an O visa or an O-A visa

Sorry, these confusing terms.

The stamp I have is - as I now understand it - not a visa.

It is a stamp (not a label) saying 'RETIREMENT..extension of permission to stay'. Issued by the local immigration.

My first and only 'visa' years ago was the Non-Immigrant O-A visa. Issued by a thai embassy outside Thailand.

So I am here based on an extension of a permission to stay and not based on an extension of a Non-Immigrant O-A visa.

As also indicated in the article  the term 'renewal of a Non-Immigrant O-A visa' doesn't make much sense as this is not possible.

The term 're-applying' seems to be suggested instead.

Such a 're-applying' takes place only at a thai embassy (and not at a local immigration office in Thailand)

4 hours ago, mamypoko said:

Nobody knew healthcare could be so complicated

4 hours ago, zydeco said:

It's 400,000 more than what they are requiring for the insurance policy.

Everything becomes complicated when Thai bureaucrats start trying to organise something.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, carbon007 said:

It is a stamp (not a label) saying 'RETIREMENT..extension of permission to stay'. Issued by the local immigration.

My first and only 'visa' years ago was the Non-Immigrant O-A visa. Issued by a thai embassy outside Thailand.

So I am here based on an extension of a permission to stay and not based on an extension of a Non-Immigrant O-A visa.

As also indicated in the article  the term 'renewal of a Non-Immigrant O-A visa' doesn't make much sense as this is not possible.

Such a 're-applying' takes place only at a thai embassy (and not at a local immigration office in Thailand)

mine is an O visa extended for retirement. You have an O-A extended for retirement.  

So I would like to know why is the discussion that the new insurance doesn't relate to us? 

Edited by bigginhill
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Maybe do some research before making statments that the insurance isnt available

Here is a list of several insurance companies that offer the 400/40 insurance requirements. These companies have been offering this insurance ever since the OX visa was introduced, the OX has the same 400k in/40k out requirements.

https://longstay.tgia.org

Try stating their age limits and policy prices. It won't look so pretty then.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, carbon007 said:

I have no doubt when they say O-A Visa renewal they mean whether getting a new O-A Visa in the home country or an "Extension of Stay" in Thailand based on your original visa long expired.  They were just using simple language.

28 minutes ago, bigginhill said:

so both O and O-A have the same extension. There are no differences for who is here on retirement. So we are Long Stay either with O or with O-A.   

No point in saying it doesn't apply then.

An extension of stay is a different animal, you get it when your visa/stay runs out. An extension isnt an extension of a previous visa or a renewal of a previous visa, its an extension of your stay in thailand.

You can walk into immigration with no visa and walk out with an extension.

The insurance is for OA visa and an OA visa cant be extended or renewed, what you get after the visa finishes is irrelevant to the OA insurance requirements.

Edited by Peterw42

I am alost sure that "Chief of the MoPH" was not familiar with the visa regulations.

He wants people over 50 and permitted to stay as longstayers to have insurance. The only categorie where all are over  50 are those with O-A :

The O-A applicant is over 50 and is permitted to stay for one year (Annual) and when he gets extensions he is still over 50 so he must have insurance

what he did not say but makes sence to me: 

for the rest of visa typs insurance is compulsory when an extension for one year is possible and the applicant is over 50

My thoughts...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

You can't extend your visa but you can extend your stay, that's when you would show money in Thai account 2 months before 3 months after etc. 

Great. Thanks Peterw42. As long as I can extend my stay. Then I will move over to the 800/400k requirement and no (as speculated) requirement for HI.

so for anyone applying for a New oa visa, it will now cost around another 50k in HI for the year. Probably the end of any of these visa applications. Cheers

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Thanks for the heads-up. If your "insider" info is right, the writing is on the wall for expats unable to afford the sky-high insurance premiums or too old/infirm to qualify for cover.

Hopefully, between now and implementation, the Thais will address the situation of these "uninsurables" and - as has been hinted by the Thai immigration spokesman - let them stay if they can show they have the means to cover their future medical needs. 

Otherwise, a mere six weeks from now, many aging falangs face being refused a visa extension and forced to exit the country at short notice. In many instances they will have no choice but to leave behind loved ones, including dependants and/or carers.

I gather a Forum petition is being organised highlighting the potential plight of the "uninsurables", targeted at Thai immigration. We also need to inform our own governments about the wave of repatriations they will face from "refugees" forced out of Thailand by the red tape.

The threat of having to deal with yet another "refugee crisis" - particularly of the costly sick and elderly - might galvanize them into to lobbying the Thai government for a more humane visa policy.

We live in hope.

so both O and O-A have the same extension. There are no differences for who is here on retirement. So we are Long Stay either with O or with O-A.   
No point in saying it doesn't apply then.
The new requirement is for applying for an OA or OX visa. These are long-stay visas that can only be applied for at an overseas Consulate or Embassy. It is not required for Extensions of any kind, which are dealt with at Immigration offices in Thailand.

Why do people persist in over-complicating it?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

People on an O-A stay for up to 2 years without putting any money in a Thai account. Maybe thats part of the whole idea to do with insurance for O-A

But they still have to show 800.000 bht which should be enough to get them home for medical treatment. if necessary

The whole immigration picture for someone in my situation seems to be getting just too muddled and uncertain. I'm at the point where I'm not sure where I stand, and I don't feel terribly motivated to try to sort it all out. I certainly don't want to jump through all the hoops and then find out that they've moved the goalposts again, or a new or changed requirement means I get refused entry when I arrive.

For some strange reason, Thai bureaucracy seems to think it's good to always be changing or talk about changing the rules. It's like they have an attitude that it shouldn't be a straight-forward and reliable situation.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

But they still have to show 800.000 bht which should be enough to get them home for medical treatment. if necessary

No not even close. A medivac flight will cost many many multiples

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Inn Between said:

The whole immigration picture for someone in my situation seems to be getting just too muddled and uncertain. I'm at the point where I'm not sure where I stand, and I don't feel terribly motivated to try to sort it all out. I certainly don't want to jump through all the hoops and then find out that they've moved the goalposts again, or a new or changed requirement means I get refused entry when I arrive.

For some strange reason, Thai bureaucracy seems to think it's good to always be changing or talk about changing the rules. It's like they have an attitude that it shouldn't be a straight-forward and reliable situation.  

Summary: TIT

22 minutes ago, carbon007 said:

Yes that right, embassies issue visa's, immigration offices issue extensions.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

Many in this age group have Thai families. So it appears that the government don't give a toss that the ones involved will have to desert their families if on an O-A visa.

The original story did say "new" OA applicants. so presume current OA would not be subject to immediate insurance requirements.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pib said:

I have no doubt when they say O-A Visa renewal they mean whether getting a new O-A Visa in the home country or an "Extension of Stay" in Thailand based on your original visa long expired.  They were just using simple language.

Including retirement extensions.  The only question is when does it take effect?  July 1, 2019?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

No mention of the insurance requirement on the DC Consulate site, yet.  I plan on applying for a Non O-A from there in the next few weeks, but probably not traveling to Thailand until early July.

I assume if the visa is granted....they can't retroactively require the insurance?

(Plan on getting it anyway,but not sure possible at this point without a thai address?)

3 hours ago, Cranky said:

It is crystal clear that anyone, any age, anywhere on the planet should have adequate health and accident insurance at home, on holiday or if they live or are outside of a country like the UK that has a NHS.  Why should someone else be expected to foot the bill if you get sick, crash your rental motorbike (regardless of fault) or get banged on the head by a ladyboy out to nick your wallet (regardless of fault). 

What is it with people that think they are bullet-proof as soon as they board a plane?

Do you live at Pattaya or visit there often ? 

• Like 1

Great. Thanks Peterw42. As long as I can extend my stay. Then I will move over to the 800/400k requirement and no (as speculated) requirement for HI.

so for anyone applying for a New oa visa, it will now cost around another 50k in HI for the year. Probably the end of any of these visa applications. Cheers

Ian, your OA visa will have a date of issue and a enter before/valid until date on it ( 1 year minus 1 day from date of issue ).

Your OA expires on the enter before/valid until date but if you leave the country you will notice you get an admitted until stamp valid for one year. So, if you leave the country and re enter slightly before your visa expires you can obtain nearly 2 years from the visa ( i got 23 months from mine ), a simple land crossing is all that is needed.

NOTE: you will need a re-entry permit for any travel outside of Thailand after your visa expires.

The 1st year you are using your Multi entry OA visa, the second year you are on permission to stay which you then extend at the end of the 2nd year and every year thereafter.( or return “ home “ for another every 2 years ).

The Thai financial requirements will start when you extend after 2 years, hence the advantage of the OA is good for 2 years without any money tied up in Thailand.

The health insurance is required for obtaining the OA so if you already have one you should be good to go, although it’s all a little vague at the moment.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Thailand said:

There is not much money in it if only for Non-Immigrant Visa OA. And all the Thai insurance companies are already lining up for their slice and retirees are the pie.

Strange. So how/why would someone, applying for the visa in his home country, sign up with a Thailand-based insurance company?

And what is the point of this post? One needs health insurance when applying for the visa, but not for an extension... Should the visa holder cancel the insurance policy once he/she applies for an extension in Thailand, as it is not necessary anymore?

• Like 2